Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion of sports, non-video games & hobbies! Football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or your own personal favorite. Brag about your team and explain why the refs blew the big game! Discuss your passion for Corn Hole, Horseshoes,Texas Hold'em or other games.

Saint Christopher is the patron saint of the playing field.
Learn More:Saint Christopher

...and apparently no one cares.

How come football is big in every country in the world, except the United States?

Today Netherlands beat Spain (the current champion) by 5-1. It was a beautiful match.

Jun 16th 2014 new
USA WON AGAINST GHANA WITH THE GREATEST TWO POINTS EVER SCORED!! USA! USA! USA! OH MY GOSH WE BEAT GHANA!!! PRAISE GOD! WOOHOO!!!!
Jun 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jose-141701 said: ...and apparently no one cares.

How come football is big in every country in the world, except the United States?

Today Netherlands beat Spain (the current champion) by 5-1. It was a beautiful match.

I would not say that no one cares. There were many viewing parties throughout the U.S. to watch the Ghana-U.S. match which was VERY exciting.

The U.S. tends to have some exciting matches in the World Cup...Landon Donovan's last minute goal, the surprise win over Portugal in 2002, etc.

I did not see the Spain-Netherlands match but the result was shocking. I like both sides..maybe this is the year of the Netherlands. Who knows?

(En realidad todo el mundo quiere un juego final entre Brasil y Argentina. No?)

-William

Jun 17th 2014 new
Only if Argentina wins against Brazil!
Jun 17th 2014 new
Everybody's expecting the final match to be Argentina vs. Brasil, but, although they won, they had poor performances in their respective debuts. And after Germany soundly beat Portugal (Cristiano Ronaldo and all) by 4-0, I'm starting to think Argentina and Brasil might not reach the finals after all...

Of course, after the millions they've spent in organizing the World Cup, if they don't win I'm almost sure there will be riots on the streets.

Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Jose-141701 said: How come football is big in every country in the world, except the United States?

I'll give you my reasons why soccer is not popular to me.

1. The majority of minutes played is "keep away" with no incentive to attack the goal and score.
  2. The offsides rule encourages the defender to be slow and lazy compared to a fast attacker.
  3. Flopping is encouraged. Melodramatic athletes should act in a playhouse and not on the pitch.
  4. 90 minutes is a minimum rough estimate and the ref ultimately decides when the game ends.
  5. The amount of wild misplaced shots on goal makes me wonder if these athletes actually practice.

In all honesty, I'd rather watch ice hockey than soccer if given a choice between the two. Ice Skating
Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: I'll give you my reasons why soccer is not popular to me.

The majority of minutes played is "keep away" with no incentive to attack the goal and score. The offsides rule encourages the defender to be slow and lazy compared to a fast attacker.Flopping is encouraged. Melodramatic athletes should act in a playhouse and not on the pitch.90 minutes is a minimum rough estimate and the ref ultimately decides when the game ends. The amount of wild misplaced shots on goal makes me wonder if these athletes actually practice.
In all honesty, I'd rather watch ice hockey than soccer if given a choice between the two.
is this almost like watching baseball baseball or anything? shhh scratchchin
Jun 17th 2014 new
what about australia Australian Flag vs netherland ?
Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: I'll give you my reasons why soccer is not popular to me.

The majority of minutes played is "keep away" with no incentive to attack the goal and score. The offsides rule encourages the defender to be slow and lazy compared to a fast attacker.Flopping is encouraged. Melodramatic athletes should act in a playhouse and not on the pitch.90 minutes is a minimum rough estimate and the ref ultimately decides when the game ends. The amount of wild misplaced shots on goal makes me wonder if these athletes actually practice.
In all honesty, I'd rather watch ice hockey than soccer if given a choice between the two.
I get those reasons, even if I don't agree with some of them. Still, isn't it curious that football is the #1 sport in basically all the world, except the U.S.? Is the U.S. taste for sports really that different, or it's just a way to differentiate from the rest of the world? (like using imperial measures when everybody else's using metric tongue )
Jun 17th 2014 new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: what about australia vs netherland ?
Netherlands should win without much trouble. I'm more excited about Spain vs Chile. Spain needs desperately a win in order to move to the next round, but Chile's morale is very high after winning to Australia, and they'll be looking for another win to ensure their move to the round of 16. It's going to be a very interesting match.
Posts 1 - 10 of 72