Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Why Can't I like some post?

May 13th 2014 new
I liked a post in a thread but it did not appear. When I did with other posts, it showed up!

I also tried to like my posts (just to check if I can but un-liked it after it appeared) and I noticed I can like to some of my posts but not to other posts on the same thread.

Does anyone know why?
May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: I liked a post in a thread but it did not appear. When I did with other posts, it showed up!

I also tried to like my posts (just to check if I can but un-liked it after it appeared) and I noticed I can like to some of my posts but not to other posts on the same thread.

Does anyone know why?
If you DISLIKE a post it doesn't show up either, and if someone or more than one person has already disliked a post that you LIKE, it won't show up until the number of Likes is greater than the number of Dislikes, even if it appears that the post has not been liked or disliked. The fact is, if it was already Disliked, it just doesn't show up as a negative, so your Like just was canceled out.
May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: If you DISLIKE a post it doesn't show up either, and if someone or more than one person has already disliked a post that you LIKE, it won't show up until the number of Likes is greater than the number of Dislikes, even if it appears that the post has not been liked or disliked. The fact is, if it was already Disliked, it just doesn't show up as a negative, so your Like just was canceled out.
Thanks Jim, I didn't know that. I did check those who I tried to like but it was not disliked yet.

Do you know why this happens? Surely, just because your post has been disliked doesn't mean it should cancel the future likes!

That is not how it should work.
May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: Thanks Jim, I didn't know that. I did check those who I tried to like but it was not disliked yet.

Do you know why this happens? Surely, just because your post has been disliked doesn't mean it should cancel the future likes!

That is not how it should work.
I am not the designer of this system, but here is how I think it works. A new post comes out and the Likes counter is at 0. For every Like it gets, it adds 1, and for every Dislike it gets, it subtracts 1, HOWEVER, if the number of Likes is less than the number of Dislikes, it doesn't display a negative number, it just displays a 0. So in order to make it go positive, more Likes from different people would have to be made to that post. It is simple math I believe, and not a single dislike, but additive one way or the other.
May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: I am not the designer of this system, but here is how I think it works. A new post comes out and the Likes counter is at 0. For every Like it gets, it adds 1, and for every Dislike it gets, it subtracts 1, HOWEVER, if the number of Likes is less than the number of Dislikes, it doesn't display a negative number, it just displays a 0. So in order to make it go positive, more Likes from different people would have to be made to that post. It is simple math I believe, and not a single dislike, but additive one way or the other.
Hi, Jim,

i did try it and it does work like you explained. Still, I still feel it is off to do that. :-)

But then, like you said, we are not the designer of this system.

Thank you for your help!

Lesil
May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: I did check those who I tried to like but it was not disliked yet.

I'm not sure how you would have checked whether the post was disliked yet, as there is no way for the users (including the moderators) to do this directly.

May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: I liked a post in a thread but it did not appear. When I did with other posts, it showed up!

Does anyone know why?
If the blue thumb-up did not remain highlighted after you clicked on it then there was a problem: reload the page and try again; if the same thing happens, please report it.

If the blue thumb-up remained highlighted but the count remained at zero, the situation is as Jim explained: the post had more thumb-down than thumb-up votes before yours.

If the count was greater than zero and did not increase while the blue thumb-up remained highlighted then either something is broken or someone else either removed a thumbs-up or gave the post a thumbs-down at exactly the same time you gave it a thumbs-up.

May 13th 2014 new
(quote) Jim-624621 said: I am not the designer of this system, but here is how I think it works. A new post comes out and the Likes counter is at 0. For every Like it gets, it adds 1, and for every Dislike it gets, it subtracts 1, HOWEVER, if the number of Likes is less than the number of Dislikes, it doesn't display a negative number, it just displays a 0. So in order to make it go positive, more Likes from different people would have to be made to that post. It is simple math I believe, and not a single dislike, but additive one way or the other.
You are correct.

May 14th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: I'm not sure how you would have checked whether the post was disliked yet, as there is no way for the users (including the moderators) to do this directly.

I meant it is showing no one disliked a post I liked yet so my liked showed.

But when I re-read the clarification, I understand now better how it works.

Thanks!
Posts 1 - 9 of 9