Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

This falls under the category of "stuff I didn't realize I had to forbid." wide eyed

OK, my son loves all things baseball and is actually quite good. (I take no credit for this, since I have no athletic ability whatsoever.) I come outside this beautiful summer evening and see my kid, wearing his cleats, pitching off the new mound he's made IN THE YARD, straight into the net he has set up for the purpose. The rake, shovel and a tape measure are nearby, mute testimony to the thought and effort he put into the project. I told Paul I admire his ingenuity, but the neighbors are going to kill us. I let him leave it for tonight. I will decide the fate of the pitching mound tomorrow. baseball

Never a dull moment around here!

Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: This falls under the category of "stuff I didn't realize I had to forbid."

OK, my son loves all things baseball and is actually quite good. (I take no credit for this, since I have no athletic ability whatsoever.) I come outside this beautiful summer evening and see my kid, wearing his cleats, pitching off the new mound he's made IN THE YARD, straight into the net he has set up for the purpose. The rake, shovel and a tape measure are nearby, mute testimony to the thought and effort he put into the project. I told Paul I admire his ingenuity, but the neighbors are going to kill us. I let him leave it for tonight. I will decide the fate of the pitching mound tomorrow.

Kids will keep you on your toes, no doubt about it!!
Jun 12th 2014 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: This falls under the category of "stuff I didn't realize I had to forbid."

OK, my son loves all things baseball and is actually quite good. (I take no credit for this, since I have no athletic ability whatsoever.) I come outside this beautiful summer evening and see my kid, wearing his cleats, pitching off the new mound he's made IN THE YARD, straight into the net he has set up for the purpose. The rake, shovel and a tape measure are nearby, mute testimony to the thought and effort he put into the project. I told Paul I admire his ingenuity, but the neighbors are going to kill us. I let him leave it for tonight. I will decide the fate of the pitching mound tomorrow.

Sam, my former house was on a bit of a slope and I envisioned a beautiful rock garden and flowers. It was the best little hill in the neighborhood, and was a great spot for the younger kids to sled after school in the winter. On any decent day with good snow the kids congregated there with their sleds. I never did put that rock garden in. My former husband still lives in the house, the next generation sleds there now, including my granddaughter when she visits from out of state. Your son will be grown soon, and the mound will be a memory in the past. As long as you don't have a neighborhood association and you don't care what it looks like I bet he will have many memories of pitching on his own personal pitchers mound.
Jun 12th 2014 new
My daughters built a zip line in front yard of condo! Was the place to be for almost a year then new neighbors moved in and it came down. Great memories and their engineer father looked down with BIG smile.
Jun 13th 2014 new
Sam, I have 5 boys who also love all things baseball. Luckily they don't have room to put a much in the front lawn, but there's a whiffle ball sized field in the backyard complete with all four bases marked out in big dirt patches with dirt paths to and from the surrounding bases. I've also been known to threaten their lives if they "forget" and hit righty making the balls fly too close to our neighbors' houses. They will rue the day they let a ball hit Neighbor Nancy's house (Only a mom of boys says things like rue the day anymore!) I have to say, I'm actually a bit jealous of the thought and ingenuity he put into it. I'm betting your pitcher's mound looks better than our field! Let me know if you'll be running a spring training camp next year. I'm thinking of sending my boys down to you! ;)
Jun 13th 2014 new
(quote) Suzanne-930338 said: Sam, my former house was on a bit of a slope and I envisioned a beautiful rock garden and flowers. It was the best little hill in the neighborhood, and was a great spot for the younger kids to sled after school in the winter. On any decent day with good snow the kids congregated there with their sleds. I never did put that rock garden in. My former husband still lives in the house, the next generation sleds there now, including my granddaughter when she visits from out of state. Your son will be grown soon, and the mound will be a memory in the past. As long as you don't have a neighborhood association and you don't care what it looks like I bet he will have many memories of pitching on his own personal pitchers mound.
Suzanne, thanks for the support. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this kind of dilemma. I don't care about the yard at all. I've long since giving up worrying about how things look- I am much more concerned about how things ARE. However, the nice retired man next door, who treats his yard like a full time job, may have other views. I may have to pay him a visit and see if he can stand it.
Jun 13th 2014 new
Mary Beth, the zip line is awesome! You also highlighted the quandary exactly. I love the creativity, hard work and ingenuity, but I want to balance those things with the rights of our neighbors.
Jun 13th 2014 new
(quote) Kayelle-994688 said: Sam, I have 5 boys who also love all things baseball. Luckily they don't have room to put a much in the front lawn, but there's a whiffle ball sized field in the backyard complete with all four bases marked out in big dirt patches with dirt paths to and from the surrounding bases. I've also been known to threaten their lives if they "forget" and hit righty making the balls fly too close to our neighbors' houses. They will rue the day they let a ball hit Neighbor Nancy's house (Only a mom of boys says things like rue the day anymore!) I have to say, I'm actually a bit jealous of the thought and ingenuity he put into it. I'm betting your pitcher's mound looks better than our field! Let me know if you'll be running a spring training camp next year. I'm thinking of sending my boys down to you! ;)
Kayelle, that's because only mothers of boys NEED expressions like "rue the day." It takes parenting to a whole different level, one with extended opportunities for broken bones and property damage. (And I have 5 brothers, so I have no trouble visualizing your house at all.) My kids have around 20 cousins and a few too many friends, based on popsicle consumption, and they are always coming and going. If your boys came and stayed for a while it might take me a few days to notice.
Jun 13th 2014 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: Kayelle, that's because only mothers of boys NEED expressions like "rue the day." It takes parenting to a whole different level, one with extended opportunities for broken bones and property damage. (And I have 5 brothers, so I have no trouble visualizing your house at all.) My kids have around 20 cousins and a few too many friends, based on popsicle consumption, and they are always coming and going. If your boys came and stayed for a while it might take me a few days to notice.
Get him one of those pitch back nets to go with it. My son could do that for hours. I admire his passion and creativity and it is a better idea than the one my brother had as a kid. (He used our hose hooked up to the apartment building behind us to flood an ice rink in our backyard.)
Jun 13th 2014 new

Before you level the mound, check out the pay scale for major league pitchers!!
Posts 1 - 10 of 56