Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Time zone update

Jun 3rd 2014 new
You know that feeling you get when you look at something you did 5 years ago and say to yourself, "What in the world were you thinking?!?"

I just had one of those moments looking at the detection of time zone. This happens on sign-in, and hopefully it will work correctly now. It will still default to EST if javascript isn't being helpful, but for those of you outside of that time zone, please let me know if forum time and message sent times are working correctly.

You WILL need to sign out and back in for this to have a chance at working. If it does, then I'll probably take the next step and add a setting to override the auto-detection. But one step at a time.
Jun 3rd 2014 new
Have never had a problem with the timestamps here - but being in the EST zone I would imagine what I see or not see is of no use in helping you test in that it is the default here - but hey, I tried. Guess I'll just have to try harder and set up a F2F with a distant CM member tongue
Jun 3rd 2014 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: hopefully it will work correctly now. 
Many thanks. Much better.

Does this change "fix" the timestamps for old posts (i.e., change them to the proper timezone)?
Jun 4th 2014 new
It's not so much fixing old timestamps as making sure they go through a time-shift function before being displayed. Right now only the forums and... maybe one or two other places do it. And they all need to. I'm working on that now, but it will take some time.
Jun 8th 2014 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: It's not so much fixing old timestamps as making sure they go through a time-shift function before being displayed. Right now only the forums and... maybe one or two other places do it. And they all need to. I'm working on that now, but it will take some time.
I figured as much. Hence using "fix" in quotes. wink

p.s., the code that assigns a time period (e.g., "yesterday") for a given timestamp is still relying on the old time zone. A post might have occurred at 11:30 pm Pacific, and I'm looking at it at 11:35 pm Pacific of the same day, but the forum reports that it as "yesterday at 11:30pm". Minor annoyance.

Thanks for all your efforts.




__________
two cents - on a good day
Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Nathan-48443 said: You know that feeling you get when you look at something you did 5 years ago and say to yourself, "What in the world were you thinking?!?"

I just had one of those moments looking at the detection of time zone. This happens on sign-in, and hopefully it will work correctly now. It will still default to EST if javascript isn't being helpful, but for those of you outside of that time zone, please let me know if forum time and message sent times are working correctly.

You WILL need to sign out and back in for this to have a chance at working. If it does, then I'll probably take the next step and add a setting to override the auto-detection. But one step at a time.
Shouldn't it default to ET rather than EST (i.e., EST or EDT, as appropriate)?

Jun 11th 2014 new
(quote) Jerry-74383 said: Shouldn't it default to ET rather than EST (i.e., EST or EDT, as appropriate)?

ET would identify the Eastern Time Zone itself,
whereas EST and EDT are used to identify the actual time within that zone.
Jun 11th 2014 new
Upon further thinking Jerry, I do see a lot of variance in how time and/or time zones have been represented - most of the variations I have seen have been in the media.

The most common example I have seen would be a TV show that starts at "8/7c" where the "c" is used for central. Even looking at an Amtrak time schedule I see they use the notaion of ET for Eastern Time.

From a programming level, I have never seen those abbreviations used, only ever the EST and/or EDT syntax.
Jun 11th 2014 new
Nathan, Thanks! for the first time when I post to the forum, it timestamps it in my CDT. Although it wasn't causing me huge fits, it's nice to see my own time zone reflected in my posting.
Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Dave-976637 said: Upon further thinking Jerry, I do see a lot of variance in how time and/or time zones have been represented - most of the variations I have seen have been in the media.

The most common example I have seen would be a TV show that starts at "8/7c" where the "c" is used for central. Even looking at an Amtrak time schedule I see they use the notaion of ET for Eastern Time.

From a programming level, I have never seen those abbreviations used, only ever the EST and/or EDT syntax.
I wouldn't expect you to see it within a program because the software will be set to one time zone offset or the other.

The two letter abbreviation, omitting the DST/Standard time indicator is used in situations such as this where where documentation refers to a specific time zone at an indeterminate point in time that may be either daylight savings or standard time. It is not uncommon for people to simply write EST in the same circumstances and assume the reader will make the adjustment, if necessary. In practice, this is probably a reason assumption, albeit a technically incorrect statement since EST = CDT.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11