Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Gnats - a real Curse

Jun 7th new
Looking for tips to get them to self-destruct. Won't use bug sprays. 2 years ago, Lexington had a horrible fruitfly problem where a small cup of apple cider vinegar w/ liquid dish soap attracted fruitflies and they drowned - it DID work.

However, apple cider vinegar and liquid dish soap DOESN'T work for these gnats. I've noticed that sometimes a pot filled w/ water can attract some gnats and they drown, but that occurs infrequently.

TIPS most welcomed - H E L P - thank you.

Jun 7th new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: Looking for tips to get them to self-destruct. Won't use bug sprays. 2 years ago, Lexington had a horrible fruitfly problem where a small cup of apple cider vinegar w/ liquid dish soap attracted fruitflies and they drowned - it DID work.

However, apple cider vinegar and liquid dish soap DOESN'T work for these gnats. I've noticed that sometimes a pot filled w/ water can attract some gnats and they drown, but that occurs infrequently.

TIPS most welcomed - H E L P - thank you.

HI Bob,

I discovered after one spring in the field that I have a crazy allergic reaction to bull gnats. The best thing I have discovered to keep them at bay is believe it or not a plain white t-shirt. With a dab or two of vanilla -- why vanilla I don't know but it does seem to work.

might check the link below for some other tips??
www.ehow.com

Jun 7th new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: HI Bob,

I discovered after one spring in the field that I have a crazy allergic reaction to bull gnats. The best thing I have discovered to keep them at bay is believe it or not a plain white t-shirt. With a dab or two of vanilla -- why vanilla I don't know but it does seem to work.

might check the link below for some other tips??
http://www.ehow.com/way_5434634_homemade-gnat-repellent.html

Thank you Lauren. They recommend adding "sweet syrup" to liqud dish soap and vinegar. I've got to find something to get rid of them.
Jun 7th new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: Looking for tips to get them to self-destruct. Won't use bug sprays. 2 years ago, Lexington had a horrible fruitfly problem where a small cup of apple cider vinegar w/ liquid dish soap attracted fruitflies and they drowned - it DID work.

However, apple cider vinegar and liquid dish soap DOESN'T work for these gnats. I've noticed that sometimes a pot filled w/ water can attract some gnats and they drown, but that occurs infrequently.

TIPS most welcomed - H E L P - thank you.

Try adding more garlic to your diet. Worked great for a lot of years for me. I cut back, more out of laziness, than anything else. So now when I walk the dog through the forest lanes behind my house, I get attacked by a lot of pesky critters like gnats and mosquitoes.
Jun 7th new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Try adding more garlic to your diet. Worked great for a lot of years for me. I cut back, more out of laziness, than anything else. So now when I walk the dog through the forest lanes behind my house, I get attacked by a lot of pesky critters like gnats and mosquitoes.
But, but, but, Paul....he's trying to repel gnats, not women! wink Chirp Chirp shocked
Jun 7th new
Put enough vinagar in a bowl to cover he boom and cover wih plasic wrap with some holes on top and replace when gone. If it's a piece of fruit that they're after place in fridge hey can't survive the cold.
Jun 7th new
(quote) Lauren-927923 said: ...The best thing I have discovered to keep them at bay is believe it or not a plain white t-shirt. With a dab or two of vanilla -- why vanilla I don't know but it does seem to work....



- but where can you buy a plain white t-shirt that will fit a gnat ? smile
Jun 8th new
At The Gnat Jr. shop in the mall :-) 2 for $5 on Tuesdays.
Jun 8th new
(quote) Kevin-40666 said: - but where can you buy a plain white t-shirt that will fit a gnat ?
Kevin ~ you're always the consummate quirk witted comedian here! laughing cool laughing cool
Jun 8th new
(quote) Jane-933948 said: Kevin ~ you're always the consummate quirk witted comedian here!
Thanks - probably more like half-witted, but I do my best. smile
Posts 1 - 10 of 24