Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

In a month, I will be unemployed as the program here where I work is unexpectedly closing out.

In another thread, I read about some organizations for travelers who can volunteer in a different country in exchange for free accommodation and food for a minimum of 1-2 months. Now, that sounds tempting to me who loves to travel solo and volunteer!

Before I came to work here, when I worked in Afghanistan, a friend was working at an orphanage here and she mentioned about the possibility of me volunteering for 2-3weeks in exchange for free accommodation though I will have to pay for my food and transportation. I was so excited about that trip! Unfortunately, because of the revolution here at that time, it didn't work out.

At this time, after working apart from family for 5 years now and not being able to truly travel and volunteer (I travelled with family/friends on 15-20 days vacation only), part of me has been wanting to take a break to travel and volunteer. Maybe 1-2months. Or possibly 3 months so I can also be with my dad and my family.

On the other hand, I know I had to work immediately if I want to take advantage of getting the best job since most companies tend to offer you higher salary/best package when you are still employed. I could lose that leverage if I don't secure a job before I leave Egypt. I might have difficulty getting a better job if I become unemployed for 3months...

Yet, the thought of having to travel and volunteer is so tempting i am still awake at this time when I should be sleeping!

So here I am, asking for your advice. What would you do, if you are in my shoes?

May 31st 2014 new

Job.Job.Job.Job.Job

Is that clear enough?

May 31st 2014 new
(quote) Roystan-340472 said:

Job.Job.Job.Job.Job

Is that clear enough?

Ouch... There goes my dream... Can we make a compromise?

If and only if I can find a job willing to wait on me for a month or so, I'd travel and volunteer.

I do deserve a long break... :-)
May 31st 2014 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: In a month, I will be unemployed as the program here where I work is unexpectedly closing out.

In another thread, I read about some organizations for travelers who can volunteer in a different country in exchange for free accommodation and food for a minimum of 1-2 months. Now, that sounds tempting to me who loves to travel solo and volunteer!

Before I came to work here, when I worked in Afghanistan, a friend was working at an orphanage here and she mentioned about the possibility of me volunteering for 2-3weeks in exchange for free accommodation though I will have to pay for my food and transportation. I was so excited about that trip! Unfortunately, because of the revolution here at that time, it didn't work out.

At this time, after working apart from family for 5 years now and not being able to truly travel and volunteer (I travelled with family/friends on 15-20 days vacation only), part of me has been wanting to take a break to travel and volunteer. Maybe 1-2months. Or possibly 3 months so I can also be with my dad and my family.

On the other hand, I know I had to work immediately if I want to take advantage of getting the best job since most companies tend to offer you higher salary/best package when you are still employed. I could lose that leverage if I don't secure a job before I leave Egypt. I might have difficulty getting a better job if I become unemployed for 3months...

Yet, the thought of having to travel and volunteer is so tempting i am still awake at this time when I should be sleeping!

So here I am, asking for your advice. What would you do, if you are in my shoes?

What type of volunteering is involved: charity or menial labor? And what portion of time 2-3 months will be spent working?

If you were considering traveling for leisure, I would suggest limitingi t to 1-2, possibly 3, weeks unless you can find a new job first and negotiate a delayed start. If it is a matter of potentially trading off charitable works for a larger salary, I would do the right thing, have faith, and leave it in the Lord's hands.

I don't know how the hiring situation is in the rest of the world, but in the US it is generally true that it is increasingly difficult to get hired if you have been unemployed for a significant amount of time (several months). In many cases this seems to be because of the perception (accurate or not) that the person is being lazy and will have difficulty focusing when back in a structured work environment. If one were to use the time off for a productive endeavor such as volunteering a significant portion of the time for charity, I suspect that will counter the negative impression in many cases (and would you really want to work at a company where they wouldn't take that into account?)

May 31st 2014 new
(quote) Lesil-840134 said: Ouch... There goes my dream... Can we make a compromise?

If and only if I can find a job willing to wait on me for a month or so, I'd travel and volunteer.

I do deserve a long break... :-)
Recall: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return." (Gen. 3:19)

Modern society seems to have all but forgotten this aspect of our nature. And when we act against our nature, little good comes from it in the long run.

This is not to say that we should have no leisure time. But to expect we are entitled to a "long break" seems a bit misguided...

May 31st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: What type of volunteering is involved: charity or menial labor? And what portion of time 2-3 months will be spent working?

If you were considering traveling for leisure, I would suggest limitingi t to 1-2, possibly 3, weeks unless you can find a new job first and negotiate a delayed start. If it is a matter of potentially trading off charitable works for a larger salary, I would do the right thing, have faith, and leave it in the Lord's hands.

