Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Who Are Your Heroes?

Jul 12th 2014 new
Hello everyone, just wanted to see who are your heroes in your life?
Jul 12th 2014 new

I remember being asked this by a teacher in the 8th grade. It was actually a writing assignment and a brilliant exercise in self-discovery. I remember running through a litany of athletes and actresses and people I thought were my "heroes", but every time one would come to mind I would think, "Well, is this person really my hero?" I realized that I didn't know anything about Rickey Henderson except that he was really fast and a great baseball player (hey, it was the 80s, I was from California, and the A's were on fire!). I didn't know anything about who these idols were as people. I didn't know how they treated others or what they valued or if they lived with integrity. In my 12 year old mind, I resolved that I had to be my own hero because if I wasn't living up to my own potential and living by my own integrity and exercising virtue that I could be proud of, then I was not living according to God's plan for me.

In hindsight, it was a bit arrogant to say that I am my own hero but I really didn't know anyone that I should look up to. As an adult, I have found many heroes in the saints. Saint Monica is a great inspiration and beam of hope to me. Saint Therese of Lisieux is a dear friend whom I try to model. Mary is so much more than a hero. On this earth, my father continues to be a man I look up to.

Jul 15th 2014 new
Lenny Skutnik
Jul 17th 2014 new
It sounds trite, but my parents, especially my dad. Both of my parents emigrated from third world countries to live here in the States and they have pulled themselves up from nothing to provide for themselves, for my brother and I, and their families back in their home countries. They never really talk about it, but they have set up a great example. My mom has a great faith life and has a way of bringing people to the faith and helping them out of difficult situations, even though she doesn't have nearly the same kind of head knowledge about the faith that I do. She reminds me to evangelize when sometimes I would rather not, for whatever reason. So yeah, if a hero is someone that I look up to and look to to model my own life after, then my parents are definitely that for me.

Outside of family, Joan of Arc has always been a strong model for me and my Confirmation patron saint. I was captured by her story at least as early as eighth grade and decided then and there that I wanted to be a counter-cultural woman like she was. I didn't necessarily have to fight in a war or something, but I wanted to follow God's will to do whatever He wanted, even if it seemed ridiculous by the standards of the world. I don't pray to her as often as I should, but she's still sort of my rallying point for what I want my life to be.
Jul 18th 2014 new
(quote) Pamela-880383 said: Outside of family, Joan of Arc has always been a strong model for me and my Confirmation patron saint. I was captured by her story at least as early as eighth grade and decided then and there that I wanted to be a counter-cultural woman like she was. I didn't necessarily have to fight in a war or something, but I wanted to follow God's will to do whatever He wanted, even if it seemed ridiculous by the standards of the world. I don't pray to her as often as I should, but she's still sort of my rallying point for what I want my life to be.
St. Joan of Arc is my hero too, and like you, I was drawn to her at a young age. I knew at around age 10 or 11 that I wanted her to be my Confirmation saint (as is the custom at my parish, I wasn't confirmed until I was 17). She was so brave in the face of so much going against her, and I wanted to emulate that. :)
Jul 18th 2014 new
(quote) Sarah-1110663 said: St. Joan of Arc is my hero too, and like you, I was drawn to her at a young age. I knew at around age 10 or 11 that I wanted her to be my Confirmation saint (as is the custom at my parish, I wasn't confirmed until I was 17). She was so brave in the face of so much going against her, and I wanted to emulate that. :)
Pamela and Sarah, if you haven't done so, you must read George Bernard Shaw's play St. Joan....I know he was an atheist and a communist but so what, he managed to 'get inside' St. Joan in a way that few have. And the speeches he gives her, at their best, are magnificent beyond description.
Jul 18th 2014 new
Yes, definitely on my "to read" list!
Jul 18th 2014 new
(quote) William-888220 said: Hello everyone, just wanted to see who are your heroes in your life?
Eric Johnson (musician), G.K. Chesterton, St. Francis of Assisi, a whole host of great writers.
Jul 18th 2014 new
(quote) Sarah-1110663 said: St. Joan of Arc is my hero too, and like you, I was drawn to her at a young age. I knew at around age 10 or 11 that I wanted her to be my Confirmation saint (as is the custom at my parish, I wasn't confirmed until I was 17). She was so brave in the face of so much going against her, and I wanted to emulate that. :)
Welcome to the fora Sarah! wave
Jul 18th 2014 new
Too many to list, but among those who come to mind at this moment are St. Paul, St. Edmund Campion, C.S. Lewis, Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Dr. Samuel Johnson, and Janusz Korczak. And despite his obvious flaws, I think I'd throw in Luther, too.
Posts 1 - 10 of 16