Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Does Height Matter?

Jul 3rd new
By the way, this is my first post.

I'm 5'6" , so I'm relatively short, however I've never thought of myself as a short person when with other people. Now as a guy with my height, is it realistic to think that any lady, let's just say 5'9" and above may not even give me a chance just because I'm shorter than her?

Jul 3rd new

Hi Patrick, what a vulnerable and courageous first post! Speaking for myself, height does not matter. I am 5 feet 4 inches and my first and second loves were not much taller. I like being able to look at the face of someone near my height. I have dated men over 6 feet and it doesn't feel as companionable to me. two cents

Jul 4th new
(quote) Patrick-781405 said: By the way, this is my first post.

I'm 5'6" , so I'm relatively short, however I've never thought of myself as a short person when with other people. Now as a guy with my height, is it realistic to think that any lady, let's just say 5'9" and above may not even give me a chance just because I'm shorter than her?

It shouldn't matter if we look at the big picture. However, I'm 5'10'' and I do state "tall" as a preference due to past experiences. I don't have issues with shorter guys, they seem to have issues with me as a tall woman. If I meet a confident shorter man who doesn't make me feel like the Jolly Green Giant than I would definitely give him a chance.
Jul 4th new
I agree, this was a courageous question. It will matter to some women but not to others. Personally, I am tall and I enjoy wearing heels so I do prefer someone at least my height but I do not rule people out based on their height.
Jul 4th new
(quote) Michele-980775 said: I agree, this was a courageous question. It will matter to some women but not to others. Personally, I am tall and I enjoy wearing heels so I do prefer someone at least my height but I do not rule people out based on their height.

Hi Michele with one "l" from AZ. Welcome to the forums!

Jul 4th new
Hi Patrick,
I have never thought about height and do not use it as criteria when I search. But I am only 5'1. My Grandaddy was 5'6 and Grandma Lucy was 5'9. They got along fine. He kind of had to put his head on her shoulder when they slowdanced, but he was cool with that. She didn't wear heels when they went out together, but I don't think she minded. She thought he was awesome just the way he was. Also (and I don't know the reason for this) more jokes were told about how tall she was than how short he was.
Just ask Lovely 5'9 out, or ask to chat with her or whatever. And if she's not into you, don't assume it's because of height.We all have Insecirities, but that doesn't mean it is The First Thing Others Notice.
Best Wishes,
Kelly

Jul 5th new
It matters if people let it matter.
Jul 5th new

A gentleman's height truly doesn't matter to me. Short, tall, medium; height is a non-issue to me. When viewing profiles and meeting a gentleman, I only notice height as part of the whole package just like I notice eye color, gestures, and the way his voice sounds when I am speaking with him.

However, I must clarify that talking, dancing or holding hands with a man who is several inches taller than I is interesting. I sometimes talk to his chest or look deeply into his chest (LOL as opposed to looking deeply in his eyes LOL) unless the gentleman accommodates for my shortness with leaning down or looking down to me. Holding hands with a tall gentleman is also interesting-he is able to allow his arm to swing naturally at his side and I have to keep my arm slightly bent upward to meet up with his hand. This sometimes feels weird, like I am in the Statue of Liberty pose LOL

Anyways, being of short height of 5 feet 2 inches tall, I have learned to accommodate, communicate, and exist with tall people-it's a normal occurrence for me.

Jul 5th new
It will matter for some and not for others. While some women want a taller gentleman, often times it is the man who has an issue with a taller woman. However, I have known happily married couples where the wife was a good 4 to 6 inches taller than the husband. It didn't seem to bother them.

Jul 5th new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: It matters if people let it matter.
But the overwhelming majority of people DO let it matter, very much. Height suggests power and command and, simply because most men are taller than most women, registers in people's minds as a secondary sexual characteristic of men. I know a law firm that only hires tall men (or women of any height) for courtroom work--their height intimidates shorter counsel and impresses juries and, presumably, judges. Commercial airline pilots tend to be tall -- it inspires confidence in the passangers. CEOs are disproportionately chosen from among the tall, and there is social-science research suggesting that, certainly for males, every extra inch of height adds x dollars to one's income. One can go on and on. It's reasonable for women to prefer tall men because this increases the chances that their children will also be tall and to enjoy all the social and economic advantages that tend to go with that.

All that said, rules admit of exceptions, and it's not too surprising that, on rare occasions, the man who stands five-foot-six is happily married to the woman who's five-foot-nine. I'm just saying that there are good reasons why such matches are rare. Personally, while I can appreciate the beauty of a tall woman, my hormones simply shut down or go into hiding in the presence of one.
Posts 1 - 10 of 162