Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

This is a disgraceful that a community college is asking for a property tax levy www.youtube.com if anybody sees a levy like this near you, please vote againist it and fail it!!!!!!!!!








Jun 14th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-973089 said: This is a disgraceful that a community college is asking for a property tax levy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFXl6BzEqc if anybody sees a levy like this near you, please vote againist it and fail it!!!!!!!!!








Just asking for clarification.

Why do you think it is disgraceful for a community college to ask for a property tax levy?

Mind you, I am not asking whether you oppose it or not.

Public community colleges are part of the education system of the state. As such they are entitled and must be funded by the state through taxes. So unless there is something in your state's constitution or law prohibiting the use of sales tax revenue for this purpose, they have a right to ask for proper funding to fulfill the mission assigned to them by law.


Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-866591 said: Just asking for clarification.

Why do you think it is disgraceful for a community college to ask for a property tax levy?

Mind you, I am not asking whether you oppose it or not.

Public community colleges are part of the education system of the state. As such they are entitled and must be funded by the state through taxes. So unless there is something in your state's constitution or law prohibiting the use of sales tax revenue for this purpose, they have a right to ask for proper funding to fulfill the mission assigned to them by law.


Well for one thing a college gets money from tuition something that grade schools do not. The taxes in the Rust Belt which includes Ohio are far too high and the last thing we need is more levys and driving the property taxes even higher and making more people want to do. Ohio has an older population to begin with so the people who can afford to pay more are not in this state. Mark
Jun 17th 2014 new
Using ad valorem tax is how our community colleges and technology schools( We have some of the best technology scchools in the country) are funded. using the grade school is an invalid analog. The scope of services and the cost to provide them is much different.
Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-973089 said: Well for one thing a college gets money from tuition something that grade schools do not. The taxes in the Rust Belt which includes Ohio are far too high and the last thing we need is more levys and driving the property taxes even higher and making more people want to do. Ohio has an older population to begin with so the people who can afford to pay more are not in this state. Mark
You have told me why you oppose the proposed tax. Not why it is outrageous.

On average, tuition covers less than 70% of the cost of delivering the education to the students nation wide.

No matter how it is done, the costs of running a public college, aside from tuition, always comes out of taxes. So if it is not a local property tax levy, it will come from an increase in some other tax.

It appears to me, that one would be better off battling potential waste that might exist than to oppose a property tax levy.

Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Mark-973089 said: Ohio has an older population to begin with so the people who can afford to pay more are not in this state.
Thought this population myth was debunked in an earlier thread in Mayventitled:
Just how practical is your current location for somebody else? www.catholicmatch.com


But I will repost the following link in regards to the population in Ohio circa 2010: www.clrsearch.com

The median age in Ohio is: 36.9
The median age in the US as a whole is 35.6

So it appears from the data above that Ohio is not that much different than the average city in the US.
And I am not sure what leads you to believe that an 18/19 year old entering college can afford to pay more?
Jun 17th 2014 new
Narration of and filming with an in hand video device of the entire video is done by the driver while driving. The author of the video seems more worried about college tuition than the countless lives he put at risk filming his video and the number of laws broken while doing so.

So while taxes are always a concern to many, advocating for the reduction of them by endangering the lives of others does not seem like a valid venue to attempt to convey such message.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7