Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Hey all. Wondering why so many fellow Christians view Catholicism as nothing more than a cult? I'm born and raised Catholic but I live in an area with a VERY high concentration of Baptists followed by a few other Christian religions. For a few years I worshiped at a Baptist church and learned a LOT more about the bible than I had ever known previously and there was always this overwhelming communal feeling I've yet to find at any Catholic church I've ever been to. As an over the road trucker I've had the opportunity to meet and worship with people of many Christian faiths via truckstop ministries as well as small town groups that really hit home and it truly felt like God was calling me to learn more by taking the side roads.

The one thing that actually drove me back to the Catholic Church was how Baptists in particular viewed Catholicism as nothing more than the occult especially at my hometown church. I remember several sermons where the pastor would explain the differences between all of the different Christian religions and he made it a point to harp on the Catholics and the Mormons the hardest. I just don't get it. Growing up I was always taught in CCD and Catholic School that I should never discriminate against a person of another faith especially our fellow Christians but it definitely seems to be a one way street. I spent a year in a small Utah town that was predominantly Mormon and there were folks that didn't talk to me again after finding out I was raised Catholic. There was no Catholic Church in the town so I worshiped with the Episcopals on Sunday.

So my question is why do Catholics have such a bad rap?
Jun 11th 2014 new
Sean, Welcome home to the Catholic Church! When I was coming into the Church from Protestantism, I read a book by Karl Keating called Catholicism and Fundamentalism and in this book he quotes Bishop Fulton Sheen:

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
Fulton J. Sheen

I have found this to be true. Many Christians have the same idea as the Baptists but the truth is they don't really understand the Catholic Church's true teachings versus what they see on TV or imagine on their own.

As for the Mormons and that small town, it really wasn't so much your being Catholic as much as you NOT being a Mormon. My SIL and BIL worked for the Federal gov't in Utah and neither of them were Catholics or practicing Christians, an none of the Mormons they worked with or lived around would socialize with them. However, they did let their kids socialize with my nieces. But even there, my SIL felt that once the children got to be teens, their parents would probably no longer allow them to be friends.

There are so many misconceptions out there, that all we can do is to try to lovingly correct wrong beliefs about our faith, or just smile and move on our way, praying for their lack of open-mindedness.
Jun 11th 2014 new
That's a great quote! I've always attributed the false beliefs of other Christians towards Catholics as being misinformed. I could tell my pastor had never set foot inside any church other than the Baptist church and I feel that if he and most other Christians did so with an open heart they'd think differently. Not saying they'd be converts but rather understanding.

I feel that I never really left but rather went for an extended visit elsewhere. I was invited to be Baptised into the Baptist Church but I fundamentally believe in ONE baptism and that was when I was a wee little thing. I've always considered myself to be Catholic first and foremost.


Jun 11th 2014 new
Couldn't have said it better myself! Also, many times it's a misconception about Mary and the Saints. So many folks think we worship them, and that's just not true. It really comes down, like you said Kimberlie, to education.
Jun 11th 2014 new
(quote) Kimberlie-1059215 said: Sean, Welcome home to the Catholic Church! When I was coming into the Church from Protestantism, I read a book by Karl Keating called Catholicism and Fundamentalism and in this book he quotes Bishop Fulton Sheen:

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
― Fulton J. Sheen

I have found this to be true. Many Christians have the same idea as the Baptists but the truth is they don't really understand the Catholic Church's true teachings versus what they see on TV or imagine on their own.

As for the Mormons and that small town, it really wasn't so much your being Catholic as much as you NOT being a Mormon. My SIL and BIL worked for the Federal gov't in Utah and neither of them were Catholics or practicing Christians, an none of the Mormons they worked with or lived around would socialize with them. However, they did let their kids socialize with my nieces. But even there, my SIL felt that once the children got to be teens, their parents would probably no longer allow them to be friends.

There are so many misconceptions out there, that all we can do is to try to lovingly correct wrong beliefs about our faith, or just smile and move on our way, praying for their lack of open-mindedness.
Especially here in the metaphorical buckle of the bible belt. For years, I have have had fundamentalist customers ask me if I was saved,Then ask me what church I go, When they find out I am Catholic , The responses are akin to my being in a cult.

Years ago when my daughter was in junior high, A friend invited her to a "party" at the Baptist church.It was a revival. Afterwards,They had gathered the kids that were invited to cake and pop. They then ask each one if they were Christian, My daughter of course, said"Yes".She was then asked where she went to church, She told them "Sacred Heart". The interrogator then said"Oh, You are Catholic"My daughter replied, "Yes" To which the response was" You are not a Christian" She came home very upset.

As far as the LDS members(Mormon) I have a good friend I worked with many years ago which is an LDS member. For several years he ran the biomed dept at a Catholic hospital. He told me the NUNs were very polite, He respected them and never was trying to change their views, .It was mutual respect for each other's religion.
Jun 11th 2014 new
Because they're really bad spellers? wink
Jun 12th 2014 new
Worse are those trying to destroy the Church from within.
Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Sean-890291 said: So my question is why do Catholics have such a bad rap?
The fundamental reason is that for them to exist, Catholicism MUST BE WRONG.
If Catholicism is right, then there is no reason for any version of Protestantism to exist.

So they pour a lot of crazy energy into developing a million reasons why Catholicism is in error, mostly by mangling the Bible.






__________
two cents - on a good day
Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Bernard-2709 said: Worse are those trying to destroy the Church from within.
An amusing (apocryphal?) quote:

"In 1,800 years we clergy have failed to destroy the Church. Do you really think that you'll be able to do it?"
-- Ercole Cardinal Consalvi, Vatican Secretary of State to Pius VII, in bemused reply to Napolean Bonaparte's tirade that he would "destroy" the Church.




__________
"Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
-- Mt 16:18 (DRB)
Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: An amusing (apocryphal?) quote:

"In 1,800 years we clergy have failed to destroy the Church. Do you really think that you'll be able to do it?"-- Ercole Cardinal Consalvi, Vatican Secretary of State to Pius VII, in bemused reply to Napolean Bonaparte's tirade that he would "destroy" the Church.




__________
"Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."
-- Mt 16:18 (DRB)
Good Quote.
Posts 1 - 10 of 45