Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

I confess, I've never been to one. And I also confess, it doesn't bother me at all. I remember an old boss mentioning his stepson and fiancee had an engagement party which was a black tie affair! I do believe people were expected to give gifts and had to give again at their wedding. (I did go to their wedding and it was very nice and fancy). I know it's a happy occasion but it seems a little excessive if you are giving a bridal shower gift, wedding gift and an engagement party gift? (Not sure what the etiquette is here though).
May 29th 2014 new
i've been to engagement parties but most of these parties i attended to is because they are my relatives or close family friends.. in my knowledge and tradition here, normally for engagement parties we don't provide gifts unless you are chosen as one of the godparents of the couple... but we provide gifts during bridal showers and weddings. smile i'm not sure what's the tradition or custom being followed by other races or culture.
May 31st 2014 new
If the all the gift giving seems excessive, maybe trying giving a non-traditional gift. For example, if you know the couple well enough and know their passions, consider giving a charitable gift on behalf of the couple. If they are passionate about helping people who can't provide for themselves, make a charitable donation to the couple's St. Vincent De Paul Society in the couple's name.
Jun 1st 2014 new
Not necessary. I think those engagement party happened for a well-able both family. But if both came from a simple family, it would be a bridal shower and the wedding itself which is popular in my country. Bridal shower mostly attended by the closefriends of the future bride and some who cannot attend the wedding itself but available during the bridal showers. Gift mostly personal, not that extravagant, depends on how you are related with her. Wedding gifts mostly is in cash (as they are going to start their future life together)

Ive been to many bridal showers and weddings thats why I already gave out those things :)
Jun 1st 2014 new
Years ago engagement parties (before weddings went crazy and expensive) were for the immediate families (Aunts and Uncles, maybe cousins to meet) My sister had an engagement party but it was small for this reason. The fits were gift to small and intimate. Not like shower and wedding gifts.

My cousin had one and my aunt told my mother that a great idea would be cash for the gift. That let a bad taste in my mouth, especially because this couple were given the down payment for their house, etc.

I have given engagement gifts to people who were close to me as a keepsake of something I think they would cherish. Most recently when my best friends children were married, I gave them champagne glasses when they became engaged, so that they could use on their wedding day and in the future to commerate their marriage.
Jun 1st 2014 new

Nothing is necessary except death.

Jun 1st 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Nothing is necessary except death.

Marge, I beg to differ. Taxes; taxes are necessary. sad ...and how high they are flamed (I recently heard they are starting a tax on each and every post on social sites.)
Jun 1st 2014 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: I confess, I've never been to one. And I also confess, it doesn't bother me at all. I remember an old boss mentioning his stepson and fiancee had an engagement party which was a black tie affair! I do believe people were expected to give gifts and had to give again at their wedding. (I did go to their wedding and it was very nice and fancy). I know it's a happy occasion but it seems a little excessive if you are giving a bridal shower gift, wedding gift and an engagement party gift? (Not sure what the etiquette is here though).
Julie, I've never been to an engagement party and feel the same way. Receiving presents from guests at the bridal shower and wedding is more than enough. Should you be a female relative, friend, or co-worker and invited to attend the bridal shower, that would place an unnecessary financial burden to purchase three gifts. The concept of a formal engagement party is excessive, imo.
Jun 4th 2014 new
(quote) Julie-42315 said: I confess, I've never been to one. And I also confess, it doesn't bother me at all. I remember an old boss mentioning his stepson and fiancee had an engagement party which was a black tie affair! I do believe people were expected to give gifts and had to give again at their wedding. (I did go to their wedding and it was very nice and fancy). I know it's a happy occasion but it seems a little excessive if you are giving a bridal shower gift, wedding gift and an engagement party gift? (Not sure what the etiquette is here though).
I served bar at one, it was a party to help finance the wedding (the grooms father said the same thing). I didn't have one when I got married, but mine was kept to a smaller size and my late spouse and I both had professional jobs at the time.
Jun 5th 2014 new
Hmmm. You can avoid taxes...legally or illegally. wink
Posts 1 - 10 of 19