Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Java Addict

Jul 14th 2014 new
Are you picky about your coffee?

My late grandma owned a small family-run coffee plantation in Bali, so practically every and anyone there survived on coffee. My family spent an obligatory vacation month during summer break every year in my grandma's house. The best thing about waking up was smelling roasted coffee beans, because my grandma's sister would be roasting them in a giant wok on top of a stone pit fueled with coconut shells and chipped wood.

My childhood memory of "tea" time there was my grandma setting lines of thick low-ball (rock) glasses on the dais in the kitchen for her entire family (my uncles' and aunts', and mine, she had a massive house so everyone would gather there). She put 1 heaped Tbsp of ground coffee into each one, followed by 3 tsp of sugar before she poured boiling water from an ominous looking ancient black kettle. After stirring, we had to wait about 5 minutes to let all the grounds settled. Then, we took a sip and spit out any coffee grounds that still floated on top.

Yeah, she didn't ask how you would like your coffee. Nope. She just went ahead and prepared it the way she liked it, and as you probably had guessed, it did taste like sweetened mud.
But she made plenty of homemade sweets and cakes to make up for it.

After I grew up and could actually appreciate it properly, I like my coffee black and strong. I love Arabica varieties from Bali, Sumatra, Kenya, and Colombia.

What about you?

Jul 14th 2014 new
Vonnie, those are wonderful memories you have of your grandmother!
Me, I'm a coffee cretin. Even been known to reheat a cup in the microwave. I don't even have to have coffee daily. Shocking, isn't it?
Jul 29th 2014 new
Straight up -- no milk, no sugar cloudnine

. . . unless it "needs" milk/cream to cut too much acidity.

. . . and no artificial whiteners, either. crazy

But I drink my coffee Bulletproof (www.bulletproofexec.com): with grassfed butter and some MCT oil.

Jul 29th 2014 new
I've known some who reheat coffee in the microwave. It is not shocking that you don't drink coffee daily. Some people prefer other beverage in the morning. When I worked at a yacht club, some of the members breakfast of champion's beverage was bloody mary. laughing
Jul 29th 2014 new
I'm with you, Jack. Good coffee doesn't need anything else, as long you have good beans and pure water.
Jul 29th 2014 new
I've read about it many years ago. At the time I thought it was made similar to goor goor (tea with yak butter)from Ladakh. Baba Java doesn't seem like something that I would drink. I'm simple and like my beans the way it is, as long as it's coming from places I trust. I'm also not fond of flavored coffee.
Bulletproof sounds interesting, from energy/health stand point. How does it taste? I might try it just to satisfy my curiosity. What made you start drinking it?
Jul 29th 2014 new
(quote) Hunter-996560 said: Right now, my beans of choice are Baba Java (http://www.jitteryjoes.com/coffee/baba-java.html) - I had to buy it based on the name alone. (Heck, the name alone almost got a friend of mine who hates coffee to try it.)

But I drink my coffee Bulletproof (http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/): with grassfed butter and some MCT oil.

Sounds interesting. When I stray from healthy eating because I want something that tastes good mischievous I have a greasy meal (bacon, fried eggs, or pancakes, french toast), and I like to drink coffee with it not just because it is standard breakfast fare, but because the coffee kind of cuts through the grease.

Just wondering, as I have never tried it, does Bulletproof coffee taste greasy with the butter and oil?
Jul 30th 2014 new
(quote) Angela-374523 said: Sounds interesting. When I stray from healthy eating because I want something that tastes good I have a greasy meal (bacon, fried eggs, or pancakes, french toast), and I like to drink coffee with it not just because it is standard breakfast fare, but because the coffee kind of cuts through the grease.

You are my kind of woman. Coffee
Black, hardcore coffee, straight up, with a good breakfast!!
Jul 30th 2014 new
(quote) Jack-752986 said: Straight up -- no milk, no sugar

. . . unless it "needs" milk/cream to cut too much acidity.

. . . and no artificial whiteners, either.