Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I can't remember when we last did one of these threads so I thought it was time.

What have YOU or OTHERS you have observed done which would qualify as "Good Deeds"?..or, What have you observed as "Good News"? (the world could use more Good News!)

Here we go:

The other night I had finished playing pool with the guys and stopped at a fuel/convenience center to fill up and buy a couple of items

As I walked back to my vehicle a gentleman who was parked at the pump behind me approached (I observed an older lady sitting in his car)

He said he was embarrassed to ask (and he truly looked that way) but explained he had left without his wallet to visit some friends and his mother (pointing back to the lady) carried nothing but change. And asked if there was ANY way I could help him out. So I said, "How far away is your home?" And he indicated, "Forty-five miles" So I gave him a twenty and said, "This should get you there"

He genuinely thanked me...and the lady nodded as well~

Your turn

Jul 11th new
You know, they could easily have been taking advantage of you, right? Still, I'd rather err on the side of Christian charity and graciousness. If I get conned every once in a while, that's OK.

I'll be setting up another session at Church soon to make Sleeping Bags for the Homeless.
www.thesleepingbagproject.org in case anybody's interested in doing something for the homeless in their area.


Jul 11th new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: You know, they could easily have been taking advantage of you, right? Still, I'd rather err on the side of Christian charity and graciousness. If I get conned every once in a while, that's OK.

I'll be setting up another session at Church soon to make Sleeping Bags for the Homeless.
http://www.thesleepingbagproject.org/about/about-us/ in case anybody's interested in doing something for the homeless in their area.


That is excellent Virginia! I'll look at the site

Yes....I have been wrong before... biggrin

Jul 11th new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said:

I can't remember when we last did one of these threads so I thought it was time.

What have YOU or OTHERS you have observed done which would qualify as "Good Deeds"?..or, What have you observed as "Good News"? (the world could use more Good News!)

I had surgery two weeks ago...some folks from my parish learned this was coming up, asked me for a list of people who had said they'd like to help and organized help for me.

There has been a nutritious meal brought to my home everyday, people have come to take me to doctor's appointments, help with hygiene, pick up groceries, or just keep me company.....someone even noticed that the lawn needed mowing and came and did it without being asked.
I and my children are very grateful.
We live about an hour from my family so all the folks involved are friends from church, work, the community and my children's school...people with no "obligation" but very charitable hearts.

Jul 11th new
(quote) Cindy-959808 said: I had surgery two weeks ago...some folks from my parish learned this was coming up, asked me for a list of people who had said they'd like to help and organized help for me.

There has been a nutritious meal brought to my home everyday, people have come to take me to doctor's appointments, help with hygiene, pick up groceries, or just keep me company.....someone even noticed that the lawn needed mowing and came and did it without being asked.
I and my children are very grateful.
We live about an hour from my family so all the folks involved are friends from church, work, the community and my children's school...people with no "obligation" but very charitable hearts.

Gosh......I'll say! That is wonderful news.....and great deeds performed by all!

I still believe....there are plenty of people who have outstanding Christian principles who epitomize the saying: "Action speaks louder than words"

Thank you for sharing and hope you are feeling better Cindy~

Jul 11th new
A 7th grader I know wants to play football this year. He's pretty near a straight A student and a great kid. His mom is a single parent, works full time and is finishing her degree- the money's not in the budget. Last I heard, he got a scholarship... shhh angel
Jul 11th new
(quote) Sam-427739 said: A 7th grader I know wants to play football this year. He's pretty near a straight A student and a great kid. His mom is a single parent, works full time and is finishing her degree- the money's not in the budget. Last I heard, he got a scholarship...
That is GOOD NEWS.....Sam!
Jul 11th new
My sisterAnnMarie's philosophy is to do a good deed every day. It can be big or small. I have an elderly friend at church who plants a big garden every year. I asked him if I could help after church last Thursday and he said he had grandchildren coming from all over to help plant. He said I could help him pick blueberries after church this Thursday so I went over after a couple of errands and he was standing in his doorway. He smiled and said"you know what time it is?" I looked at the clock and said "lunchtime?"

He had the table set and started taking food out of his frig to microwave. We sat, he said a blessing and we had a great time. After lunch, he gave me this plastic bucket with strings on it and said to tie it around my waist and he retrieved a hat for me and did the same. Out we went blueberry picking and he sent me home with all the blueberries in my bucket!
Did I mention this is my friend Angelo who is 100 years old?!!!

A good deed turned back on me. Great thread Jerry!
Jul 11th new
(quote) Eileen-890971 said: My sisterAnnMarie's philosophy is to do a good deed every day. It can be big or small. I have an elderly friend at church who plants a big garden every year. I asked him if I could help after church last Thursday and he said he had grandchildren coming from all over to help plant. He said I could help him pick blueberries after church this Thursday so I went over after a couple of errands and he was standing in his doorway. He smiled and said"you know what time it is?" I looked at the clock and said "lunchtime?"

He had the table set and started taking food out of his frig to microwave. We sat, he said a blessing and we had a great time. After lunch, he gave me this plastic bucket with strings on it and said to tie it around my waist and he retrieved a hat for me and did the same. Out we went blueberry picking and he sent me home with all the blueberries in my bucket!
Did I mention this is my friend Angelo who is 100 years old?!!!

A good deed turned back on me. Great thread Jerry!

Not just a "one good deed deserves another" story but a "feel good" story as well! Thank you Eileen

Just the other day I was having my car cleaned... and wheels and tires done.

As the young man was finishing the car.... I had him open the trunk to vacuum there as well. In there, I had forgotten about a portable CD player/radio. This unit sometimes worked...but the radio always did. I was going to give it to someone...and just had not gotten around to it. I noticed the young man looking at it. (his expression told me he wanted to ask about it) So I said, "Do you need a CD/radio? The radio works all the time...but you'd need to figure out what's wrong with the CD" HIs reply was...."Oh yes sir...I surely do...didn't have the extra money"...etc.

He then acted so excited as I handed it to him. And he said, "God bless you sir...for being so kind"

These words....made my day~


Jul 11th new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Not just a "one good deed deserves another" story but a "feel good" story as well! Thank you Eileen

Just the other day I was having my car cleaned... and wheels and tires done.

As the young man was finishing the car.... I had him open the trunk to vacuum there as well. In there, I had forgotten about a portable CD player/radio. This unit sometimes worked...but the radio always did. I was going to give it to someone...and just had not gotten around to it. I noticed the young man looking at it. (his expression told me he wanted to ask about it) So I said, "Do you need a CD/radio? The radio works all the time...but you'd need to figure out what's wrong with the CD" HIs reply was...."Oh yes sir...I surely do...didn't have the extra money"...etc.

He then acted so excited as I handed it to him. And he said, "God bless you sir...for being so kind"

These words....made my day~


Jerry,
I love stories like these.....ok, I just thougt of one good deed I can share
I finally bought my new keyboard for my laptop. Called my repair guy & he told me to come on down and he'd put it in fo rme. When I showed it to him, he looked it over and to his surprise, it was going to be more difficult than he originally thought. As I watched him unscrew just about all the screws from the back plate I told him that if he wanted to charge me a little more he could. The price he quoted was $20 but I gave him $30 instead. He was surprised by my kindness and was very appreciative.
I have to mention another good deed which was getting two cmers together but the good news is they weren't a match so the guy and I are back to talking. Now, that not only is a good deed but good news as well. (I'm sure this will put a smile on his face once he reads this post) biggrin
Posts 1 - 10 of 71