Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

How many years inbetween?

Jul 16th 2014 new
as the title suggests, I'm curious about your feelings on the subject of dating older, younger or the same age as yourself.
Past:
when I started dating, I looked for guys my own age although that mindset wasn't set in gold. I dated a guy who was 3 years older than me when I was 17. The next one was 2 years older then the last was my age. I ended up marrying the guy who was my age.
after the divorce:
I dated men my age and one 8 years younger. I got along well with the 8 year younger guy even though our tastes in music were varied among other interests. I dated him for as long as I was married, 7 1/2 years.
Present:
On Cm my age range goes from ages 58 to 62...that is not set in gold either. My theory is when dating you should at least have some things in common.
what are your feelings on this subject? I'm interested in learning how others here feel toward the dating range.
thank you in advance for participating!

Jul 16th 2014 new
I struggle with this question of age. I tend to draw the attention of men who are 10 or more years my senior. At this point in my life, that seems a bit much. Much as I'd like to think I'm not an age-ist, I get uncomfortable when the guy has more in common with my parents than with me.
Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Connie-17641 said: as the title suggests, I'm curious about your feelings on the subject of dating older, younger or the same age as yourself.
Past:
when I started dating, I looked for guys my own age although that mindset wasn't set in gold. I dated a guy who was 3 years older than me when I was 17. The next one was 2 years older then the last was my age. I ended up marrying the guy who was my age.
after the divorce:
I dated men my age and one 8 years younger. I got along well with the 8 year younger guy even though our tastes in music were varied among other interests. I dated him for as long as I was married, 7 1/2 years.
Present:
On Cm my age range goes from ages 58 to 62...that is not set in gold either. My theory is when dating you should at least have some things in common.
what are your feelings on this subject? I'm interested in learning how others here feel toward the dating range.
thank you in advance for participating!

My husband was 11 years older than me, and I would not find that an inappropriate age difference. My search range is from about 5 years younger to about 12 or so years older...not set in concrete, could be flexible.

I have to say, though, that I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of more than a couple years younger. My search range goes down to 50 because I'm trying to be flexible, and who knows, anything could happen. But I'm not comfortable with the idea of a 50-year-old.
Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Susan-1048377 said: My husband was 11 years older than me, and I would not find that an inappropriate age difference. My search range is from about 5 years younger to about 12 or so years older...not set in concrete, could be flexible.

I have to say, though, that I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of more than a couple years younger. My search range goes down to 50 because I'm trying to be flexible, and who knows, anything could happen. But I'm not comfortable with the idea of a 50-year-old.
I hardly noticed the age difference when I dated the much younger guy. Probably because he kept me laughing.He had a hobby of civil war reenacting which I also loved once I got into it so that alone kept us together. we'd do silly things too. Like the time we rode around looking at Christmas Displays. There were snowmen in the front yard of this house. Both of us reenacted the way the snowman was standing, which was very funny to us at the time. (acting childish and being able to laugh at ourselves).
The drawback to that was as I crept up in age, it almost seemed like he never had a birthday. He started making comments on my birthdays like, How OLD are you now? I reacted like that was an insult. He kept referring to me as his mother's age by then. yeah, we broke up soon after all of that started. no one likes to be insulted, even if it was done in fun.
Jul 16th 2014 new
My spouse was 15 years older than I, and that marriage lasted 33 years, until death did us part. At first I did not find the 15 year age difference that great, but that difference seemed larger as we got older. One of the reasons that relationship worked is that we both graduated from college the same year, so had that aspect of culture in common.

At the moment am looking 7 years plus or minus. I am not real enthused about 7 years older, especially since I am a very physically active person. Really I should probably set it at as plus five minus 7. That said, my own statistics indicate that women more than a few years younger than I are much less likely to reply.

Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Much as I'd like to think I'm not an age-ist, I get uncomfortable when the guy has more in common with my parents than with me.
Age difference, and more in common, includes ... from "Not That Different" by Collin Raye ...
I laugh, I love, I hope, I try
I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry
And I know you do the same things, too
So we're really not that different, me and you
Jul 16th 2014 new
For myself, it's a comfort thing. I'm comfortable dating upto 8 years older and a maximum of 2 years younger!:)
Jul 16th 2014 new
I refuse to date anyone younger than me. It's just not something I'm interested in doing. For older, I actually like using the dating age formula. I prefer to stick to 25-31, though I'd consider someone a couple years older if they seemed right for me.

If you don't know what I mean, here's an example of it: (it just gives you an estimate of where your youngest/oldest line should be)

Female dating age formula:

(your age) - 7 x 2 = (max. dating age)

example:

24-7= 17

17x2= 34

Male dating age formula:

(your age) / 2 + 7 = (min. dating age)

example:

34/2= 17

17+7= 24

Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: I refuse to date anyone younger than me. It's just not something I'm interested in doing. For older, I actually like using the dating age formula. I prefer to stick to 25-31, though I'd consider someone a couple years older if they seemed right for me.

If you don't know what I mean, here's an example of it: (it just gives you an estimate of where your youngest/oldest line should be)

example:

24-7= 17

17x2= 34

Male dating age formula:

example:

34/2= 17

17+7= 24

I have never like the idea of using an algorithm for dating More specifically age matching. Have you plugged some numbers into these equations? The age derived only seems plausible for younger ages. For example lets plug in 60 for the age of the lady and max age. 60-7=53x2= 106, REALLY? For male minimum age@ 63(round up to 64) /2=32+7=39 ,Another thing, You have only male for minimum age and only female for maximum age.
Jul 16th 2014 new
(quote) Amber-1078229 said: I refuse to date anyone younger than me. It's just not something I'm interested in doing. For older, I actually like using the dating age formula. I prefer to stick to 25-31, though I'd consider someone a couple years older if they seemed right for me.

example:

24-7= 17

17x2= 34

Male dating age formula:

example:

34/2= 17

17+7= 24

So if I apply that formula to my situation... 58 - 7 = 51 51 x 2 = 102 Got any centenarians here on CM? Oh, and sorry, Bob, you're too young for me.

It's absolutely ridiculous to think I should be dating someone older than my parents!

Posts 1 - 10 of 106