Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Photo Search

Jul 3rd new

I guess I'm sort of wondering why the Photo Search option operates the way that it does. To be clear, I'm not trying to be unrealistic. I recognize that physical attraction is certainly not irrelevant; I just think that we are overemphasizing it with the Photo Search setup. It gives users a way to discreetly view someone's photos without viewing their profile, thus making it a logical precursor to actually reading a profile. Because of how this is setup a user's first step will often be to view the photos and THEN decide if they want to view the profile. Why not send notification when a photo is viewed so that profile and photos are on equal footing?

I'm not sure how many people are familiar with a reality show called The Voice but it's a singing competition that operates on blind auditions. Basically a performer comes out and sings for a group of judges who have their backs turned. If the judges enjoy what they hear they can press a button to indicate their interest and turn their chair around to face the performer. The obvious goal is to judge the singer's talent regardless of their appearance. While perhaps overly idealistic it seems like we are facilitating the opposite. Imagine instead a show where an aspiring singer came out and faced a group of judges without being allowed to perform. The judges make a snap decision based solely on appearance and often turn their backs on the performer who is left to walk off the stage in silence. That would be so cruel that the show would be canceled before the first episode was done airing and the network would be flooded with hate mail.

Jul 3rd new
I see your point and without a doubt there is some validity to it.. however i would throw this out there. That those who surf pictures first, in determining whether to contact someone, will probably do so even if they browse the profile. boggled
Hopefully we all realize that beauty is often fleeting and only skin deep.. and that to make a true connection takes Body, Mind, and Spirit. scratchchin Praying
Jul 3rd new

Yeah, I totally agree with you but the key word is "probably". Honestly I'm not sure how seperating photos from the profiles does any good for anyone. The fact that they are there for discreet viewing just seems like a (probably unintended but) sublte encouragement to form a first judgement based solely on them.

Jul 3rd new
(quote) Daniel-1082036 said:

Yeah, I totally agree with you but the key word is "probably". Honestly I'm not sure how seperating photos from the profiles does any good for anyone. The fact that they are there for discreet viewing just seems like a (probably unintended but) sublte encouragement to form a first judgement based solely on them.

Unfortunately, you would have to blame that on Biology 101.

The same instinct that turns your attention to the most attractive woman in a room also works on Catholic dating sites. I don't think there is any getting around this.
Jul 3rd new
(quote) William-607613 said: Unfortunately, you would have to blame that on Biology 101.

The same instinct that turns your attention to the most attractive woman in a room also works on Catholic dating sites. I don't think there is any getting around this.

I get that looks will always be a part of the equation (perhaps the entire equation in many cases as sad as that is). All I'm saying is that there's no reason to encourage it to be the sole basis of judgment and that's what I feel the discreet Photo Search does.

Jul 8th new
Wow! I was unaware of this feature and how it works. I can see your point -- that it facilitates ruling people out by looks alone however, I think I prefer not to know each time someone is window shopping by photo alone.
I make it my goal to send some kind of message to everyone who views my profile. If they aren't interested enough to look beyond the photo, they would probably not be a good match for me anyhow. What a time saver! Just imagine how often my hopes would be dashed if I thought every man who even looks at my picture were truly interested in me.

Jul 8th new
I just think that everything a user posts should be emphasized equally. What other users do from that point is up to them.
Jul 8th new
(quote) Daniel-1082036 said: I just think that everything a user posts should be emphasized equally. What other users do from that point is up to them.
You know, I'd like to see whether or not a person is geographically flexible right up there with his/her home town.
Would CM ever be able to let us customize what comes up with a person's mug shot? I mean, profile picture or lack thereof...
So yeah, making all parts of a user profile independently searchable makes sense.
Jul 16th new
I totally agree with what you wrote. I never tried that feature of CM, but it does seem that is the ultimate in superficial browsing.
There is only one possible benefit this search might have. It use to be, when I first joined CM many moons ago, that it was much easier to find a member by their name. Last time I checked, which was tonight, if you do a name search it only finds those people you have communicated with or have communicated with you with recently. So suppose I want to search to see if a certain member is still on CM and I only know their name, if I have not communicated with them recently (time frame unknown) or vice versa, forget it unless I memorized their member number. Photo search may be a way of finding that person.
Jul 16th new
(quote) Richard-632838 said: I totally agree with what you wrote. I never tried that feature of CM, but it does seem that is the ultimate in superficial browsing.
There is only one possible benefit this search might have. It use to be, when I first joined CM many moons ago, that it was much easier to find a member by their name. Last time I checked, which was tonight, if you do a name search it only finds those people you have communicated with or have communicated with you with recently. So suppose I want to search to see if a certain member is still on CM and I only know their name, if I have not communicated with them recently (time frame unknown) or vice versa, forget it unless I memorized their member number. Photo search may be a way of finding that person.
Good point, that is at least a potential use (although I doubt it's the design intent or common usage). Try this one on for size:

Why do the number of photo likes have to be publically visible?

To me it seems like we're already dealing with something almost totally superficial. At least let poeple form their own superficial judgements. How does one use this knowledge (because let's be honest, you're not going to ignore it)?
Posts 1 - 10 of 22