Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Statement of Michael P. Warsaw, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of EWTN Global Catholic Network on June 27, 2014 Filing with the US Supreme Court:

Irondale, AL (EWTN) "This evening, EWTN filed a motion for emergency relief with the United States Supreme Court asking that it grant an injunction preventing the government from enforcing the HHS contraceptive services mandate against the Network starting on July 1st. The Network had requested this protection from the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, but that court has yet to respond to our petition. We are hopeful that the Supreme Court will grant EWTN protection from this onerous rule that would force us to provide contraception and abortion-inducing drugs as part of our employee health plan. As we have said repeatedly, these drugs and procedures are not health care and EWTN should not be forced to provide them or face over $35,000 per day in penalties to the government for refusing to do so. In addition to our request for an emergency injunction, the Network is also filing a motion asking the Supreme Court to take up the full merits of our case. We believe that the issues at stake are deserving of direct consideration by the highest court of the land.

On Monday, the Supreme Court will issue its decision in the Hobby Lobby case. It is not certain that a decision in favor of Hobby Lobby will actually settle the matter for EWTN or other nonprofit organizations. Similarly, it is not certain that a negative decision in that case would apply to EWTN. Therefore, we felt it important to move our own case forward now while we await the verdict in the Hobby Lobby case.

We ask our EWTN Family to continue to keep this matter in prayer."

EWTN just announced this early morning of Monday 30 June 2014 that Hobby Lobby won its case.....we must keep on praying and sacrificing for religious liberty in this country and the world. All Glory and Praise be to God, the giver of all our rights and blessings!!!

Jun 30th 2014 new
Narrow decision of 5 to 4. So it was close.
Jun 30th 2014 new

This is great news - I have been so disappointed with what has been happening in our culture lately - It is so wonderful to see that religious freedom has received the support and recognition that is provided for in the bill of rights - I wish it had been a little better than 5-4 but I am happy!

Jun 30th 2014 new
Good news, indeed. Encouraging for everyone who is pro-life.
Jun 30th 2014 new
Great news

And yes I am pro life but I was able to look at this logically (ok logical to me :)) - my employer provides me with health insurance and points out that they do not provide coverage for birth control or abortion due to their religious convictions - so here are my choices, stay there or leave - easy peasey.

I am listening to my radio guy right now who is a non practicing Jewish gentleman AND agnostic...but I always like his summaries and he backed up hobby lobby, mainly for the reason that birth control is relatively easy to obtain, that in this case if you choose to practice birth control you can, just not on hobby lobby's dime. Hobby lobby is a religious organization that doesn't support birth control, separation of church and state as I understand it.

Right after gay marriage was legalized a same sex couple went into a bakery and asked for a wedding cake, bakery refused due to religious convictions and the couple went nuts - ridiculous in my book...my understanding further of the bakery is they stated look we will make you a cake, just not acknowledge it as a wedding cake. If I went into a business and asked for something and they refused I would state "you realize I will take my business someplace else" - hopefully they hold the door open as I exit.

Kudos to Hobby Lobby - and Supreme Court for making the prudent decision that it did

Jun 30th 2014 new
(quote) Greg-729474 said:

This is great news - I have been so disappointed with what has been happening in our culture lately - It is so wonderful to see that religious freedom has received the support and recognition that is provided for in the bill of rights - I wish it had been a little better than 5-4 but I am happy!

Certainly, it is good news and it is a shame that government has to make decisions like this when, God Supreme Good, Supreme God, All High God, is the Author of Life and All Goodness. I wish that it had been unanimous but it seems that those liberal judges voted against it. We thank God for what took place!
Jun 30th 2014 new
(quote) Jennifer-706848 said: Great news

And yes I am pro life but I was able to look at this logically (ok logical to me :)) - my employer provides me with health insurance and points out that they do not provide coverage for birth control or abortion due to their religious convictions - so here are my choices, stay there or leave - easy peasey.

I am listening to my radio guy right now who is a non practicing Jewish gentleman AND agnostic...but I always like his summaries and he backed up hobby lobby, mainly for the reason that birth control is relatively easy to obtain, that in this case if you choose to practice birth control you can, just not on hobby lobby's dime. Hobby lobby is a religious organization that doesn't support birth control, separation of church and state as I understand it.

Right after gay marriage was legalized a same sex couple went into a bakery and asked for a wedding cake, bakery refused due to religious convictions and the couple went nuts - ridiculous in my book...my understanding further of the bakery is they stated look we will make you a cake, just not acknowledge it as a wedding cake. If I went into a business and asked for something and they refused I would state "you realize I will take my business someplace else" - hopefully they hold the door open as I exit.

Kudos to Hobby Lobby - and Supreme Court for making the prudent decision that it did

We certainly have to keep praying. "Ask and you shall receive, seek and you shall find, knock and it will be opened to you" "Jesus, I trust in You" "Jesus, Thy Kingdom Come" "Jesus, have mercy on us" "Jesus, have mercy on us sinners" This is a giant step but we have much more to go and with God all things are possible....."mountains can be moved"
Jun 30th 2014 new
(quote) John-34848 said: Good news, indeed. Encouraging for everyone who is pro-life.
Yes it is encouraging and with all the bad news, this indeed is good news! Praying Praying Praying theheart theheart theheart rosary rosary rosary
Jun 30th 2014 new
Thanks be to God! theheart Praying rosary
Jun 30th 2014 new
Statement of Michael P. Warsaw, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of EWTN Global Catholic Network on June 30, 2014 US Supreme Court Decision in the Hobby Lobby Case:

"EWTN is extremely pleased with today's Supreme Court decision in the Hobby Lobby case. The fact that the Court believes that the government has less restrictive means of accomplishing its goals is very helpful. However, it remains unclear whether this decision addresses the serious objections that EWTN has raised with regard to the government's "accommodation" scheme for nonprofit faith-based organizations. We are consulting with our legal team to determine how this significant decision applies to EWTN and our pending case before the courts."

Posts 1 - 10 of 83