Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Happy 140th birthday to G.K. Chesterton---the Prince of Paradox who, in his writings, did such fine service to the Prince of Peace.
worldmag.com

May 30th new
I've often considered starting a thread on favorite Chesterton quotes. Most likely it was done here at one time, but here are a few that bring a smile to my face.

"Poets are commonly spoken of as psychologically unreliable; and generally there is a vague association between wreathing laurels in your hair and sticking straws in it. Facts and history utterly contradict this view. Most of the very great poets have been not only sane, but extremely business-like; and if Shakespeare ever really held horses, it was because he was much the safest man to hold them. Imagination does not breed insanity. Exactly what does breed insanity is reason. Poets do not go mad; but chess-players do. Mathematicians go mad, and cashiers; but creative artists very seldom. I am not, as will be seen, in any sense attacking logic: I only say that this danger does lie in logic, not in imagination.
Poetry is sane because it floats easily in an infinite sea; reason seeks to cross the infinite sea and so make it finite. The result is mental exhaustion. To understand everything is a strain. The poet only desires exaltation and expansion, a world to stretch himself in. The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits. Their incessant calculation of their own brains and other people's brains is a dangerous trade. It is always perilous to the mind to reckon up the mind."

May 30th new
Here's a link to the American Chesterton Society: www.chesterton.org
May 30th new
(quote) Russ-959222 said: Happy 140th birthday to G.K. Chesterton---the Prince of Paradox who, in his writings, did such fine service to the Prince of Peace.
http://worldmag.com/2014/05/happy_birthday_to_the_best_author_the_culture_ever_forgot

Thanks for the great topic, Russ.

A couple favorites.....
Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously. ― G.K. Chesterton #GKCDay
"It is terrible to contemplate how few politicians are hanged," said G. K. Chesterton.

May 30th new
"The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult and left untried."
-- G.K. Chesterton

"I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
-- G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
May 30th new
Happy birthday, dear Gilbert! heart

An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.
Jun 1st new
thank you sooo much russ ....

to a wonderful man of great faith ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY rose hug Praying Dove theheart rosary Dove rose rose rose
Jun 1st new
(quote) Russ-959222 said: Happy 140th birthday to G.K. Chesterton---the Prince of Paradox who, in his writings, did such fine service to the Prince of Peace.
http://worldmag.com/2014/05/happy_birthday_to_the_best_author_the_culture_ever_forgot

You are all welcome to come to Brainerd, Mn. on Saturday, June 7th at 7PM at the Last Turn Saloon. Dale Ahquist, president of the American Chesterton Society, and world-wide speaker, will give a talk called Heavyweight Champion of the Faith. It is being presented by our church through their Theology on Tap series.
Jun 1st new
(quote) Tom-54311 said: You are all welcome to come to Brainerd, Mn. on Saturday, June 7th at 7PM at the Last Turn Saloon. Dale Ahquist, president of the American Chesterton Society, and world-wide speaker, will give a talk called Heavyweight Champion of the Faith. It is being presented by our church through their Theology on Tap series.
Is Chesterton only for Brain-Nerds? I certainly hope not Tom. :)
Jun 1st new
When lived in Bemidji, MN for a bit, I'd call Brainerd that.
Posts 1 - 10 of 31