Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

I saw this recently and wondered, are other diocese also discontinuing even asking a fee for the annulment process?
www.catholiccourier.com

Jul 1st new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: I saw this recently and wondered, are other diocese also discontinuing even asking a fee for the annulment process?
http://www.catholiccourier.com/news/local-news/diocese-to-stop-charging-fees-for-annulment-process/

You are so lucky to have Bishop Montano. He was the bishop when I was living in VT. I am glad that he has instituted the no pay rule for annulments! That is the first I have heard of that... Very interesting!
Jul 1st new
I'm very glad to have Bishop Matano.

Jul 1st new
My annulment, which was granted in June, didn't cost me anything.
Jul 1st new
In this part of NY, there was a "suggested donation" but it was always negotiable. I suspect removing even the hint of a price tag is intended to address the problem of divorced Catholics marrying a second time outside the Church and thinking it's OK to receive Holy Communion.
Aug 2nd new
Anulled. more than twenty years ago. The suggested fee was $600 but since I was the single mum of eight I didn't have to pay anything. I was bankrupct at the time.
Aug 3rd new
The Diocese of Lafayette in Indiana has not asked for a fee for a long time.. They consider it to fall under their Catholic Charities stipend. The Archdiocese of Indianapolis did require a fee, but they were very generous if you couldn't afford to pay.
Aug 4th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: I saw this recently and wondered, are other diocese also discontinuing even asking a fee for the annulment process?
http://www.catholiccourier.com/news/local-news/diocese-to-stop-charging-fees-for-annulment-process/

I wish that were the case in Pittsburgh where the petitioner is expected to pay $650 and respondents are expected to pay $200 when seeking to use the decision to enter a new marriage. It also seems to take much longer than the year the article suggests to get through the process. With the cost and length of time involved, I believe it deters many people.

diopitt.org

Aug 4th new
(quote) Renee-618605 said: I wish that were the case in Pittsburgh where the petitioner is expected to pay $650 and respondents are expected to pay $200 when seeking to use the decision to enter a new marriage. It also seems to take much longer than the year the article suggests to get through the process. With the cost and length of time involved, I believe it deters many people.

http://diopitt.org/office-faith-formation/annulments-declarations-nullity

:whistle: That's steep.
Aug 4th new
Just as a gentle reminder to readers, the "fees" or "suggested donations" associated with a nullity investigation cover but a tiny fraction of the costs associated with the process. A similar process handled through civil lawyers would end up costing thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars.

Of the few cases I know for which fees were a potential problem, the fees were waived upon (reasonable?) request.

I can see an argument being made to do away with the fees as a way to eliminate the accusation that Catholics can "buy" an annulment.

And charging respondents does seem a little odd.

Conversely, I can see fees as a simple way to impress upon participants that the proceedings are serious and to put their "best case" forward (not that any here weren't serious in their efforts, but I do know of a case that certainly appeared frivolous to me). I would hate to think that elimination of fees ended up increasing the number of frivolous cases passing through a tribunal.

My annulment took 3 years because of a paperwork snafu.