Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Grammar Guerrilla

Jul 13th new
I'm nursing an irriating cough today, which has me feeling curmudgeonly. So it's a good moment to play "Grammar Nazi".
On another thread a poster has used the term 'weigh station' instead of 'way-station'. The poster is obviously intelligent and can write, this has nothing to do with that. But it's curious how few people think about the meaning of the idioms we use every day. Clearly a 'way station' is a station along the way; if a 'weigh station' existed, it would presumably be where things are weighed, which makes no sense in context.
Another common one is 'give free reign' (some weird royalist/anarchist fusion?) in place of the correct 'give free rein' (as in, give a horse freedom ot run where it likes instead of reining it in).
"Plumb crazy", I'm guessing, means 'crazy to the very depths of one's being" (the reference being to the dropping of a plumb-line in surveying); the incorrect 'plum crazy' would seem to refer to a passion for purple fruits.
Unfortunately, once you direct your attention to these kinds of mistakes you see them popping out everywhere. It's enough to drive one plumb crazy.
Jul 13th new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I'm nursing an irriating cough today, which has me feeling curmudgeonly. So it's a good moment to play "Grammar Nazi".
On another thread a poster has used the term 'weigh station' instead of 'way-station'. The poster is obviously intelligent and can write, this has nothing to do with that. But it's curious how few people think about the meaning of the idioms we use every day. Clearly a 'way station' is a station along the way; if a 'weigh station' existed, it would presumably be where things are weighed, which makes no sense in context.
Another common one is 'give free reign' (some weird royalist/anarchist fusion?) in place of the correct 'give free rein' (as in, give a horse freedom ot run where it likes instead of reining it in).
"Plumb crazy", I'm guessing, means 'crazy to the very depths of one's being" (the reference being to the dropping of a plumb-line in surveying); the incorrect 'plum crazy' would seem to refer to a passion for purple fruits.
Unfortunately, once you direct your attention to these kinds of mistakes you see them popping out everywhere. It's enough to drive one plumb crazy.

I make those mistakes all the time Paul and my writing suffers for it. It's putting things down too quickly. And/or could be we/I don't "edit" often enough before submitting.

Down here in Texas anyway, some folks do use the term "weigh-station" when referring to the Texas Dept of Public Safety's (Highway Patrol) checkpoints for weighing truckers loads. Course they are also called "Inspection Stops"

Jul 13th new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I'm nursing an irriating cough today, which has me feeling curmudgeonly. So it's a good moment to play "Grammar Nazi".
The comment section at this link has some interesting information. You are right about the definition of plumb, but apparently the earliest use of the idiom has "plum."

www.merriam-webster.com

Jul 13th new
Hi Paul,

The sentence using " weigh " was about spiritual life/journey, so I would tend to accept the usage as we do often weigh ourselves in a balancing of goals and actual progress.

Jul 13th new
 It's enough to drive one plumb crazy.
hope your feeling better, seems that irritating cough is catching everyone off guard or when we are vulnerable and then wouldn't you know our eyes look like plumb crazy ...

could we possible use maybe by stating or using instead grammar police, grammar bulldozer, semantics sweeper, semantics bouncer, or bounty grammar hunter or something like that, what do you think or is it too much to ask??? .... crossfingers hug
Jul 13th new

Mea culpa! I AM guilty of the "free reign" statement.....which is terrible being from here. (I have held on to many a rein)

Btw, shouldn't it be "Grammar Gorilla"? laughing

Jul 13th new
(quote) Susan-1048377 said: The comment section at this link has some interesting information. You are right about the definition of plumb, but apparently the earliest use of the idiom has "plum."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/plum

If you mean the 1871 Atlantic Monthly piece, that was probably just a variant spelling or misspelling of 'plumb'. I will need a lot of convincing before I accept that the original meaning of 'plumb crazy', however spelled, had the fruit rather than the lead weight in mind :)
Jul 13th new
(quote) Jerry-730726 said:

Mea culpa! I AM guilty of the "free reign" statement.....which is terrible being from here. (I have held on to many a rein)

Btw, shouldn't it be "Grammar Gorilla"?

now that would truly be conspicuous laughing laughing laughing
Jul 13th new
(quote) Genie-920495 said: hope your feeling better, seems that irritating cough is catching everyone off guard or when we are vulnerable and then wouldn't you know our eyes look like plumb crazy ...

could we possible use maybe by stating or using instead grammar police, grammar bulldozer, semantics sweeper, semantics bouncer, or bounty grammar hunter or something like that, what do you think or is it too much to ask??? ....
Guerilla, gorilla, bulldozer, bouncer, it's all good. "Grammar Gestapo" might be politer than "Grammar Nazi".
Jul 13th new
(quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Paul,

The sentence using " weigh " was about spiritual life/journey, so I would tend to accept the usage as we do often weigh ourselves in a balancing of goals and actual progress.

But...but....a metaphor has to work on both the literal and figurative levels. Since there are no 'weigh stations' (stopping points along a journey where items are physically weighed), I'll have to invoke my imaginary Grammar Gestapo authority and rule it out with a simple "No weigh, Bernie!"
Posts 1 - 10 of 186