Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I once overheard a male friend of mine advising another that "[f]lowers are NEVER a bad investment". This friend then started his first year at MIT's Sloan School of Business; he knew hs investments. So why don't men bring flowers for their beloved, their intended, or even their prospective date(s)? I can say with absolute certainty that, although I have received quite a few flowers in my time, the majority have come from my parents. Considering the fact that a relatively inexpensive grocery-store arrangement can make a woman's (or at least this woman's) temper improve radically, I have often wondered why men just haven't caught on.

What do you have to say for yourselves, men? And while I'm at it, do other women melt into a rainbow puddle at the sight of a bouquet (assuming they're not neon
carnations - no points for those, I'm afraid)? Perhaps I and my mother are in the minority....
Jun 30th new
I absolutely love receiving flowers! The sight of a gorgeous arrangement makes me happy and I agree with you on the carnations! However, I do know of a few women who believe that flowers are a waste of money.
Jun 30th new
Maura, I agree with you that even a single flower is sweet and appreciated by a woman by a man who's seemingly interested in dating/courting/relationships etc. But, what would you say to this situation? I am friends with a guy, who I at one time thought I might have had romantic feelings for (and I thought he did for me originally...) but who eventually revealed to me he wanted to just be friends. Though at first I was a bit 'devastated', I didn't want to lose my friendship with him, I greatly respect and admire him (he's a soldier, active in his community and church, a business owner etc.). Anyway about two weeks ago he invited me to go to Friday evening Mass with him (St. Anthony's Feast Day :) to which I agreed. We went in his car to which he was being very gentlemenlike, opening the car door for me, attending this Novus Ordo Mass (he's a Tridentine kind of guy, so this was kind of a big deal for him...) etc. Afterwords, we walked around town, he and I shared a late dinner (that he suggested and paid for!) and then when we got back to his home where my car was parked and were about to say goodbye, he asked if I could run into the kitchen and grab him a Coke out of the fridge. I thought that was a bit weird (we just had dinner, lol), but I went in, opened the fridge and guess what was there ? A huge, beautiful bouquet of flowers! Now I'll admit, the business he owns is a flower shop, laughing but he's never done that out of the blue before (once for my birthday and Christmas he gave me bouquet these 2 bouquets prior to the revelation of 'just be friends'). So taken aback I thanked him, said the expected "You shouldn't have...you didn't have to do that..." sort of thing to which he just brushed it off and said, "But I own a flower shop. Okay well it's getting late, bye!" as he plopped down on a chair in his living room not even walking me to the door or opening it though my hands were full with flowers, my purse, leftovers etc. and though he had been a perfect gentleman... Lol, I don't get it! I never have any guy get me flowers ever (except my 8 yr old nephew who likes to pick them from gardens and 'surprise' me with his find wink ) so I don't know what this all is supposed to mean with my soldier friend... Thoughts on if one receives flowers from 'just a friend' guy?
Jun 30th new
(quote) Anna-1061976 said: I absolutely love receiving flowers! The sight of a gorgeous arrangement makes me happy and I agree with you on the carnations! However, I do know of a few women who believe that flowers are a waste of money.
No $$$$ for a wonderful arrangement of dandelions. A true gift of love, they look good, are edible, and are very nutritious.
Jun 30th new

Me thinks he's a friend, who is thoughtful and sweet, and may want to move very slowly. Your reaction was just right...and I wouldn't start embellishing it at this point into more. Just enjoy!

BTW: My next-door neighbor gave me a hand-picked bouquet of wildflowers a few days ago, just because he likes to see someone be surprised and smile. He's 25 years my junior, happily married with kids, and I remind him of his mother. It was a sweet thing to do, but no romance there!

Jun 30th new
I guess I am just old fashioned, I have always sent or brought flowers. On certain Holidays, I give my daughter flowers I used to randomly bring flowers home to my wife.
Jun 30th new
Flowers, whether hand picked daisies & wildflowers or gorgeous bouquets, make me smile. They are a simple, kind gesture for a man of any age to say he was thinking about you today. One male friend equates men giving flowers to the male version of baking cookies & goodies for a guy "just because".

Jun 30th new
(quote) Bob-59786 said: No $$$$ for a wonderful arrangement of dandelions. A true gift of love, they look good, are edible, and are very nutritious.
You are so right: they are beautiful! But have you ever tasted them? Wow, bitter! They're excellent in smoothies though, which masks the taste. The leaves are high in calcium, minerals, antioxidants, iron etc..
I'd take dandelions any day- I love their simplicity. Well, any flower is beautiful, truly.
Jun 30th new
I love fresh flowers. My cats also Love to eat them laughing
Jun 30th new
(quote) Maura-1030942 said:  Considering the fact that a relatively inexpensive grocery-store arrangement can make a woman's (or at least this woman's) temper improve radically,

If i give Flowers... it's because I appreciate the person i'm sending them to..and they bring a smile to my face when i think of them. wink
If i have to send them to "radically improve someones Temper" then that person is probably not the one for Me. boggled
Posts 1 - 10 of 196