Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

OK last one, but this question has really been on my mind. I think that since I have this new faith, people are kind of jealous of me and want to bring me down.

My priest said at church last Sunday that the opposite of love is envy. I think people are envious of me. They see how happy I am and they want to bring me down. It has only been a short while but I sense that people are looking for a reason not to like me. I am trying not to give them a reason.

Do any of you feel this way?

David

Jun 9th new
(quote) David-1093243 said:

OK last one, but this question has really been on my mind. I think that since I have this new faith, people are kind of jealous of me and want to bring me down.

My priest said at church last Sunday that the opposite of love is envy. I think people are envious of me. They see how happy I am and they want to bring me down. It has only been a short while but I sense that people are looking for a reason not to like me. I am trying not to give them a reason.

Do any of you feel this way?

David

I do believe that when we are strong in our faith and at peace with ourselves, there is a joy inside us that radiates. People don't get it. How can you be happy? How can you be content? How can you believe that which you cannot see? To be challenged by others that want what you have is a good thing. Our faith should shine forth. It truly is an outward sign of God's love.

I remember talking to my cousin right after my husband's death. She was also a young widow and wanted me to rant and carry on because she still carried all this anger and devastation. When I didn't, but rather replied calmly and knowingly that he had been given new life in Christ, it riled her more. How could I still believe in a God that would leave my children without a father? I came to understand her pain, but never reached the depths of her anger. She had no hope. She didn't believe in anything past the now and that now stunk. I felt bad for her. I worried about her. I prayed for her. I still do.

My advice to you is to keep doing what you're doing. The devil does not want you to be happy in Christ. He wants you to feel devastation, discontent and hatred. Don't let him win.
Jun 9th new
Hi David! Welcome to the forums! I have felt this way in the past, but in my case, it was often misunderstanding. People's emotions don't always come across clearly. However, it also depends on the relation we have with them. The one line I always try to keep in mind is seek first to understand, then to be understood. Works like a charm for these situations for me. And remember, not everyone will like us, but we still need to be charitable anyways! I hope you are able to find out what's up! God bless :)
Jun 9th new
Ohhhh yes! And I keep telling myself don't let them steal your joy! And I repeat often "Jesus I Trust in You" That gets me through when I feel I may be slipping. Because God is on your side! Praying rose theheart
Jun 9th new
Two quotations from Archbishop Fulton Sheen that may have a bearing on this topic even if they don't fully answer the question:

"No man hates God without first hating himself".

"There are not a hundred people in America who hate the Catholic Church. There are millions of people who hate what they wrongly believe to be the Catholic Church which is, of course, quite a different thing".

Jun 9th new
My problem is I always wanted confidence but now I have super confidence. And even though I am trying to be kind, I am feeling like I am rubbing many the wrong way. Any advice?
Jun 9th new
(quote) David-1093243 said: My problem is I always wanted confidence but now I have super confidence. And even though I am trying to be kind, I am feeling like I am rubbing many the wrong way. Any advice?
Hey David, That's awesome that you have newfound confidence because of your faith!!! I bet you wish that more people felt the same way you do. We have a special name for those who try to steal our joy. They are called "H8ers" ;-) Here's what you do. You say, "don't bring me down" and if it happens to be a dude named Bruce hating on you, then you say "don't bring me down, Brrrrrrruce!" a la ELO.... youtu.be
;-D God bless you, David!!

Jun 9th new
(quote) David-1093243 said: My problem is I always wanted confidence but now I have super confidence. And even though I am trying to be kind, I am feeling like I am rubbing many the wrong way. Any advice?
Kind of hard to address without some specific examples.

But, when someone tries to steal my joy, I just smile at them, wish them peace and keep on.

Negativity breeds negativity and I work really hard at not allowing negativity to have any free reign in my life. Life is too short and too full of wondrous things to let it get tied up with painful, negative thoughts or behaviors.
Jun 9th new
Perhaps your confidence is being perceived as arrogance?

Jun 9th new
It's funny, but I was just thinking about how I REFUSE to let anyone steal my joy! I even posted some memes in my profile about it!

There will ALWAYS be people who will dislike you for a variety of reasons - even for being joyful. Realize it has less to do with you and more to do with their own struggles. They perhaps lack self confidence or dwell in negativity. Rather than focusing on pleasing them, focus on a deepened compassion for their struggles. I refuse to be defined by other people's negativity. I refuse to allow them to diminish my value. Instead I try to find a reason to give them the benefit of the doubt and let them go on their merry way. It is hard, especially when you see the good in them and want them to see the good in you. But every person has free will. We cannot make any person like us. They have to will to.
Posts 1 - 10 of 23