Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Life changing decisions

May 18th 2014 new
Hello to all CM's today.
For the past several months i have been unemployed, normally this would be very hard on people especially my age. When one works for the railroad industry you can purchase job insurance from an outside company, which i did many years ago. It helps but is nothing like a full paycheck. the only reason I have brought this up, was because I have made a few trips to MS to visit a person i met on this site, unfortunately that did not work out and back in Mi again for awhile. While i was there I have met very friendly people for all walks of life and they also found me very friendly. i also drove around too look at various sites with no real set agenda and I found the state to be very beautiful to live. So that is my plan to move to MS hopefully in about 7 months. Making a major move at 56 scares me a lot. Financially speaking living in MS would be very cost effective. Should I not get my job back (union) because of all my injuries throughout my railroad career I can get full disability from them and with my VA disability should be able live alright.
When I was there, I went to 3 different catholic churches to meet people just to find out how life is in MS. What I found is that to get anywhere or get anything in MS, you must belong to a church. The people there treat family values as sacred, and family the same way. Even though i was from MI, once I started to meet some of people and attend some church functions i was also considered family which for me was very surprising and refreshing. i guess it gave me some hope for the human race after all, MS is part of the "bible belt" but i learned so much from the people there. i guess that's one of the reasons why I have chose to moved there. Another one is i have family in AL and FL which for me is not a far drive. i enjoy driving because it gives one the time to relax and reflect on life. i f possible I will try to find a job there also, there are many jobs available on the coast, you just have to be determined.
I welcome any and all comments from the forum. A small comment from a previous subject, i have currently lost about 70lbs since Jan by going gluten free and exercising.

May 18th 2014 new
Kevin,

God speed in your decisions. The south is very welcoming. Thought of moving there myself. Let us know! Praying hug
May 19th 2014 new
Kevin, people in the south are generally very friendly and family oriented. I have kin (by blood and marriage) in NE AL and they are wonderful, faithful, Jesus loving Baptists that are always open to discussing their love for the Lord, and ask thoughtful and respectful questions about Catholicism. Getting my neck hugged over and over is a heartwarmer. You live in a much more temperate climate, and Lake Huron is delightful. Lexington is one of my favorite towns to spend a weekend hanging out in. I hope to make a Barn Theatre production some time this summer. It's awful hot in MS, and if you can give up your winters it might be a great place to move to. BTW.... Congratulations on your weight loss. That is fantastic!
May 19th 2014 new
Having read your post, I congratulate you on your weight loss and applaud your decision to move to a friendly place. Losing weight will change your life in more ways than you can ever imagine, and moving to a friendly place is a great idea. When my mom passes, there's nothing tying me to my hometown, which is one of the poorest cities in America. There are so many more opportunities elsewhere, and once you find a place like that, just go for it!
May 19th 2014 new
i am over 60 when is it too old to stop looking?
May 19th 2014 new
(quote) Penny-1090491 said: i am over 60 when is it too old to stop looking?
very warm welcome Penny to the fora wave smile ( two cents from Heaven hug)

I dont' think it ever is tooo old to stop looking.... Praying theheart rosary rose rose rose
May 19th 2014 new
(quote) Kevin-975826 said: Hello to all CM's today.
For the past several months i have been unemployed, normally this would be very hard on people especially my age. When one works for the railroad industry you can purchase job insurance from an outside company, which i did many years ago. It helps but is nothing like a full paycheck. the only reason I have brought this up, was because I have made a few trips to MS to visit a person i met on this site, unfortunately that did not work out and back in Mi again for awhile. While i was there I have met very friendly people for all walks of life and they also found me very friendly. i also drove around too look at various sites with no real set agenda and I found the state to be very beautiful to live. So that is my plan to move to MS hopefully in about 7 months. Making a major move at 56 scares me a lot. Financially speaking living in MS would be very cost effective. Should I not get my job back (union) because of all my injuries throughout my railroad career I can get full disability from them and with my VA disability should be able live alright.
When I was there, I went to 3 different catholic churches to meet people just to find out how life is in MS. What I found is that to get anywhere or get anything in MS, you must belong to a church. The people there treat family values as sacred, and family the same way. Even though i was from MI, once I started to meet some of people and attend some church functions i was also considered family which for me was very surprising and refreshing. i guess it gave me some hope for the human race after all, MS is part of the "bible belt" but i learned so much from the people there. i guess that's one of the reasons why I have chose to moved there. Another one is i have family in AL and FL which for me is not a far drive. i enjoy driving because it gives one the time to relax and reflect on life. i f possible I will try to find a job there also, there are many jobs available on the coast, you just have to be determined.
I welcome any and all comments from the forum. A small comment from a previous subject, i have currently lost about 70lbs since Jan by going gluten free and exercising.

congrat Kevin on current strive to good health as well smooth and peaceful moving to meet extended families ... hug Praying theheart rosary rose rose rose
May 19th 2014 new
i appreciate all the comments made. Choosing this challenge in my life now I hope will have a positive ending to a long struggle in my life; death of my wife, death of my mother 5 months before my wife, possibly not get my job back, ( unsure if I want it back). There are many jobs available on the cost, it just trying find the right one. Along with this I pray everyday to find a new mate in my life.
Jun 2nd new
UPDATE: Finally saw my doctor today after working to be gluten free for the past 5 months and exercising, he very impressed with my results and recent blood work-up. Over 80lbs lost with 75 more to go. He said to keep doing what I am doing because it is working. He also stopped 4 medications that i was on also. I am not 100% gluten free, but am as close to it as I need be, Its is now my life style.
Jun 4th new
(quote) Kevin-975826 said: UPDATE: Finally saw my doctor today after working to be gluten free for the past 5 months and exercising, he very impressed with my results and recent blood work-up. Over 80lbs lost with 75 more to go. He said to keep doing what I am doing because it is working. He also stopped 4 medications that i was on also. I am not 100% gluten free, but am as close to it as I need be, Its is now my life style.
it is wonderful to hear that you are finding something that works and inspire us to change our lifestyle rather than depend totally on medicine ... it is a new beginning and your transition, if you move, which will open new opportunities and as you stated experience a warm welcome from an extended families ...
Posts 1 - 10 of 13