Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Judging Incompatibility

Jul 14th 2014 new

My pal Moderator Jerry and I have been having a little discussion that spawns this topic:

When you read a profile, how do you know that you and that person are "incompatible" -- rather than that there's nothing about him/her that grabs your interest?

Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

My pal Moderator Jerry and I have been having a little discussion that spawns this topic:

When you read a profile, how do you know that you and that person are "incompatible" -- rather than that there's nothing about him/her that grabs your interest?

Not believing in many of the church's teachings might grab me as incompatible scratchchin

Jul 14th 2014 new
I agree with Joseph's answer. Lifestyle preferences and sometimes background, such as smoking, may also help determine compatibility.
Jul 14th 2014 new
Not having "yes" to all the faith questions is a big one. Also, for me if they don't want a lot of kids or if they drink regularly. I usually just read through their profile quickly to get a general feel for how they talk and how passionate they seem about the faith. When someone talks a lot about sports I usually will not contact them either, as I do not even watch TV so that would probably not work out too well! tongue
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Joseph-1096406 said: Not believing in many of the church's teachings might grab me as incompatible

Agreed
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

I agree with the others about church teachings and being free to marry in the church. Other than that, I'm open to surprises. I'm not looking for an exact duplicate of myself. For example, I'm not a sports fan...but if he is, I will be happy to make chili on Superbowl Sunday.

Jul 14th 2014 new
Incompatible vs not interesting, hmmm, that's a good question.
Someone who has no sense of humor would find me an awful annoyance. I would have a hard time curbing my enthusiasm for puns. I'd say incompatible.
I'm also quite fond of small children, large dogs and the great outdoors. I could deal with a man who prefers cats, but not one who hates children or lives in a Lysol bubble.
Anyone allergic to cellulite could not possibly live in close proximity to me.
Since I will not leave my current family responsibilities, anyone who would insist on me relocating (more than a short drive) automatically disqualifies himself as a potential love interest.
If, however, he were simply bound to a location beyond my scope, that wouldn't be incompatible, that would be circumstantially unavailable.
Incompatible = we would drive each other nuts
Not a person of interest = not available to me

Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Susan-1048377 said: I agree with the others about church teachings and being free to marry in the church. Other than that, I'm open to surprises. I'm not looking for an exact duplicate of myself. For example, I'm not a sports fan...but if he is, I will be happy to make chili on Superbowl Sunday.

Sunday is a Holy Day to be set apart from the other six days of the week. The incompatibility would come in to play when he would rather watch football all day than celebrate the Lord.
Jul 14th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Incompatible vs not interesting, hmmm, that's a good question.
Someone who has no sense of humor would find me an awful annoyance. I would have a hard time curbing my enthusiasm for puns. I'd say incompatible.
I'm also quite fond of small children, large dogs and the great outdoors. I could deal with a man who prefers cats, but not one who hates children or lives in a Lysol bubble.
Anyone allergic to cellulite could not possibly live in close proximity to me.
Since I will not leave my current family responsibilities, anyone who would insist on me relocating (more than a short drive) automatically disqualifies himself as a potential love interest.
If, however, he were simply bound to a location beyond my scope, that wouldn't be incompatible, that would be circumstantially unavailable.
Incompatible = we would drive each other nuts
Not a person of interest = not available to me

Well said, Virginia!
Jul 14th 2014 new
biggrin @ Virginia
Posts 1 - 10 of 172