Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Gas Grill vs Charcoal

Jun 28th 2014 new
I am appealing to all of you grill masters out there. I need to buy a grill. I literally just learned how to operate a gas grill the other night while making dinner for my kids at our local pool. Seriously, grilling has never been my job. Dad, boyfriends, then a husband all took on those duties. I know gas is super easy except I fear hooking those propane canisters up incorrectly and blowing something up. I like the idea of an authentic grilled taste too, minus the carcinogens from charring (cook over lower heat right?), but are they easy to get going. I do have a Boy Scout in the house but this is a talent I want learn - grilling.

Grilling enthusiasts, what say you, Gas or Charcoal?
Jun 28th 2014 new
Absolutely Charcoal. food that is cooked over a wood fire does not compare, Imho, with cooking with gas,electric, or propane.
Jun 29th 2014 new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Absolutely Charcoal. food that is cooked over a wood fire does not compare, Imho, with cooking with gas,electric, or propane.
I totally agree! Charcoal: THE best smile
Jun 29th 2014 new
(quote) Kimberlie-1059215 said: I am appealing to all of you grill masters out there. I need to buy a grill. I literally just learned how to operate a gas grill the other night while making dinner for my kids at our local pool. Seriously, grilling has never been my job. Dad, boyfriends, then a husband all took on those duties. I know gas is super easy except I fear hooking those propane canisters up incorrectly and blowing something up. I like the idea of an authentic grilled taste too, minus the carcinogens from charring (cook over lower heat right?), but are they easy to get going. I do have a Boy Scout in the house but this is a talent I want learn - grilling.

it depends on you and timetable to get things ready .......

gas is easy and versatile depending on the type and model, some you can cook while grilling at the same time .... there is a way you can also get smoke flavor ........

grill w/charcoal it is more work and messier you can get smoke flavor by including sweet nutty wood or pellets .......

good luck on your choice ....
Jun 29th 2014 new
Charcoal is the best but it takes a lot longer because you have to let the coals get hot. Gas is instant so quicker.
Jun 29th 2014 new
Hi Kimberlie!

I have been using gas grills for years and never have had any problem. You do get a nice grilled flavor although it will taste different from charcoal. The flavor comes from the reaction of the starches / sugars of the particular food in contact with the direct heat of the flames~ be it gas or charcoal. You can also buy infused planks (maple, hickory) to create an added flavor dimension to the cooked food. The other benefit of a gas grill is you can control the heat level--it is much harder to achieve a consistent temperature with a charcoal fire. biggrinP.S.~ I am a professional chef and that is my two cents
Jun 29th 2014 new
(quote) Kimberlie-1059215 said: I am appealing to all of you grill masters out there. I need to buy a grill. I literally just learned how to operate a gas grill the other night while making dinner for my kids at our local pool. Seriously, grilling has never been my job. Dad, boyfriends, then a husband all took on those duties. I know gas is super easy except I fear hooking those propane canisters up incorrectly and blowing something up. I like the idea of an authentic grilled taste too, minus the carcinogens from charring (cook over lower heat right?), but are they easy to get going. I do have a Boy Scout in the house but this is a talent I want learn - grilling.

Howdy Kimberlie...

I myself prefer charcoal... Gas is much more convenient though... I think it also depends on how often and how many people your cooking for... If its just three or four, I use a table top Weber, it can be purchased for about forty bucks and doesn't use alot of charcoal... As for starting the charcoal, I prefer using a charcoal chimney... Its a device that eliminates charcoal starting fluid... The chimney works really good...

Weber makes a few different size and types of grills... I have had one Weber charcoal grill for about 20 years now... There very well made... Weber also makes a grill that utilizes propane to get the charcoal going... This type may be right up your alley...

I would imagine that Weber has a web site of all their stuff...

Be prepared for sticker shock though... Take care now...
Jun 29th 2014 new
(quote) Michelle-989480 said: Hi Kimberlie!

I have been using gas grills for years and never have had any problem. You do get a nice grilled flavor although it will taste different from charcoal. The flavor comes from the reaction of the starches / sugars of the particular food in contact with the direct heat of the flames~ be it gas or charcoal. You can also buy infused planks (maple, hickory) to create an added flavor dimension to the cooked food. The other benefit of a gas grill is you can control the heat level--it is much harder to achieve a consistent temperature with a charcoal fire. P.S.~ I am a professional chef and that is my
Hello,
I prefer to use gas over charcoal due to the time factor involved! I do think any grilled food is very good! You can cook so many different things on the grill and it tastes so good! Yesterday actually just got a new grill and I like the features it has!!! Grill, BBQ, searing, rotisserie! I am thinking Sunday is a good day to grill for lunch with some burgers and pork chops!!!!

happy grilling everyone!!!
Jun 29th 2014 new

Why limit yourself to either or? Since each has inherent advantages and disadvantages, a serious BBQ'er will have both, like I do tongue

When putting a larger BBQ on, the gas grill is the way to go because of speed and conveniences, but I agree with a lot of the guys that the best savory taste comes off charcoal BBQ's. One needs practice with it to get it honed right otherwise the inexperienced will ruin quite a few efforts before perfecting it. Charcoal grills usually lack temperature sensors and ability to have temperature control, so an experienced griller will be prepared by way of methodology.

The charcoal grills are typically much less expensive than the gas grills.

Then there is also the in-ground pit BBQ method worth the consideration.

Jun 29th 2014 new
Besides, how would the guys/gals know which is better if at one point they didn't have both?
Posts 1 - 10 of 51