Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Hello I was wondering what everyone feels about dating a younger person for example if she is 10 or 15 years apart she is a single mother that's not issue just wondering if a decade or more could be maturity issues but what gets me my grandparents Rest There Soul were 15 years apart My Grandpa was older thank y'all and God Bless Y'all
May 13th 2014 new
Hi Jamie!
It depends on the person--some people are more mature for their age and very responsible, others aren't. A ten to fifteen year age difference might have been more acceptable during your grandparent's time. You must also take into account your compatibility--the more pronounced the age gap, the less you may have in common as a couple due to growing up in different decades. Physically, if you are 10- 15 years older are you going to be able to keep up with a younger woman? The average 60 year old male has far less energy than a 45-50 year old female. Again, all points for consideration but it all depends on the couple involved. biggrin Best of luck!
May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jaime-556629 said: Hello I was wondering what everyone feels about dating a younger person for example if she is 10 or 15 years apart she is a single mother that's not issue just wondering if a decade or more could be maturity issues but what gets me my grandparents Rest There Soul were 15 years apart My Grandpa was older thank y'all and God Bless Y'all
It depends also on which generation you are talking about. A 60 year old woman marrying a 70 year old man is not all that wild. A 30 year old woman marrying a 40 year old man is not all that wild either. But there is a generation in the middle that is different. Middle aged men may be looking for a younger woman who still wants to or is still capable of having children, and this drives him to look younger. It is more difficult for women in this age group because many men want a younger woman. In general, men do mature later than women do, and for this reason, it is normal to see the man being older than the woman in the 20s and early 30s. In the 40s this is generally no longer an issue.

In past generations, women were married at 14 or 15 and having very large families. I have heard stories in my family of 23 children and multiple sets of twins. In my own immediate family I am one of 7. An older established gentleman can also offer more financial stability to a younger woman. In those days, however, children died very young. So they had a lot of children to help work the family farm and take care of the parents when they are older.

Where the issues occur is when one or the other of them are really not happy with one another from the beginning, but they have a marriage of convenience or compromise or quid pro quo, i.e., she has something that he wants (beauty, sex appeal) and he has something that she wants (money, property, security, etc.). Of course this is a worldly arrangement; the foundation is wrong. I see older rich men marrying much younger women for their beauty, and this is not at all a good thing, because after 10 or 15 years at the first wrinkle, he is looking for the next young beauty to take her place on his arm. Here in Louisiana, Edwin Edwards (Democrat politician) and Al Copeland (Popeyes Chicken) come to mind. They were each married multiple times to 30 something women.

Marriages that are founded in the right way last no matter the age difference. Marriages that are not founded the right way, fail. Seek your discernment with God in the process and it will succeed.
May 13th 2014 new

Do you "speak the same language"? Or does one of you constantly wonder, "What does that mean?" or "Why does he think that's funny?"

If you can't fully communicate, it won't be much of a relationship.

Beyond that...suit yourself.

thumbsup

May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jaime-556629 said: Hello I was wondering what everyone feels about dating a younger person for example if she is 10 or 15 years apart she is a single mother that's not issue just wondering if a decade or more could be maturity issues but what gets me my grandparents Rest There Soul were 15 years apart My Grandpa was older thank y'all and God Bless Y'all
If she is 20 and you are 35, she is too young and you are too old....that's all folks.
May 13th 2014 new
10 or 15 years is OK...I think over 20 years is too much as a general rule.
May 14th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: If she is 20 and you are 35, she is too young and you are too old....that's all folks.
Joan, not necessarily.
May 14th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Do you "speak the same language"? Or does one of you constantly wonder, "What does that mean?"

You said it! no more Azerbijani mail-order brides for me!
May 14th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: If she is 20 and you are 35, she is too young and you are too old....that's all folks.

I agree with Joan and couldn't have said it more succinctly.

May 14th 2014 new
OK, but what if she's 26 and he's, say, 58? Just asking theoretically, you understand :)
Posts 1 - 10 of 192