Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for supportive and informative discussion about divorce and/or the annulment process. All posters must have been previously divorced or annulled.

Saint Eugene De Mazenod is patron of dysfunctional families & Saint Fabiola obtained a divorce from her first husband prior to devoting her life to charitable works.
Learn More: Saint Eugene De Mazenod and Saint Fabiola

I found this web site readable and useful. Just passing it along. It addresses people who don't want to apply for a Decree of Nullity too.
www.catholicsdivorce.com

This book is recommended. I haven't read it, but I'm guessing it is good.
ascensionpress.com
Jul 13th 2014 new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: I found this web site readable and useful. Just passing it along. It addresses people who don't want to apply for a Decree of Nullity too.
http://www.catholicsdivorce.com/Annulment

This book is recommended. I haven't read it, but I'm guessing it is good.
http://ascensionpress.com/products/understanding-your-decree-of-nullity-a-little-book-with-big-help
Thank you for sharing this information but why do you think that "The Catholic's Divorce Survival Guide On Annulments" is encouraging people who don't want to apply for a Decree of Nullity to do it anyways?
Jul 13th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: Thank you for sharing this information but why do you think that "The Catholic's Divorce Survival Guide On Annulments" is encouraging people who don't want to apply for a Decree of Nullity to do it anyways?
Hi Joan, I may not have conveyed it well. I was under the impression the it was nudging/encouraging people to go forward with it, even those people who are sure they don't want to do it. Is that a little more clear?
Jul 13th 2014 new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: Hi Joan, I may not have conveyed it well. I was under the impression the it was nudging/encouraging people to go forward with it, even those people who are sure they don't want to do it. Is that a little more clear?
I missed this - It's encouraging everyone to take a look at the Process and look at the pros and cons of doing it or not doing it, and what happens in all those scenarios. Encouraging informed decisions rather than reactive or under informed.

Jul 13th 2014 new
Here is one excerpt that explains a lot:

Some say the US is giving too many annulments. Is that true?
In a certain sense, it's true. The annulment process, like any attempt to bring Truth and order into the world, can be misused. But many applications for annulments get rejected in the initial stages for lack of evidence.

For the last forty years, however, our culture has produced some of the most immature, selfish, entitled, addicted, and depressed "adults" who married too soon or for the wrong reasons, or who were utterly incapable of living out a sacramental marriage.

Perhaps it is not so much about the US tribunals being free with annulments as it is their recognizing the sad state of our culture and the need for grace.
Jul 13th 2014 new
Kathleen,
Some dioceses have the annulment support group "Annulment Companions."
They are a peer lay ministry that gives workshops and individual support for people considering an annulment or submitting a petition for one. They gave me the excellent booklet, Seeking an Annulment with the Help of Your Catholic Faith by Lorene Hanley Duquin, published by Our Sunday Visitor.

Jul 13th 2014 new
Thanks Kathryn. It's nice to know there is more and more information available to people.
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Kathleen-878558 said: Here is one excerpt that explains a lot:

Some say the US is giving too many annulments. Is that true?
In a certain sense, it's true. The annulment process, like any attempt to bring Truth and order into the world, can be misused. But many applications for annulments get rejected in the initial stages for lack of evidence.

For the last forty years, however, our culture has produced some of the most immature, selfish, entitled, addicted, and depressed "adults" who married too soon or for the wrong reasons, or who were utterly incapable of living out a sacramental marriage.

Perhaps it is not so much about the US tribunals being free with annulments as it is their recognizing the sad state of our culture and the need for grace.
The U.S. IS giving our too many annulments. Even Pope Benedict pointed out the obvious. Many annulments are rejected, not because the tribunal felt the marriage was a sacramental marriage, but because the paperwork was not filled out correctly and/or completely (I was told this just last week by my diocesan canon lawyers). If you fill out the paperwork correctly and completely the chances are almost 100% that your marriage will be annulled. The "defender of the bond" is usually a person with an education in tribunal law. This person is supposed to "defend" the sacrament of the marriage, in every case. Unfortunately the defender of the bond doesn't even live in my diocese and works as a contract employee for several dioceses across the country (from her home). There is nothing "professional" about the annulment process, though they try very hard to make it appear "professional". It is very subjective and leans heavily on the desires of the petitioner.
I would not encourage anyone to "seek an annulment". Annulments are not scriptural and were VERY rare before King Henry VIII. Unfortunately the church bows (heavily) to pressure and now grants annulments in just about every case in which the paperwork is filled out completely and correctly.
"The Roman Catholic Churchs practice of annulment is not biblical. It is founded on an unbiblical concept, that of the sacraments conferring grace. It is essentially an escape from what the Bible defines as a marriage. It ignores what the Bible does say about marriage, divorce, and marital unfaithfulness. Essentially, the Catholic practice of marriage annulment is an unbiblical way to escape from a doctrine that is itself unbiblical."

Read more:www.gotquestions.org
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Joan-529855 said: I would not encourage anyone to "seek an annulment". Annulments are not scriptural and were VERY rare before King Henry VIII. Unfortunately the church bows (heavily) to pressure and now grants annulments in just about every case in which the paperwork is filled out completely and correctly.
"The Roman Catholic Churchs practice of annulment is not biblical. It is founded on an unbiblical concept, that of the sacraments conferring grace. It is essentially an escape from what the Bible defines as a marriage. It ignores what the Bible does say about marriage, divorce, and marital unfaithfulness. Essentially, the Catholic practice of marriage annulment is an unbiblical way to escape from a doctrine that is itself unbiblical."

Read more:http://www.gotquestions.org/Catholic-annulment.html#ixzz37Q7wYx9o
The notion that the Deposit of Faith exist entirely in Scripture, known as sola scriptura, is Protestant. Catholics recognize that the Deposit of Faith includes both Scripture and Sacred Tradition. Anyone or anything objecting to Catholic teaching as being "unbiblical" would thus appear not to be Catholic in origin.

The teaching that the sacraments confer grace, whether it is found in the Bible or not, is a doctrine that all Catholics are morally obligated to believe. Questioning that doctrine as a means of attacking annulments is a clear sign the source is not consistent with Catholic teaching: with that established, the remainder is called into question.

Aug 2nd new
Although my annulment was granted more than twenty years ago and not for the purpose of remarriage at all but to test whether graces were present or not. It took over 3 years, partly my fault for not getting the papers back in a timely manner, I was the Petitioner but it was granted because of my immaturity at the time of marriage. I don't know why to this day
Posts 1 - 10 of 11