Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose, Dynamic Catholic Book Program.
"An extraordinary book!" "I have been a priest for 50 years and I don't know a book that has revitalized the faith of more people..or brought more people back to the Church than Rediscover Catholicism, FATHER RON RIEDER.

This was distributed at our Parish by the Knights of Columbus during Holy Week. A good reference for reverts back to the faith and also for "Catholics come Home". A good read for all practicing Catholics!
Jun 4th 2014 new
I have a copy, but haven't had a chance to get into it yet. I'm hoping to have more time for reading over the summer :) Thanks for the recommendation. God bless!
Jun 5th 2014 new
I am going to attend the Living Everyday With Passion and Purpose seminar in July. Trying to read these books before then.
Jun 5th 2014 new
With regard to the Dynamic Catholic program, I quit reading one of his books after finding three verifiably false statements in the first 100 pages. I wrote him a letter, including supporting documentation, and got no response. By the way, the false statements had nothing to do with religion, or opinion. Note that he may have made other false statements in the first 100 pages, but these three were more or less obvious.

Anybody who makes that many false statements obviously has no interest in the truth. Obviously I do not recommend the Dynamic Catholic books to anyone.

Richard

Jun 5th 2014 new
(quote) Richard-831657 said: With regard to the Dynamic Catholic program, I quit reading one of his books after finding three verifiably false statements in the first 100 pages. I wrote him a letter, including supporting documentation, and got no response. By the way, the false statements had nothing to do with religion, or opinion. Note that he may have made other false statements in the first 100 pages, but these three were more or less obvious.

Anybody who makes that many false statements obviously has no interest in the truth. Obviously I do not recommend the Dynamic Catholic books to anyone.

Richard

Out of curiosity, what were the false statements you found?

Jun 5th 2014 new
On page 76, you claim that 1 percent of the worlds population has a college degree. The current number is 6.7 percent.

On page 80, you say that if a plane flying from London to New York changes its course 5 degrees, it will end up in Venezuela. Actually, the difference in course for Venezuela would be 30 degrees.

On page 95, you quote Einstein as the source for the quote on compound interest. There is no evidence that Einstein said this; this appears to have been made up long after Einstein died.
Jun 5th 2014 new
(quote) Richard-831657 said: With regard to the Dynamic Catholic program, I quit reading one of his books after finding three verifiably false statements in the first 100 pages. I wrote him a letter, including supporting documentation, and got no response. By the way, the false statements had nothing to do with religion, or opinion. Note that he may have made other false statements in the first 100 pages, but these three were more or less obvious.

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I will carefully discern the material.
Jun 5th 2014 new
(quote) Kelly-1078281 said: A Spiritual Guide to Living with Passion & Purpose, Dynamic Catholic Book Program.
"An extraordinary book!" "I have been a priest for 50 years and I don't know a book that has revitalized the faith of more people..or brought more people back to the Church than Rediscover Catholicism, FATHER RON RIEDER.

This was distributed at our Parish by the Knights of Columbus during Holy Week. A good reference for reverts back to the faith and also for "Catholics come Home". A good read for all practicing Catholics!
I haven't read this particular book by Kelly, but have heard fairly good things about it. Over Lent we met and used his The Four Signs of a Dynamic Catholic. At first I was very pleased with this book, and excited about what he was discussing and covering, but somewhere midway it sort of broke down and in the end sort of left me feeling flat. Several others in the group dropped out sooner. A couple who found the book not helpful at all.

I don't know enough about Kelly or his work to be able to comment more fully. But, I would agree that the breakdown for me, was around what i felt was an area where he sort of dropped the ball in regard to explaining some things . ..as he spoke about them, he really should have had some better background and synthesis.

Writing for a general public is difficult and sometimes salient points gets washed over or ignored. So it is important to sort of keep that in mind when reading books like this. And, always be ready to look up more information elsewhere on topics, especially if something doesn't see quite right.

Jun 5th 2014 new
I liked the Dynamic Catholic CD, in part because it takes only about an hour to get through. I began Rediscovering Catholicism and found it mostly dull and overlong, like one of those self-help books that could have been abridged by three-quarters with no real loss. Anyway, there are better books.
Jun 5th 2014 new
Good to know. Thanks, Lauren and Paul.
Posts 1 - 10 of 65