Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Just curious -the prenup discussion got me thinking of this.
Thoughts?
Jul 14th 2014 new
If I die while they are younger than age 30, yes, because I want them to finish their education and have a little nest egg to start out with.
Once they are all 30+, though (gimme 12 years), I'm going to live on a cruise ship! pirate
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: If I die while they are younger than age 30, yes, because I want them to finish their education and have a little nest egg to start out with.
Once they are all 30+, though (gimme 12 years), I'm going to live on a cruise ship!
I agree with Marge. Fortunately I have a life insurance policy so that would help. After they are set and on their own, no. I don't expect anything from my folks. I've always told them to enjoy their money, after all they earned it. Our society has gotten so materialistic and people (especially kids today) seem to feel etitled ~ very sad!
Jul 14th 2014 new
I tell my parents to spend their money and enjoy it! Do not expect a thing from them as they have already given so much. That said I do not have children of my own to change my prospective on inheritance.
Jul 14th 2014 new
Only the knowledge that they were loved and taught the ways of Christ.
Jul 14th 2014 new
Thank you -love Marge's comment of course!!!😃 My mother has always had the attitude of wanting to leave her kids(5) something and not wanting it all to go to a nursing home. I like several of you have always said that their money is for them. However through the years several of my siblings have fallen on hard times and my sweet mother has helped them financially. So
very doubtful anything left would be equitable(luckily I was not needing help). Don't know how some are going to react to that knowledge. Surely other families must have these same issues?

Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Russ-959222 said: Only the knowledge that they were loved and taught the ways of Christ.
And that, my friends, is a godly heritage!

Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said: If I die while they are younger than age 30, yes, because I want them to finish their education and have a little nest egg to start out with.
Once they are all 30+, though (gimme 12 years), I'm going to live on a cruise ship!
Hey Marge! I like your updated photo. I almost didn't recognize you. Really lovely pic of your lovely self!
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: And that, my friends, is a godly heritage!

Amen! And thank you Russ for the initial comment.

My mother always bemoans the fact that she and my dad won't have much to leave us because they have had some financial hardships in the past and are just catching up. She keeps talking about something or other in the Bible about parents leaving an inheritance. However, I have to believe that the inheritance God intends is one of faith and one in which parents don't leave their children to clean up their financial mess. So if my parents pass away and the bills are paid, and we all have faith in Christ, I think they have fulfilled their "obligation."

As for my kids, I will make sure they get their education if I die before they have left college, but truthfully, I paid for my own college education so I expect my kids to pay for some of their education. My biggest gift I think I can give my kids is to stay out of debt and leave enough assets to launch them into adulthood but I am not funding their adulthood.
Jul 14th 2014 new
On a lighter note, all of my kids are from China and culturally there, the oldest son is responsible for taking care of his parents in their old age because until recently there has not been any sort of retirement planning offered. Their child is their retirement plan! Anyway, when we adopted my oldest, we joked around with him that he was going to take care of us when we were old. Trouble is, this child isn't really a joking around type of kid and he took it to heart. In his younger days, he had designed many a home to provide me with my own "wing" in his house. Recently he's been talking about becoming a priest (I'd be thrilled but it's very early days for that - he's only 13). So he comes to me a few weeks ago all knotted up inside because he said he wants to be a priest but if he becomes a priest he can't build a house for me on his property or take care of me. Such a sweetie, but I let him off the hook. I told him that I intend to take care of myself in old age and to travel around the world.

We probably should have taken up this line of humor with our middle son. He is sillier and wouldn't have taken me seriously.
Posts 1 - 10 of 12