Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Importance of personality

Jun 22nd 2014 new
I say it is so important to know what type of personality that will keep you in a relationship for at least a long time. It's obvious to know that looks are the first impression but personality is what keeps you in. With my two cents if you go for someone that differs from your personality, the relationship probably wouldn't last long. When you go for someone that shares your interests, you'll be happy. It is so important to go for what makes you happy. wave Bow
Jun 26th 2014 new

Interests and personality are completely separate and unrelated. And I'm not convinced that either is a requirement for a successful relationship.

What IS a requirement is the ability to "get" each other -- to "speak the same language", maybe laugh at the same things. You don't have to be similar personality types to do this.

And while it's nice to have interests and hobbies in common, if you like some (because he "gets" you, together you will discover new interests to share. (Late hubby and I never did share certain pet passions -- sailing for him, silent films for me -- but we discovered camping and science museums and zoos and gourmet cooking together.)

Jun 26th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-432657 said: I say it is so important to know what type of personality that will keep you in a relationship for at least a long time. It's obvious to know that looks are the first impression but personality is what keeps you in. With my if you go for someone that differs from your personality, the relationship probably wouldn't last long. When you go for someone that shares your interests, you'll be happy. It is so important to go for what makes you happy.
I don't know that I hope for someone 'like' me. I guess I will have to see. It will be important to me that he has a sense of humor. The rest of the items on my 'list' are virtues and some interests.
Jun 27th 2014 new
Isn't variety the spice of life?
Jun 27th 2014 new
(quote) Elizabeth-270942 said: Isn't variety the spice of life?
What do you mean? scratchchin
Jun 27th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

Interests and personality are completely separate and unrelated. And I'm not convinced that either is a requirement for a successful relationship.

What IS a requirement is the ability to "get" each other -- to "speak the same language", maybe laugh at the same things. You don't have to be similar personality types to do this.

And while it's nice to have interests and hobbies in common, if you like some (because he "gets" you, together you will discover new interests to share. (Late hubby and I never did share certain pet passions -- sailing for him, silent films for me -- but we discovered camping and science museums and zoos and gourmet cooking together.)

Of course there are people with multiple personalities. The thing is as long as you're happy with one another that's all that counts in some cases.
Jun 28th 2014 new
(quote) Tom-432657 said: What do you mean?
A bit of difference brings freshness and variety in life. Having same personality could be very boring. I agree with Margie that the ability to get each other is the most important factor.

Jun 28th 2014 new
(quote) Elizabeth-270942 said: A bit of difference brings freshness and variety in life. Having same personality could be very boring. I agree with Margie that the ability to get each other is the most important factor.

I agree with you, Elizabeth, but I find the temperament test to be an excellent starting place, though not everything in a relationship.
Jun 28th 2014 new
(quote) Elizabeth-270942 said: A bit of difference brings freshness and variety in life. Having same personality could be very boring. I agree with Margie that the ability to get each other is the most important factor.

I believe you're right. People don't have to have the same personalities to be attracted to each other. Most important thing is character.
Jul 12th 2014 new
(quote) Jim-13836 said: I agree with you, Elizabeth, but I find the temperament test to be an excellent starting place, though not everything in a relationship.
People can even have good multiple personalities and still get someone attracted to him/her two cents.
Posts 1 - 10 of 15