Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Any advice for me?

Jun 13th 2014 new
I was raised Catholic but my parents were not strong Catholics- its like they went through the motions. I would like to get to know the Catholic faith more. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Jun 13th 2014 new
Find A FSSP Chapel and get rooted in the Churchs Tradition! fssp.com
Jun 13th 2014 new
(quote) Kate-1087446 said: I was raised Catholic but my parents were not strong Catholics- its like they went through the motions. I would like to get to know the Catholic faith more. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks
Consider volunteering at your church as much as you can! I learned quite a bit about Catholicism not only when I went through RCIA, but also when I helped out with it afterwards. At any rate talk to your priest, and try to read the Bible regularly (joining a Bible study group may be a good idea). smile theheart

Jun 13th 2014 new

Hi Kate,

Welcome to the forums!

I guess it's best to start at the starting point: ask yourself where are you in the faith? Do you pray daily, attend Mass regularly, understand the teachings and try to live them?

It is always a good idea to have some good old-fashioned Catholic reading material handy, something that belongs to you, that you can use regularly and refer to when you need to do so. If you don't already own a book of Catholic prayers, I'd recommend a trip to the Catholic bookstore/gift shop.

Regular Mass attendance can be a real anchor for your faith. It is one of those things that can slip off your schedule really easily if you don't make a concerted effort to go. Attend some of the events of your parish, and surround yourself with other practicing Catholics, as it will strengthen you to be around those who believe and worship as you do.

Jun 13th 2014 new
I tend to listen to Catholic radio more now instead of music when I drive. shhh
Jun 13th 2014 new

Hi,

The thread was moved to this room as the subject suits discussion related to learning about the faith. No worries about the thread being moved, it is just more of an advice/discussion thread, as opposed to a thread asking for prayers and support for a particular intention.

Jun 14th 2014 new
Hi Kate! Great name :) Something that has helped me in the past year, as a woman, was going to Endow classes. They are costly ($80 per 8-10 week class) but the relationships you build there are priceless. And, many times there can be older women who have a wealth of knowledge. If it is cost prohibitive for you, they do offer scholarships as well. I joined a group locally, and the women have been so supportive, and what is brought up personally in the classes stay there; it's like having more mothers and sisters to talk through rough periods. As another poster stated, RCIA would also be a wonderful way to get to know the faith better. My parish allows parishioners to attend just for that reason. May God bless and reward you!
Jun 14th 2014 new
Kate:

It's so good you're interested in growing in the faith. Ask around and find out which parishes have activities for young adults who want a good formation. Also see if Opus Dei conducts activities in your area. They have retreats and evenings of recollection. Their priests also provide spiritual direction and formation. I got a great foundation through Opus Dei.

Get into the practice of praying every morning and every evening. As you get out of bed in the morning and head back into bed at night, kneel beside it and spend a few minutes speaking to God - even (or especially) when you don't particularly want to do so.

Reading has made many saints. There are lots of great books and online resources. Look into these.

Jun 17th 2014 new
Kate-

You can join a faith sharing group, Bible study group or get involved in your parish. I find it helpful to meet a group of friends who are Catholic and get involved in the Church together.

-Mike
Posts 1 - 10 of 12