Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

"Kip and Mona Lisa Harding are just your average high school sweethearts with 10 children. Oh, and seven of those 10 children have gotten into college by the age of 12 (so far), and the youngest three are well on their way to joining them.

First, a little about our kids. Our three eldest daughters are Hannah, 26, an engineer since age 22; Rosannah, 24, an architect with her own practice; and Serennah, 22, one of the youngest doctors in the U.S. Navy. Some of our boys are currently studying to become a computer scientist; a musician/composer; and a scholar of the Middle Ages (who currently has the highest average in his college classes). Another child, also now in college at age 11, is considering a law degree." shine.yahoo.com

The secret--homeschooling and allowing child to investigate own interests.

What do you find fascinating or interesting as stories in the news?

Jun 5th 2014 new
Woman Claims She Saw Missing Malaysian Air Flight While Sailing In Indian Ocean

news.yahoo.com
Jun 5th 2014 new

New Drug Boasts 90 Percent Survival Rate for One Type of Cancer

shine.yahoo.com.
Jun 5th 2014 new
Pennsylvania Woman Has 126 Descendants and Counting

gma.yahoo.com.
Jun 5th 2014 new

Bounce Castle Survivor's 'Eyes Were Opened in Shock'

gma.yahoo.com.
Jun 5th 2014 new
(quote) Mike-59303 said: "Kip and Mona Lisa Harding are just your average high school sweethearts with 10 children. Oh, and seven of those 10 children have gotten into college by the age of 12 (so far), and the youngest three are well on their way to joining them.

First, a little about our kids. Our three eldest daughters are Hannah, 26, an engineer since age 22; Rosannah, 24, an architect with her own practice; and Serennah, 22, one of the youngest doctors in the U.S. Navy. Some of our boys are currently studying to become a computer scientist; a musician/composer; and a scholar of the Middle Ages (who currently has the highest average in his college classes). Another child, also now in college at age 11, is considering a law degree." https://shine.yahoo.com/experts/how-we-got-our-kids-into-college-by-age-12-175102493.html

The secret--homeschooling and allowing child to investigate own interests.

What do you find fascinating or interesting as stories in the news?

I haven't had a chance to read this, but recalling about the Duggan who also home school their kids and know a few parents who home school their kids.... the only drawback seems that for some the kids they have a difficult time in socializing/interaction w/other kids or seeing the other kids end of the spectrum .... however, if they do have the opportunity to meet and be able to participate in community activities/sports this may avoid that part of challenge of how to interact/socialize .... they do seem that they achieve a higher goal in life and avoid the pitfalls of peer pressure ......
Jun 6th 2014 new
news.yahoo.com

Ten fascinating facts on the 70th anniversary of D-Day

"1. What does D-Day mean anyway? That remains a topic of debate today, since the operation was cloaked in secrecy. One prominent theory is that the word D-Day originated in a World War I tradition of assigning generic words like D-Day and H-Hour to events with unassigned dates. Another is that the D stands for the word departed, as in departed date.

2. The invading force by sea and air was staggering. The D-Day attack consisted or more than 150,000 personnel coming across the English Channel by sea and air, and about 100,000 troops were involved in the invasion on June 6.

7. How did the Allies fool the Germans? The grand plan included the construction of a dummy invasion force across from the Pas de Calais near Dover. Rubber ships and plywood tanks were part of the fake invasion force."

Jun 9th 2014 new
news.yahoo.com

World's Oldest man dies at 111
Jun 10th 2014 new

Submarine Crew Owed Survival to Croatian's Intercession

Peruvian Officer Prayed -- and Then Did the "Humanly Impossible"

June 06, 2003 | 786 hits

DUBROVNIK, Croatia, JUNE 6, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A Peruvian officer attributes his surviving a submarine accident to the intercession of Croatia's first beatified woman.

Among the 50,000 pilgrims present at the beatification Mass today in the port of Dubrovnik was Roger Cotrina Alvarado. He was the lieutenant of the submarine Pacocha, which on Aug. 26, 1988, crashed into a Japanese fishing-vessel near the Peruvian port of Callao.

When the submarine began to sink, the then young officer commended himself to the intercession of Sister Maria of Jesus Crucified Petkovic, founder of the Franciscan Congregation of the Daughters of Mercy.

At that moment, Cotrina Alvarado was able to close an inside door with the strength of his arms, despite the pressure of the water that was flooding the submarine.

The maneuver was considered "humanly impossible" by two commissions, one military and the other Vatican. The miracle became the door that opened the way for the Croatian's beatification.

Nineteen other officers trapped in the submarine were saved; six crew members died in the accident.

"When I was little, I heard the story of Maria Petkovic because my mother had a book on her, and every night she read a few pages to me before I went to bed," Cotrina Alvarado explained in Dubrovnik.

"For me, Maria Petkovic was an extraordinary woman, she helped the poor of the whole world, in particular those of South America," he said.

Maria Petkovic, born in 1892 in Korkula in the Adriatic Sea, founded the Congregation of the Daughters of Mercy in 1920. She created orphanages and charitable centers in the Balkans and later in Latin America.

From 1940 to 1952, she worked in charitable centers in Argentina and Paraguay, before returning to Rome where she died in 1966.

Showing the decoration he received for having saved his companions' lives in the 1988 accident, Cotrina Alvarado pointed to the image of the new blessed and said: "The merit is hers."

www.zenit.org

Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Mike-59303 said: Submarine Crew Owed Survival to Croatian's IntercessionPeruvian Officer Prayed -- and Then Did the "Humanly Impossible" June 06, 2003 | 786 hits

DUBROVNIK, Croatia, JUNE 6, 2003 (Zenit.org).- A Peruvian officer attributes his surviving a submarine accident to the intercession of Croatia's first beatified woman.

Among the 50,000 pilgrims present at the beatification Mass today in the port of Dubrovnik was Roger Cotrina Alvarado. He was the lieutenant of the submarine Pacocha, which on Aug. 26, 1988, crashed into a Japanese fishing-vessel near the Peruvian port of Callao.

When the submarine began to sink, the then young officer commended himself to the intercession of Sister Maria of Jesus Crucified Petkovic, founder of the Franciscan Congregation of the Daughters of Mercy.

At that moment, Cotrina Alvarado was able to close an inside door with the strength of his arms, despite the pressure of the water that was flooding the submarine.

The maneuver was considered "humanly impossible" by two commissions, one military and the other Vatican. The miracle became the door that opened the way for the Croatian's beatification.

Nineteen other officers trapped in the submarine were saved; six crew members died in the accident.

"When I was little, I heard the story of Maria Petkovic because my mother had a book on her, and every night she read a few pages to me before I went to bed," Cotrina Alvarado explained in Dubrovnik.

"For me, Maria Petkovic was an extraordinary woman, she helped the poor of the whole world, in particular those of South America," he said.

Maria Petkovic, born in 1892 in Korkula in the Adriatic Sea, founded the Congregation of the Daughters of Mercy in 1920. She created orphanages and charitable centers in the Balkans and later in Latin America.

From 1940 to 1952, she worked in charitable centers in Argentina and Paraguay, before returning to Rome where she died in 1966.

Showing the decoration he received for having saved his companions' lives in the 1988 accident, Cotrina Alvarado pointed to the image of the new blessed and said: "The merit is hers."

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/submarine-crew-owed-survival-to-croatian-s-intercession

One reading said that force of 4 ton was permitted by the Saint's intervention for Cotrina Alvarado to move the door.
Posts 1 - 10 of 13