Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Whatcha got cookin'?

Jul 17th 2014 new
So, yesterday I spent too much time pitting cherries to make a pair of fresh cherry pies only to find that the canned cherry pie filling is almost as good. Mine had more actual cherries than sauce and was a tad less chokingly sweet, but for the time investment -- not a big enough pay off.
What have you got cookin' today? Or what have you made recently that was worthwhile?
Fair warning: I am looking for ideas for tonight's supper, so make it good.
Jul 17th 2014 new
I'm making casseroles and freezing them for the school year. Single parenting and working full time can get extreme, so I do my best to be prepared. When things get busy, I will pull something out to thaw in the morning and leave a loaf of bread to thaw and rise on the counter. When I return home from work, I throw both in the oven, make a vegetable and a salad and voila! - a hot, healthy dinner for the kids and me.

So far, I have chicken casseroles, pans of mexican tortilla casserole, chicken alfredo lasagnas, Italian sausage lasagnas and a couple batches of chili in the freezer downstairs.

As far as a dinner suggestion, I plan to make salmon with adobo, www.yummly.com, and saffron rice tonight, www.yummly.com, with a tomato, avocado and green onion salad. YUM!

Jul 17th 2014 new
I'm making casseroles and freezing them for the school year. Single parenting and working full time can get extreme, so I do my best to be prepared. When things get busy, I will pull something out to thaw in the morning and leave a loaf of bread to thaw and rise on the counter. When I return home from work, I throw both in the oven, make a vegetable and a salad and voila! - a hot, healthy dinner for the kids and me.

So far, I have chicken casseroles, pans of mexican tortilla casserole, chicken alfredo lasagnas, Italian sausage lasagnas and a couple batches of chili in the freezer downstairs.

As far as a dinner suggestion, I plan to make salmon with adobo, www.yummly.com, and saffron rice tonight,www.vigo-alessi.com, with a tomato, avocado and green onion salad. YUM!

Jul 17th 2014 new
(quote) Sam-427739 said:
As far as a dinner suggestion, I plan to make salmon with adobo, http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Magically-moist-adobo-salmon-296946, and saffron rice tonight,http://www.vigo-alessi.com/products/itemView.php?id=425, with a tomato, avocado and green onion salad. YUM!

OOOOooo, sounds good. I could do that salmon thing. Thanks for the link.

Jul 17th 2014 new
I have helped make some zucchini parmesan before. It takes a bit of time dip them into flour and egg mix and then frying up the zucchini. Then you add sauce and parmesan cheese layering and bake it for 1 hour and 45 minutes at 350. We grow the zucchini in our garden ourselves.

Jul 17th 2014 new
Nice. I only have zucchini blossoms so far, but the squash will be coming on soon. Thanks, Kevin.

Jul 17th 2014 new
Last night I grilled bone-in dry aged rib eye steaks and a selection of organic summer vegetables~beefsteak tomatoes, red bell peppers, summer squash with baby potatoes. Dessert: plum tartlets with vanilla ice cream.

Sam, great idea freezing meals!

I made cherry and plum hand pies on Monday. (Similar to a turnover except you use pie dough instead of puff pastry).
You have to make the most of the seasonal fruit and veggies! Next month the crops will become more Fall like.
Jul 17th 2014 new
I had leftover salmon from lunch yesterday, and jasmine rice from the previous day. It's almost time for me to go grocery shopping but too lazy to do it.
I still have garlic, and the only vegetable left in my fridge is cabbage, potato and onion. So I made spicy salmon and cabbage fried rice for lunch.
Sautee 1 clove of finely chopped garlic with about 1 cup of finely shredded cabbage till soft. Set cabbage to one side of the sauteeing pan, while you scrambled 2 eggs on another side. When the eggs started firming, mixed it together with the cabbage.
Add 1 Tbsp sambal oelek (spicy chili relish that you can get in Asian store made of chilis, vinegar, and salt), use less if you can't stand spicy, and cooked a bit before adding 2 cups of rice.
Break grilled salmon into flakes and add into the pan.
Mixed everything until the rice is evenly colored--and adjust the seasoning as needed with salt and cracked black pepper.
Serve on a plate or in a pasta bowl.
Garnish it with something on top to give it texture. I put lightly salted peanuts on mine, since that what I have on hand.
You can also garnish it with sliced cucumbers, or any kind of chips.
Jul 17th 2014 new
That sounds tasty, but my leftover salmon will have to get by with just a tatziki type cold salad.
Jul 17th 2014 new
Homemade mac and cheese. I make a basic white sauce and mix in shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Pour this over cooked macaroni and sprinkle more cheese on top. Put it in the oven to bake. It is so yummy and cheesy! Nom, nom, nom smile
Posts 1 - 10 of 23