Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Have trouble sleeping?

Jul 9th 2014 new
So, when you have trouble sleeping, what strategies help?

I went through a period of disturbed sleep because I missed the snoring I'd been used to for many years. The solution was letting the dog sleep on the floor next to my bed. The dog had a very companionable snore.

What works for you when sleep is elusive?
Jul 9th 2014 new
It depends on the reason. If I can't sleep because I have too many thoughts in my head, then what works is writing things down on a paper. Once they're written down, I get tired and fall asleep.

If there doesn't seem to be any specific reason, then I usually just flop to the bottom of my bed and pet my cats or dog. That or I read, but reading can work both ways. If I'm too interested in the book it can actually wake me up more. smile
Jul 9th 2014 new
The sleep aid Zopiclone (Imovane) is very effective. it is not technically addictive but cautious physicians do not want people on it permanently. However, if the goal is to establish a couple of weeks' habitual good sleep.....
Jul 9th 2014 new
My doctor has me on a mixture of hormones. No more night sweats and no more waking up 2 hours before rising and watching the clock. I sleep peacefully the entire night and without being soaking wet smile
Jul 9th 2014 new
I have always had trouble sleeping, even as a kid. But, I have also always had a schedule too full to actually get good sleep. I've tried Sonata, which worked well and now I am on Nortriptylline which works as well. . . But, I cannot block out eight to ten hours for sleep so I rarely take it. My brain rarely goes still, so I lie in bed and toss and turn. I get up and try to do something else, then try again. My best sleep time seems to be about five AM, which of couse doesn't work at all since I have to be up at six to move among the day walkers lol. . .

I had a hysterectomy in December and was initially on a low dose, twice a week estrogen patch, but was having terrible night sweats and hot flashes which I thought it was supposed to stop lol. . . so I quit taking them and haven't had any issues along that line. I wake up every two hours or so, even if I manage to fall asleep.

I've tried the relaxation technique, where you start at your toes making slow circles and then move up your body at each joint and finally with you head and neck. That is relaxing lol but doesn't necessarily help me sleep.
Jul 9th 2014 new
I'm surprised to see 3 of 4 responses so far are medications. I was expecting things like counting sheep, warm bath, putting on music...

Jul 9th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: I'm surprised to see 3 of 4 responses so far are medications. I was expecting things like counting sheep, warm bath, putting on music...

I've tried just about anything ever suggested -- counting sheep, reading something boring, warm milk, hot tea, block out drapes, nature sounds, Of course the best thing that helps is not available to those of us who are single.
Jul 9th 2014 new
Clonazepam, at a low dose, worked well for me.
Jul 9th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: I'm surprised to see 3 of 4 responses so far are medications. I was expecting things like counting sheep, warm bath, putting on music...

I have a friend who is thrilled with an essential oil rubbed on her back or shoulders before bed. She said she is consistently asleep in a few minutes. She sent me the web site but I haven't checked it out yet. Oh, and she does not wake up during the night, like she was.
Jul 9th 2014 new
I always have a book I am reading. Usually I read until I feel myself falling asleep. When that doesn't work, I come out to the living room and turn on the TV and try to find some type of comedy. That will relax me enough to fall asleep on the sofa.
Posts 1 - 10 of 47