Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Was that soldier really a deserter? Did he just go temporarily crazy? I
think his Dad is weirder than he is.

What about all the other Americans help captive around the world by
Al-Qaida. We can trade prisoners for them too.

Maybe Obama just wants to empty out the prison in Guantanamo like
he promised in the beginning?

What are your thoughts????

Jun 5th new
My first thought, admittedly not very profound, is that it sends the message "even one of our deserters is worth as much as five of your leaders".
Jun 6th new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: My first thought, admittedly not very profound, is that it sends the message "even one of our deserters is worth as much as five of your leaders".
Have to disagree, Paul.

He sends the message that all they have to do to get what they want is to take one of our soldiers and we will cave.

Note, he has not been in much of a hurry to extricate a civilian American citizen from an Iranian jail who was jailed for being a Christian.

Nor did he act to protect our diplomatic personnel in Benghazi.

In other words, all Obummer does is signal the world that America is weak and can be pushed around. as long as he is in charge,
Jun 6th new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Have to disagree, Paul.

He sends the message that all they have to do to get what they want is to take one of our soldiers and we will cave.

Note, he has not been in much of a hurry to extricate a civilian American citizen from an Iranian jail who was jailed for being a Christian.

Nor did he act to protect our diplomatic personnel in Benghazi.

In other words, all Obummer does is signal the world that America is weak and can be pushed around. as long as he is in charge,

" all Obummer does is signal the world that America is weak and can be pushed around. as long as he is in charge,"

Yes, it sure does give that impression to the world. It also gives the impression
that we do not have any firm policy or even any firm laws that are meant to be
followed by the President.

I think the world must think Obama is a dictator if he does what he wants without
giving heed to the nations rules or laws.

Jun 6th new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: My first thought, admittedly not very profound, is that it sends the message "even one of our deserters is worth as much as five of your leaders".
OK, if you can say something, not very profound, than so can I.
I wish Obama had grown up in the same neighborhood I did.
Than, when we traded baseball cards, which all boys did, I would have traded him.....
One Bob Ueucker(sp) for 2 Mickey Mantles, 1 Willie Mays, 1 Warren Spahn and 1 Rocky Calavito(sp)!!

Jun 6th new
(quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Was that soldier really a deserter? Did he just go temporarily crazy? I
think his Dad is weirder than he is.

What about all the other Americans help captive around the world by
Al-Qaida. We can trade prisoners for them too.

Maybe Obama just wants to empty out the prison in Guantanamo like
he promised in the beginning?

What are your thoughts????

I'm going to reserve judgement until Bergdahl is interviewed. Right now it doesn't look good for him. Regarding the prisoner swap, I'm as flabbergasted as anyone. Looks like a pretty dumb move to me. I had Shore Patrol duty at Guantanamo back in the sixties- pretty desolate place. It'll have to be closed eventually, perhaps in order to open relations with Cuba. I'd like to see that happen because it's hypocritical to have diplomatic relations with the Chincoms and Saudis and not Cuba.
Jun 6th new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Have to disagree, Paul.
There is that downside, but it's hard to assess how much it matters. The Israelis have at times traded, I believe, 100 or more prisoners to get one of their soldiers back, but even so, their enemies don't seem to regard them as pushovers.
Jun 6th new

I think I agree with Dr. Krauthammer. It is a dirty deal, but one that had to be done. What is sad is that it was crowed over by the Pres instead of him admitting that it was unpleasant but necessary.

Exchanging prisoners of war is a longstanding tradition. To do otherwise just leads to needless death. I cannot understand why some on the right think we should keep these Gitmo prisoners until they are "rehabilitated." That will never happen. You trade their bad guys to get our guys back.

As much as it pains me to back the 0bummer, he is correct when he says that we must repatriate the American first, and later try him for his alleged crimes. He is inocent until proven guilty in our system. I'm glad to see that the president did actually learn something in law school.

Jun 6th new
Conspiracy at it's best.
Jun 7th new
(quote) Gerald-283546 said:

I think I agree with Dr. Krauthammer. It is a dirty deal, but one that had to be done. What is sad is that it was crowed over by the Pres instead of him admitting that it was unpleasant but necessary.

Exchanging prisoners of war is a longstanding tradition. To do otherwise just leads to needless death. I cannot understand why some on the right think we should keep these Gitmo prisoners until they are "rehabilitated." That will never happen. You trade their bad guys to get our guys back.

As much as it pains me to back the 0bummer, he is correct when he says that we must repatriate the American first, and later try him for his alleged crimes. He is inocent until proven guilty in our system. I'm glad to see that the president did actually learn something in law school.

Don't they usually exchange POW's after the war is over?

Posts 1 - 10 of 101