Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

I'm in disbelief?

May 10th 2014 new
My subscription is nearly up and I just received a confirmation from Catholicmatch that "they" decided to renew my subscription all on their own without an email or a notification to let me know. Really? Wow, I am very dissapointed in how they do business. Isn't that alot like stealing? I don't go to a store and check-out and allow the cashier to grab something and stick it in my bag and charge me for it?

Anyone else out there get the idea that this is not good business/religious practice? Catholic match, shame on your for not allowing me to receive an email pertaining to a renewed subscription. After having to view your "help" desk with questions, it is only then that you find out you have to "turn off" your auto renewal subscription. You claim that it is on there as not to disrupt service. Well, send an email to your customers and allow them the opportunity to decide wether or not they want their service disrupted prior to you automatically taking money out of peoples pockets.

I am sorry readers, but this practice really bothers me!
Sharon
May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said: My subscription is nearly up and I just received a confirmation from Catholicmatch that "they" decided to renew my subscription all on their own without an email or a notification to let me know. Really? Wow, I am very dissapointed in how they do business. Isn't that alot like stealing? I don't go to a store and check-out and allow the cashier to grab something and stick it in my bag and charge me for it?

Anyone else out there get the idea that this is not good business/religious practice? Catholic match, shame on your for not allowing me to receive an email pertaining to a renewed subscription. After having to view your "help" desk with questions, it is only then that you find out you have to "turn off" your auto renewal subscription. You claim that it is on there as not to disrupt service. Well, send an email to your customers and allow them the opportunity to decide wether or not they want their service disrupted prior to you automatically taking money out of peoples pockets.

Sharon
Sharon,
I set up all of my accounts on auto pay. I didn't set my acct. here on that feature because I wanted to see how it was going before I agreed to renew.

these are lessons in life that we all must learn. I'm sorry this was a shock factor for you.
May 10th 2014 new
This is a recurring payments feature that goes automatically unless you opt out. It should have been noticeable when you first signed up.
Depending on how soon your initial period expires, you may be able to cancel it....
May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Sharon-975094 said: My subscription is nearly up and I just received a confirmation from Catholicmatch that "they" decided to renew my subscription all on their own without an email or a notification to let me know. Really? Wow, I am very dissapointed in how they do business. Isn't that alot like stealing? I don't go to a store and check-out and allow the cashier to grab something and stick it in my bag and charge me for it?

Sharon
My experience has been that CM does send an advisory email 7 days before the subscription expires. This email is sent to the external address associated with your account (where browse notifications, etc. are sent), not to your on-site message page.When the auto-renew flag is set, the mail advises that the subscription will be renewed automatically. Following is one of the emails:

Your SINGLES subscription is scheduled to renew on Mar 15th 2010 at your discounted renewal price. As a valued subscriber you will receive a renewal discount of $25.00.

If you wish to change your subscription plan, or do not wish to continue your subscription at this time, please sign in to your account and make the necessary changes.

When the auto-renew flag is not set, the message advises that it must be set before the subscription expires to receive the discount.

While the site terms of service do not require that CM issue a refund whent he member has the auto-renew flag set, they may do so if you politely explain that you were not aware of the setting and did not receive the email. If you wish to take this path, to demonstrate good faith I suggest refraining from using the service other than to submit the Help ticket and check the status.

One final comment: even if CM did not send a reminder email, it does not seem appropriate to accuse them of deceptive business practices and theft for following the instructions you provided when you set up your account (i.e., to auto-renew). Once you decided you did not wish to renew your subscription, it was your responsibility to update the account settings.It is certainly understandable how you may have forgotten to do so, but this does not shift the responsibility to CM.

May 10th 2014 new

Sharon
Hi Sharon:

Our renewal status clearly states when our subscription will auto-renew. We then have the option to disable it with a simple click.

Tool gear in upper right corner of page --> account information --> current status as well as renewal status.

I don't think we are being misled in any way. I guess I'd be more concerned if my entire profile was removed because my subscription ended and I forgot to renew. I appreciate this courtesy from CM.

God bless you and have a wonderful weekend.

May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: My experience has been that CM does send an advisory email 7 days before the subscription expires. This email is sent to the external address associated with your account (where browse notifications, etc. are sent), not to your on-site message page.When the auto-renew flag is set, the mail advises that the subscription will be renewed automatically. Following is one of the emails:

Your SINGLES subscription is scheduled to renew on Mar 15th 2010 at your discounted renewal price. As a valued subscriber you will receive a renewal discount of $25.00.

If you wish to change your subscription plan, or do not wish to continue your subscription at this time, please sign in to your account and make the necessary changes.

When the auto-renew flag is not set, the message advises that it must be set before the subscription expires to receive the discount.

While the site terms of service do not require that CM issue a refund whent he member has the auto-renew flag set, they may do so if you politely explain that you were not aware of the setting and did not receive the email. If you wish to take this path, to demonstrate good faith I suggest refraining from using the service other than to submit the Help ticket and check the status.

One final comment: even if CM did not send a reminder email, it does not seem appropriate to accuse them of deceptive business practices and theft for following the instructions you provided when you set up your account (i.e., to auto-renew). Once you decided you did not wish to renew your subscription, it was your responsibility to update the account settings.It is certainly understandable how you may have forgotten to do so, but this does not shift the responsibility to CM.

hey jerry,
you may want to proof-read your post..the date to renew is incorrect. i hate typos, don't you.
May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: hey jerry,
you may want to proof-read your post..the date to renew is incorrect. i hate typos, don't you.
on the other hand, perhaps the 2010 year was her original sub date. probably.
May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: hey jerry,
Or the email was for a subscription renewal several years ago... wink

The message was sent on March 9, 2010 (OK - it was only 6 days before the subscription expired, not 7...) and was copied and pasted, not retyped, so you are seeing exactly what CM sent.

As it turns out that was the most recent message I had with auto-renew set, so I had to go with it even though it is a bit old. I have received similar emails (content appropriate to the account status at the time) for each renewal since then.

May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Nicole-1018166 said: I guess I'd be more concerned if my entire profile was removed because my subscription ended and I forgot to renew.

Just FYI - when a member's subscription expires they lose access to the features of the site that require paid membership, but the account is not disabled or deleted. A profile will be removed only upon user request, when the account is inactive for a prolonged period (18 months? Deb?), or if the account is closed by the staff for cause.

The one disadvantage of not having the auto-renew flag set when you do wish to renew is that you will not get the renewal discount.

May 10th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Just FYI - when a member's subscription expires they lose access to the features of the site that require paid membership, but the account is not disabled or deleted. A profile will be removed only upon user request, when the account is inactive for a prolonged period (18 months? Deb?), or if the account is closed by the staff for cause.

The one disadvantage of not having the auto-renew flag set when you do wish to renew is that you will not get the renewal discount.

Good to know. Thanks Jerry.
Posts 1 - 10 of 25