Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

"Please be aware that divorced members who are not free to marry in the Catholic Church are permitted to use CatholicMatch but not for romantic purposes." ~ CM Terms of Use

Just wondering how many divorced members are abiding by this. I get confused when I see someone listed as Divorced and then they fill in the section on Seeking and talk about what they are looking for in someone of the opposite sex. I thought if a person is divorced, there should be no seeking. Why CM has that section open for your profiles, I don't understand. Seriously, I don't.

Then I just saw several Divorced & Free to Marry in the same profile. I don't understand that.

Jun 21st 2014 new
My feeble attempt to clarify a common myth regarding the annulment process:

I was married in the courthouse for a little over two years back in the early 90's. My former spouse was not Catholic and quickly remarried after our divorce. I remained single and sought advice from many priests regarding the annulment process. Each one of them assured me I did not need an annulment since it was a non-sacramental union. I did not begin dating until I was given this information. I joined Catholic Match last year not realizing my error. During a recent email exchange, a man asked me if I planned on having my marriage annulled. He was the first and only man that has ever asked me this question. This prompted me to revisit the topic. I then understood I was not given proper direction. I've been proactive and have initiated the Lack of Form process. My profile initially stated Divorced and Free to Marry. I have since changed it to In Process so there is less confusion on my status. It is my prayer that by sharing my story it may provide insight as to how these situations occur. I thank God for the charity this man extended with his inquiry which then led me to truth.
Jun 29th 2014 new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: Then I just saw several Divorced & Free to Marry in the same profile. I don't understand that.

If your ex-spouse died after your divorce you are free to marry. So, as in my status, I am Divorced & Free to Marry.
Jun 29th 2014 new
(quote) Kathy-514910 said: If your ex-spouse died after your divorce you are free to marry. So, as in my status, I am Divorced & Free to Marry.
I just browsed your profile and it is as you say. I thought CM would have a different way of handling it administratively. I could see where someone could get confused.
But your logic makes total sense to me.
Jun 30th 2014 new
I wished CM had a different way of handling it. I have mentioned it to them in the past.
Jul 1st 2014 new
Now I'm confused here scratchchin .

I had a civil court marriage and got a divorce. I never had a religious wedding so I am able to get married anytime. My status is divorced and able to get married. This sounds just about right to me crossfingers wink.

Maybe there are various reasons why this is left open for CMers to choose in their profiles. scratchchin
Jul 1st 2014 new
(quote) Rosy-566428 said: Now I'm confused here .

I had a civil court marriage and got a divorce. I never had a religious wedding so I am able to get married anytime. My status is divorced and able to get married. This sounds just about right to me .

Maybe there are various reasons why this is left open for CMers to choose in their profiles.
I was married by a Protestant minister outside the Catholic Church. When I came back into the Church, I had to get a Decree of Nullity due to Lack Of Canonical Form. It took about a month or so. For your country I would speak to a representative of the local bishop about what you need to do.
Jul 1st 2014 new
(quote) Rosy-566428 said: Now I'm confused here .

I had a civil court marriage and got a divorce. I never had a religious wedding so I am able to get married anytime. My status is divorced and able to get married. This sounds just about right to me .

Maybe there are various reasons why this is left open for CMers to choose in their profiles.
It's a myth that only Catholic marriages need to be annulled. The truth is that every marriage is considered promise for life, until death. It makes no difference whether that promise was made in a Catholic ceremony or not. No one, regardless of their religious affiliation or membership, is considered free to contract another marriage in the Catholic church if they were married previously. Every prior marriage must be investigated and annulled before a person can enter a new marriage. This requires a determination from a diocesan marriage tribunal that they are free to marry in the Church.

I was under the same assumption as you, Rosy. This was my error. I have since petitioned for a Lack of Form.
Jul 1st 2014 new
Thank you Jim!

I hope it helps Kathleen understand some of these status wink
Jul 1st 2014 new
Thank you Nicole.

I will look into how that works here. I have never heard of that document thus I hear it's needed elsewhere.

wave
Posts 1 - 10 of 68