Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

A period can do anything a semicolon can do, really. Furthermore, I am frequently seeing commas where a period (or a semicolon) should be.

Let the semicolon serve as a micromonument to emotional correctness. Thats where I am seeing semicolons anyway - after sentences as a proxy for a facial expression and thus some emotion.

I will still use semicolons when I am writing an address in a paragraph to separate a persons or entitys name from the street address and the street address from the city, state and ZIP code.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, aside from a ; itself?

Jul 15th 2014 new
(quote) Jason-184384 said:

A period can do anything a semicolon can do, really. Furthermore, I am frequently seeing commas where a period (or a semicolon) should be.

Let the semicolon serve as a micromonument to emotional correctness. Thats where I am seeing semicolons anyway - after sentences as a proxy for a facial expression and thus some emotion.

I will still use semicolons when I am writing an address in a paragraph to separate a persons or entitys name from the street address and the street address from the city, state and ZIP code.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, aside from a ; itself?

www.youtube.com
Jul 15th 2014 new
In Webster's classic play, The Duchess of Malfi, Ferdinand is struck with remorse and awe on seeing the body of the woman whom he has ordered murdered. He blurts out:
"Cover her face; mine eyes dazzle; she died young".
Put periods in place of the semicolons, and the subtlety is lost, it sounds like Film Noir or Camus in his tough-guy manner. Bleh!
Jul 15th 2014 new
But I like semicolons; I prefer the em-dash.
What I'd truly like to get rid of is exclamation points; especially when strung together!!!
Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: But I like semicolons; I prefer the em-dash.
What I'd truly like to get rid of is exclamation points; especially when strung together!!!
We should handle this the way Kyoto proposed to handle carbon emissions. Issue everyone a certain number of exclamation mark 'credits'. When you use yours up you have to buy them from others who haven't used up theirs -- or no more exclamation marks for you!! (oops, what do I owe you?)
Jul 16th 2014 new
What?! Get rid of the semicolon? It is a fine art to use it properly. Take lessons. ;)
Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: We should handle this the way Kyoto proposed to handle carbon emissions. Issue everyone a certain number of exclamation mark 'credits'. When you use yours up you have to buy them from others who haven't used up theirs -- or no more exclamation marks for you!! (oops, what do I owe you?)
I'll accept a half dozen semicolons
Jul 16th 2014 new
Without the semicolon, the great baroque cadences of Herman Melville, John Ruskin, and many another author would not have been possible! Vive le semicolon! Bow
Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Jason-184384 said:

A period can do anything a semicolon can do, really.

False premise. Motion rejected.

Posts 1 - 10 of 185