Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I've been thinking of moving to a warmer climate this fall. I'd like to know more about the area first. I've considered FL and CA so far. I lived in FL before.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there a church I could likely research in advance regarding playing in the music ministry? I like Contemporary Christian music.
2) Is there a local music scene so I could join a band and play gigs?
3) What do you like most about the area?

Jun 25th new
(quote) John-81108 said: I've been thinking of moving to a warmer climate this fall. I'd like to know more about the area first. I've considered FL and CA so far. I lived in FL before.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there a church I could likely research in advance regarding playing in the music ministry? I like Contemporary Christian music.
2) Is there a local music scene so I could join a band and play gigs?
3) What do you like most about the area?

John, if you are seriously considering Florida, spend at least two weeks there in the middle of summer. Unless you like miserably hot, humid weather, insect infestations, no place to hide from hurricanes, total reliance on air-conditioning and heavy traffic. check out the Carolinas instead. My son and his family live in West Palm Beach and I NEVER visit them in the summer. Also, Google the term "snowbirds."
Jun 25th new
John, I think the place for you might be Gainesville, FL.

Great music scene, check
Catholic churches, check (I'm sure you can call and see if they can use your talents)
Excellent doctors, check (I added that one because that's where I took my Father for a second opinion last Nov.)

As for hurricanes...well, I'd prefer to have a week's notice that one was on it's way so I can prepare rather than have the unexpected earthquake knock me to my feet like they tend to do in CA. And, the Carolinas get hurricanes, too, by the by.

Yes, summers are hot down here but northern FL, where Gainesville is located, is a bit different than South FL. Milder, more woodsy with fewer palm trees and the winters are cooler.

Just please be sure to root for the Miami Hurricanes and NOT the Florida Gators. We don't like the Gators *wink*

Blessings on your relocation flower
Jun 25th new
check out the taxes --- jobs --- tolls ..... beside the weather and terrain oops meant traffic/gas .... check the social and neighbors ....

Catholic Church how active ...

as Peter and Lourdes mentioned, visit during certain time of the year see how you like it, esp in summer places like FL, CA, Carolinas, etc.... i.e. before buying a house check the neighborhood see if it survive a storm and do an intense homework what your comfortable and needs - pros and cons ...... then elimate it .....

wish you the best in finding a new place ......... it is adventurous and gaining new experience/friendship, etc...
Jun 25th new
Thanks Peter. I'm actually still considering the snowbird thing since I can work remotely at my job. The other concern for me is my aging parents. They are both in mid to late 70s. I lived in ft lauderdale in year round before. I didn't mind it as much as I mind the winters here. Carolina's are on my list along with Nashville too.
Jun 25th new
Thanks Lourdes! It's a college town so I'd expect a good music scene. Was leaning toward coastal towns though. I was leaning toward south Florida because I know the area so well and could look up some old friends too. I was also looking into Siesta Key area. I also lived out by Destin and Pensacola. I feel like since I know Ft Lauderdale and the other areas so well I might be more comfortable there.
Jun 25th new
Thanks Genie! I might just use this year to go for a few months checking different areas. I wouldn't likely buy a house unless I met the right woman and settled down. I like the flexibility. Neighbors are important to me but a strong welcoming faith community is top of my list!
Jun 26th new
(quote) Lourdes-984540 said: John, I think the place for you might be Gainesville, FL.

Great music scene, check
Catholic churches, check (I'm sure you can call and see if they can use your talents)
Excellent doctors, check (I added that one because that's where I took my Father for a second opinion last Nov.)

As for hurricanes...well, I'd prefer to have a week's notice that one was on it's way so I can prepare rather than have the unexpected earthquake knock me to my feet like they tend to do in CA. And, the Carolinas get hurricanes, too, by the by.

Yes, summers are hot down here but northern FL, where Gainesville is located, is a bit different than South FL. Milder, more woodsy with fewer palm trees and the winters are cooler.

Just please be sure to root for the Miami Hurricanes and NOT the Florida Gators. We don't like the Gators *wink*

Blessings on your relocation
I'm a G-Ville Fan also after having lived there for four years. Love to revisit old familiar places that I did in my younger days. There is an awesome Catholic church there called Holy Faith. It's a small parish and it seemed like everyone knew everyone there. I always go to Mass there when I'm in town.
Don't forget The Millhopper Sinkhole on your visit. Back in the 1970's it was much different but it's just as cool as it was back then.
hey, My pick would be gainesville if I was given a choice.
Go Gators, (chomp, chomp)!!!

Jun 26th new
If you are trying to dodge paying state taxes, go with Florida. But if you are OK with having state legislators' hands in your pockets, go with California. laughing
Jun 26th new
(quote) Brett-848238 said: If you are trying to dodge. But if you are OK with having state legislators' hands in your pockets, go with California.
don't try dodging cars/avoid a ticket use the crosswalk .. laughing laughing laughing
Posts 1 - 10 of 13