Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jun 10th 2014 new
Hi Tom,

The link doesn't work. Hopefully this doesn't apply to the Catholic Church.
Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-755074 said: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/denmark/9317447/Gay-Danish-couples-win-right-to-mar...
For reasons unknown, CM trims URLs over 100 characters.
In such cases you need to use a web service that will shorten long URLs, like:
http://tinyurl.com

Anyway, the article can be found here:
tinyurl.com (telegraph.co.uk)

Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Susan-1048377 said: Hopefully this doesn't apply to the Catholic Church.
Apparently it does. From the article:

The country's parliament voted through the new law on same-sex marriage by a large majority, making it mandatory for all churches to conduct gay marriages.
The article also references a Karsten Nissen as the Bishop of Viborg. The article says he is refusing to marry homosexuals and that he has warned that the new law risks "splitting the church". Nissen is NOT Catholic. The Diocese of Viborg is part of the (Protestant) Danish National Church.

Catholicism was banned during the (De)formation and only allowed to reform in 1849. It is still a minor player in the country as Catholics comprise less than 1% of the population.

Since the article says "all churches" must comply, the law presumably includes Catholic churches.

The country's parliament voted through the new law on same-sex marriage by a large majority, making it mandatory for all churches to conduct gay marriages.The article also references a Karsten Nissen as the Bishop of Viborg. The article says he is refusing to marry homosexuals and that he has warned that the new law risks "splitting the church". Nissen is NOT Catholic. The Diocese of Viborg is part of the (Protestant) Danish National Church.
Catholicism was banned during the (De)formation and only allowed to reform in 1849. It is still a minor player in the country as Catholics comprise less than 1% of the population.

Since the article says "all churches" must comply, the law presumably includes Catholic churches.

So begins the persecution, I guess. May God have mercy.
Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: Apparently it does. From the article:
The country's parliament voted through the new law on same-sex marriage by a large majority, making it mandatory for all churches to conduct gay marriages.The article also references a Karsten Nissen as the Bishop of Viborg. The article says he is refusing to marry homosexuals and that he has warned that the new law risks "splitting the church". Nissen is NOT Catholic. The Diocese of Viborg is part of the (Protestant) Danish National Church.

This will be interesting/unfortunate to watch. I wouldn't bet on the Catholic Church accommodating this at all. If necessary, the real Catholic Church may become more of an underground church in that country, much as it does in China currently. Perhaps there will come to be some sort of fake state-sanctioned Catholic Church with priests/bishops selected by the state (as in China), but to the opposition of [and unrecognized by] the Vatican there, but it will not be in communion with the real Catholic Church.

A priest or a deacon cannot be physically forced to perform such a ceremony. They each have a free will. I would expect that any priest or deacon worth his salt would simply be willing to go to prison or be put to death before he would do such a thing... and I would think that is what the pope would expect of him.

IMHO.

Ed
Jun 10th 2014 new
"A priest or a deacon cannot be physically forced to perform such a ceremony. They each have a free will. I would expect that any priest or deacon worth his salt would simply be willing to go to prison or be put to death before he would do such a thing... and I would think that is what the pope would expect of him."

We must pray for these men...there will be a concerted manhunt for them....all of us will suffer.
Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-755074 said: There will be a concerted manhunt for them....all of us will suffer.
No one's going to be thrown to the lions, this is the EU after all. But if a single priest is prosecuted for this -- or a single minister, rabbi or imam -- then every self-respecting Catholic on the planet must boycott all Danish products.
Jun 10th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: No one's going to be thrown to the lions, this is the EU after all. But if a single priest is prosecuted for this -- or a single minister, rabbi or imam -- then every self-respecting Catholic on the planet must boycott all Danish products.
I'm in. I don't usually get into boycotts but I will for this one.
Jun 10th 2014 new
This was posted on another forum I'm a member of earlier today.

First of all, the article is from June 2012, so it's (somewhat) old news.

Secondly, on the other forum I'm on, a gentleman from Norway stated that despite this article, this ruling only applies to the national Church of Denmark, not to the Catholic Church.

Posts 1 - 10 of 16