Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

struggles

Jun 30th 2014 new
As I was doing my job (I'm a mailman) I had to deliver a bunch of playboys, workout magazines and Victoria secret catalogues with half naked woman on the covers. I am a proud catholic man who practices celibacy and staying away from lusting at heart but sometimes I struggle with it. Especially when you see these kinds of magazines everyday. I'm sure there are other Catholics who are celibate and respect Jesus commandments as well. Do any of you struggle from time to time with this? Sometimes I feel alone in this kind of battle. Or maybe you struggle being single or maybe you came off a bad breakup. Hopefully my brothers and sisters, we can pray for each other and live our lives the way god wants us to live and treat our bodies like temples. Sorry for this rant but I just have been struggling with this lately.
Jul 1st 2014 new
Darrin, I'm sorry that this temptation is placed in front of you so often and that you are struggling with how to deal with it. You most definitely are not alone, stay strong through Christ and know that your devoutness to being a true Catholic man is both honorable and appreciated! God Bless and remember, "Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Praying theheart Dove

Jul 1st 2014 new
(quote) Darrin-306390 said: As I was doing my job (I'm a mailman) I had to deliver a bunch of playboys, workout magazines and Victoria secret catalogues with half naked woman on the covers. I am a proud catholic man who practices celibacy and staying away from lusting at heart but sometimes I struggle with it. Especially when you see these kinds of magazines everyday. I'm sure there are other Catholics who are celibate and respect Jesus commandments as well. Do any of you struggle from time to time with this? Sometimes I feel alone in this kind of battle. Or maybe you struggle being single or maybe you came off a bad breakup. Hopefully my brothers and sisters, we can pray for each other and live our lives the way god wants us to live and treat our bodies like temples. Sorry for this rant but I just have been struggling with this lately.
Fight the good fight and stay strong! I assure you that many, many others struggle with the same temptations. Just be the good example of a strong, devout Catholic man - the world so needs more of you!
Jul 1st 2014 new
Hi Darrin,
Please pray to God that this kind of work isn't suitable for you, for your Faith at all. It gives you lots of temptations and you are failed sometimes. Ask the Lord to lead you to some other jobs that He sees it's better for you, and more than that it helps you draw closer to God. Asks for His guidance Darrin.

I'll pray for you too, for He guides you to a better job and good for your Faith.

Jul 1st 2014 new

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers people. Mostly appreciated. It's nice to know I'm not alone and I have lots of awesome support around me :)

Praying theheart rosary hug

Jul 2nd 2014 new
Darrin, sorry to hear that your seeing all the garbage that is being sent to one's home, rest assured that your doing the right thing and perhaps that these individuals are having to resort to such garbage to satisfy their urges or needs. Be thankful that your a better person than that! You get a Gold Star!
Jul 2nd 2014 new
Maybe you can keep a picture of the Blessed Mother, or a female saint on you to help remind you of what a Godly woman is like. What about carrying a rosary.?
I find time in a daily chapel or adoration helps keep the lower nature at bay. How about even praying for the woman in those pics?
Jul 2nd 2014 new
(quote) Darrin-306390 said: As I was doing my job (I'm a mailman) I had to deliver a bunch of playboys, workout magazines and Victoria secret catalogues with half naked woman on the covers. I am a proud catholic man who practices celibacy and staying away from lusting at heart but sometimes I struggle with it. Especially when you see these kinds of magazines everyday. I'm sure there are other Catholics who are celibate and respect Jesus commandments as well. Do any of you struggle from time to time with this? Sometimes I feel alone in this kind of battle. Or maybe you struggle being single or maybe you came off a bad breakup. Hopefully my brothers and sisters, we can pray for each other and live our lives the way god wants us to live and treat our bodies like temples. Sorry for this rant but I just have been struggling with this lately.
You are not alone, Darrin. I have a friend who is also a postal worker. He expressed the same struggle with the magazines he has to sort and deliver on his route. Some of the more explicit magazines are wrapped in plastic, while others are not. He was able to maintain victory over the eye gate through prayer.
Jul 2nd 2014 new
Hi Darrin,

I was a mail carrier myself for a few months, and while I was lucky enough to rarely have to deal with explicit material, I can understand how hard it must be. Maybe you can just remember a good rule of thumb in general for a carrier: you just deliver the mail, you don't really care what it is (unless it's a dangerous package) and you shouldn't try to look at it too closely to see where it's from. I know that's tough when they put the address label on the front cover instead of the back cover of the magazine, but I would say do your best to just focus on the job you have to do and perhaps just offer a short prayer for yourself and the people you are delivering the material to while out on the route. Keep your mind occupied with other things and that should help relieve the urges. It's helped me in the past in other situations. A distraction from the distractions, you could say.
Jul 2nd 2014 new
So sorry Darrin,

I can't believe these magazines (especially playboy and such) are not mailed in envelopes so no one can see them. When I was a teenager, we lived in a private house with an unlocked mailbox and I checked the mail when I came home from school. I'm sure there are youngsters who check the mail also and/or some of these magazines are getting into hands of children.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10