I don't know how the hiring situation is in the rest of the world, but in the US it is generally true that it is increasingly difficult to get hired if you have been unemployed for a significant amount of time (several months). In many cases this seems to be because of the perception (accurate or not) that the person is being lazy and will have difficulty focusing when back in a structured work environment. If one were to use the time off for a productive endeavor such as volunteering a significant portion of the time for charity, I suspect that will counter the negative impression in many cases (and would you really want to work at a company where they wouldn't take that into account?)

Hi, Jerry,

I wanted to mix travel and volunteering. There are some sites mentioned in another thread where I can register as a traveler for a minimum fee.

The work can be in a charitable organization or in menial jobs - to help our in farms, etc., but I am leaning more to charitable works (i.e. in an orphanage or maybe a school/center to teach English, or even home for the elderly if I could find one). Usually the work is 8 hours then on weekends you are free. It's like hitting two birds in one stone!

Right now, my plan is exactly to search for a job willing to wait on me for a delayed start of maybe a month or two. Then I'd probably go somewhere I could do both - travel and see the local place and volunteer and share what I can - my talent, my time, and my service!

Thankfully, I am versatile so I can take an Engineering, Supply Chain/Procurement or even Internal Quality Management job and so far in the Middle East or Africa, and even back home, I know I could find one, just the key is timing and leverage in negotiation. But what I fear is the fact that I'd be gone for 2-3 months. I do hope something will come up.

I agree that I certainly will not work for a company that will not consider my volunteering work and will see my employment gap as a disadvantage because of that. But sometimes, or rather, oftentimes, the corporate world is very harsh on this and is well known to take judgment on a mere paper - your resume. So with that said, I also need to prepare my resume or cover letter to honestly state my plan, and ask if they are willing to wait on me.

I am praying for this this week as I need to start sending my resumes. I have it ready but I need to draft my cover letter adding my plans. Will see!

Thanks to you and Roystan for your advice!

Sincerely,

Lesil

May 31st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Recall: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return." (Gen. 3:19)

Modern society seems to have all but forgotten this aspect of our nature. And when we act against our nature, little good comes from it in the long run.

This is not to say that we should have no leisure time. But to expect we are entitled to a "long break" seems a bit misguided...

:-) I understand your point on the 'I do need a break" part...

But in all sincerity, I do need one. I've worked like hell these past years and have only taken short vacations in between.

I am the type of person who wants to enjoy life in the now, in the present, and not to wait in my senior years to travel and volunteer when I don't have much energy to do it.

So I am seriously contemplating on this decision. I am meant to see the world (when I was a child, I dreamt of building a tower in my home town so tall so I could see where home is wherever I am). At such a young age, I have always known, I'd leave our small village to thread the unknown; hence, the dream to build a tower to guide me back.

And living in a poor but simple, happy village, I have learned to share what I have. And somehow, I feel convinced a voice within tells me now is the chance to do both.

But of course, I could be wrong; hence, my seeking advice.

And I do appreciate a good one!

God bless!

May 31st 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Recall: "In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return to the earth out of which thou wast taken: for dust thou art, and into dust thou shalt return." (Gen. 3:19)

Jerry-
Have you adopted a Protestant philosophy? Read "Leisure: The Basis of Culture" by Josef Pieper.

Here's a little commentary on it:

I cannot say enough about this wonderful and important book. It's message is simple: Western culture has taken upon itself a disposition toward life--and an outlook upon the world--of total work; of work-for-work's sake; or, if you prefer, we have internalized the Weberian protestant work ethic to a debilitating degree. In so doing, so Pieper suggests, we threaten to loose our very souls, both culturally and personally. We must make time for contemplation and reflection, and to, more generally, bask in the truth, beauty and goodness that is available to us in every facet of existence.

While Pieper is a Catholic philosopher in the Thomistic tradition, his arguments are solid and broad enough for those who may be non-religious, or of different faiths. Nevertheless, Christians will, I am sure, enjoy Pieper's articulate use of Christian inspired ideas and use of sources.

May 31st 2014 new
Lesil- Heed the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Volunteering is a wonderfully generous act.
Good for you for needing a break.
Sara

May 31st 2014 new
Another point I wish to share: I've heard that employers like to see volunteering experiences on someone's resume as it reveals something about vital about their character. And, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." Employers want to hire somone who has interests outside and apart from work, a non-belly button gazer. :-) More importantly, volunteering is probably the most valuable work experience to be had.
Posts 1 - 10 of 23