Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

...what is the default setting on the 7 infallible teachings of the Church listed in our profiles? In other words, if I'm creating a new profile and filling out all the fields in the profile for the first time, what are they set to by default (yes to...?) before I select my preferences? Are they set to "yes to all," or yes to none?

Jun 28th 2014 new
Try it and let us know. It should be pretty obvious. Look at your profile after it is done; if it does not say what you want, edit your profile.

I believe that each question has a link below it to a short explanation of the doctrine involved, in case you are unclear what the question is about. I have not seen statistics, but I think that most people agree with some doctrines, but not with all doctrines. Contraception would be an area where most catholics disagree with Church teaching, for example. (The recent Vatican report related to the synod on the family discusses some of these issues).

Richard

Jun 28th 2014 new
By the way, I do not believe that any of the 7 teachings are infallible. There are very few infallible teachings.

www.uscatholic.org

Richard

Jun 28th 2014 new
I'm not sure if they are set to default. However, we can edit our answers to the infalliable teachings in the Faith section anytime.
Jun 28th 2014 new
(quote) Richard-831657 said: By the way, I do not believe that any of the 7 teachings are infallible. There are very few infallible teachings.

http://www.uscatholic.org/church/2011/05/there-list-infallible-teachings

Richard

The article you sent pertains to the ex cathedra pronunciation of infallible teachings. However, there are two forms of infallibly defined teaching, those defined by the extraordinary magisterium of the Church (of a pope or an ecumenical council) and those by the ordinary and universal magisterium of the Church, which would include all teachings which have enjoyed the unanimous consent of the bishops. Infallibly defined teaching is obviously not confined to the Immaculate Conception or the Assumption for there are other dogmas which the faithful are obliged to assent to, such as in the Perpetual Virginity, Trinity, or the Dual Nature of Christ.

The ordinary ministry applies to such teachings on "faith and morals" which are not considered mere custom but are binding on the faithful such as the evil of contraception, and the sanctity of human life.

Jun 28th 2014 new
Also, I'm asking this question theoretically. I'm not literally sitting with my fingers poised on the keyboard to scrap this profile and create a new one. I'd like to hear from the staff what happens if someone creates a new profile but doesn't fill out the section on Church teachings.
Jun 28th 2014 new
(quote) Devan-877827 said:

The article you sent pertains to the ex cathedra pronunciation of infallible teachings. However, there are two forms of infallibly defined teaching, those defined by the extraordinary magisterium of the Church (of a pope or an ecumenical council) and those by the ordinary and universal magisterium of the Church, which would include all teachings which have enjoyed the unanimous consent of the bishops. Infallibly defined teaching is obviously not confined to the Immaculate Conception or the Assumption for there are other dogmas which the faithful are obliged to assent to, such as in the Perpetual Virginity, Trinity, or the Dual Nature of Christ.

The ordinary ministry applies to such teachings on "faith and morals" which are not considered mere custom but are binding on the faithful such as the evil of contraception, and the sanctity of human life.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2011/09/ordinary-and-universal-magisterium/

Oddly enough, the atheist blog I unwittingly linked to on Patheos (which I read all the time for its noted Catholic blogs)rendered a factually correct opinion on Catholic teaching (an opinion I've seen repeated on more reputable sites), however in a classic lesson on the importance of reading a source in its entirety, I neglected to notice that it proceeds to go on a vulgar tirade slamming the Church for its supposed doctrinal malfeasance with respect to the priest abuse scandal.

I don't recommend anybody click on the link I inserted in my post, and I've submitted a help ticket to the mods so that they'll remove the link from my post as soon as possible.

Jun 30th 2014 new
Hi Devan,

There is no default. Each person, when creating their profiles, must choose their own personal responses for each of these questions.
Jun 30th 2014 new
(quote) Debbie-696127 said: Hi Devan,

There is no default. Each person, when creating their profiles, must choose their own personal responses for each of these questions.

Hi Debbie,

Just a little more clarity please, if you would. So if I'm creating a new profile and I haven't filled out that section yet, would it read that I've accepted none of the teachings?

Jul 1st 2014 new
You have already selected "yes" to indicate agreement with all seven of the faith teachings. Without responses to all of the required portions of a profile, the profile does not appear at all so there are no defaults.
Posts 1 - 10 of 11