Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

I don't know if there is a more classic question to demonstrate how a language can vary by region. I say "pop" myself---that seems to be the prevalent term in my neck of the woods.
May 7th 2014 new
I knew right away where you are Russ and being a Michigander, we always called it pop too and after even living in Texas for so many years I still think of soda as if it had something to do with baking soda!
Also we always called a freeway an expressway !
May 7th 2014 new
I have always called it soda pop.
May 8th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-99681 said: I knew right away where you are Russ and being a Michigander, we always called it pop too and after even living in Texas for so many years I still think of soda as if it had something to do with baking soda!
Once a friend of mine from Washington, D.C. offered me a "coke". I was rather surprised when she went into her kitchen and returned with a Sprite. I had no idea at the time that in some parts of the country, "coke" is a generic term for soft drink.
May 8th 2014 new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: I have always called it soda pop.
I always thought pop meant dad .... then again when I heard pop also meant soda that made me scratchchin ..... pop out of bed ..... pop out books .... pop out dolls .... my fav is pop-sicle .... guess depends what you referring tooo at that particular time or moment .... enjoyed the post Russ thank you .... this so refreshing when speaking and meaning of language/names/etc....
May 8th 2014 new
(quote) Russ-959222 said: I don't know if there is a more classic question to demonstrate how a language can vary by region. I say "pop" myself---that seems to be the prevalent term in my neck of the woods.
I originally come from eastern Pennsylvania where it is referred to as "soda". I am now in northwestern PA it is referred to as "pop". I still stick to "soda".
May 8th 2014 new
who would ever figure out pop the question?
May 8th 2014 new
(quote) Jim-13836 said: I originally come from eastern Pennsylvania where it is referred to as "soda". I am now in northwestern PA it is referred to as "pop". I still stick to "soda".
I grew up in the same area as Jim (Wilmington, DE, just outside Philadelphia) at the same time. The common generic name was 'soda', although I occasionally heard 'pop' or 'soda pop'. as well.

'Coke' always referred to Coke-a-Cola, or perhaps occasionally to some other cola beverage, but I never encountered anyone who used 'coke' to refer to a non-cola soda.

There are a number of web pages reporting the regional variations in the name used for flavored carbonated beverages:

www.popvssoda.com
www4.ncsu.edu (covers a number of different items)

May 8th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-99681 said: I knew right away where you are Russ and being a Michigander, we always called it pop too and after even living in Texas for so many years I still think of soda as if it had something to do with baking soda!
I call it pop! And I call it a highway, not freeway or expressway.
May 8th 2014 new

pop

Posts 1 - 10 of 68