Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Welcome to the Nerdpocalypse!

Jun 10th 2014 new
Welcome welcome one and all! Welcome to a general thread for geeks and nerds and anyone else who wants to come spy on us to figure out what geeks and nerds talk about in their day to day life. Have something to geek out about with your fellow Catholics that your fellow non-nerds or fellow non-Catholics just wouldn't understand? Then this is the place for you!

And I've got one for you to start us off. I got to meet Patrick Rothfuss tonight, of The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear. Got two books signed, a third for a friend, and got to hear both the beginning of his new short story about Bast and the beginning of another author's short story in the upcoming Rogue's anthology (shhhhhh). shhh Ahhhhhhh, so cool. lovestruck!

For your Catholic moment, he talked about how he used to teach and wanted to say things like "Let's talk about Truth here," and would get in trouble for it and how he would have fit in 200 or 2000 years ago in academia. I wanted to say "Come teach at an authentic Catholic school like me, I say stuff like that all the time!!!!" but he probably wouldn't have appreciated that so much. tongue

Now I think it's time to re-read NotW and WMF's because it's been years since I read them both. I got caught up in the Dresden Files reread and Rothfuss' visit here was a surprise one, just scheduled 4 days ago. Over 400 people showed up though, so I think he got the word out just fine...

Jun 10th 2014 new
I am afraid I am not familiar with Rothfuss or his work. I will have to see if we have any of his books at the library.

For the gamers on this site, E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) is this week. Microsoft, Sony, Electronic Arts, and UbiSoft all held their respective press conferences yesterday. Nintendo is not attending E3 in person, but like last year, they will be holding an online press event today.

Is anyone else following the expo this week? If so, what announcements or reveals are you especially looking forward to?
Jun 10th 2014 new
Dragon Age Inquisition! I was geeking out over all the reveals yesterday, and the new Mass Effect game! Can. Not. Wait.

I may have had lunch with the creative lead of the Dragon Age team once. Three hours of bbq, beer and video game chat. And thanks to twitter it's easy to have conversations with the devs of Bioware - they're a very accessible bunch so it's easy to feel close to the team.

Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Pamela-880383 said: Dragon Age Inquisition! I was geeking out over all the reveals yesterday, and the new Mass Effect game! Can. Not. Wait.

So, Is there an electronic version of attending Mass??
Jun 11th 2014 new
(quote) Pamela-880383 said: Dragon Age Inquisition! I was geeking out over all the reveals yesterday, and the new Mass Effect game! Can. Not. Wait.
Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed that all Bioware showed of the new Mass Effect was conceptual footage. I know they are still in the early stages of development, so I probably should not have been surprised, but I was also hoping for a confirmation of the rumored Mass Effect Trilogy remastered version for Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

I thought both Nintendo and Sony had pretty stellar showings, though. Especially Nintendo. The new Legend of Zelda for WiiU, in particular, looks amazing. I was also blown away by the Uncharted 4 trailer, though the real test will be whether or not they can maintain that kind of visual fidelity during gameplay. Still, if anyone can do it, Naughty Dog can.

Jun 11th 2014 new
(quote) Joe-1086890 said: So, Is there an electronic version of attending Mass??
There is an iPhone app for that. Approved by Pope Benedict XVI, no less.
Jun 11th 2014 new
Uncharted is a series I haven't played yet.

I would love to give the new Zelda a whirl, but I don't think I'd pick up a WiiU just for it. I still need to borrow my parents' Wii to give Skyward Sword a go. Most of my games have been PC in the past few years, just for convenience's sake. I'm fighting the urge to upgrade at least my video cards before DA:I comes out, though maybe if there's a big enough sale on July 4....

Even if you were to attend Mass virtually though it wouldn't fulfill your obligation if you could have done so in person. Being incapacitated in some form is another story, of course. Technology is no replacement for the Eucharist.

Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Pamela-880383 said: Even if you were to attend Mass virtually though it wouldn't fulfill your obligation if you could have done so in person. Being incapacitated in some form is another story, of course. Technology is no replacement for the Eucharist.

Indeed. The app to which I was referring essentially acts as a missal, so you can follow along during the Mass. However, if I recall correctly, there was actually a priest who created an app for celebrating the Mass. I do not know if it was ever approved by the Church.
Jun 12th 2014 new
Ha ha! Finally found this thread! Very cool.

When I was coming back from Japan, on my connecting flight from LA to Phoenix, I was sitting next to one of the guys running Nintendo's E3 booth that year (2012) (and no it wasn't Reggie). He didn't say much at all about Nintendo's presentation, what with confidentiality agreements and all, but it was still cool to hear some "behind the scenes" stuff.

I'm definitely excited for a lot of what Nintendo's coming out with this year, and I'm still debating whether I'm going to pick up a PS4 at all. I've already decided I'm not going to get an Xbox One, even if Dragon Age Inquisition is an Xbox exclusive. I LOVED Dragon Age Origins, though I never played Dragon Age 2. Maybe I'll get lucky and Inquisition will come out for PC (on Linux, please wink ).

But seriously, it's great to have a little place on the internet where I can feel welcome as both a Catholic and a gamer. Thanks, Pamela!
Jun 12th 2014 new
Dragon Age: Inquisition is actually coming to the Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC (not sure about Linux, though). "Premiere content" (whatever that means, aside from DLC), however, will be coming to Xbox platforms first.
Posts 1 - 10 of 24