Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Singles discussion related to wedding planning, engagement, and married life should be posted in this room.

Saint Valentine is patron saint of love, young people, and happy marriages.
Learn More: Saint Valentine

NFP Awareness Week

Jul 19th 2014 new
With this being the beginning of NFP Awareness Week in the US, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this discussed during the homily at today's Mass. Just curious if this was mentioned in your parish and what your thoughts are on hearing about this issue in homilies.

Greg
Jul 20th 2014 new
(quote) Greg-40084 said: With this being the beginning of NFP Awareness Week in the US, I was pleasantly surprised to hear this discussed during the homily at today's Mass. Just curious if this was mentioned in your parish and what your thoughts are on hearing about this issue in homilies.

Greg

Did not hear it last week, but will listen for it this week.

I would love to try NFP as I like all those biological, womanly, bodily functions things. I also think periodic continence would make the eventual love making that much more intense and richer. But, then, I know it's not for everybody. But, even so, wouldn't it be great if it was part of our Catholic culture and everyone tried it, at least, before resorting to chemical contraception?

Why not give nature a chance?

Jul 27th 2014 new
Or, why not give God's plan a chance. I can think of maybe two situations where NFP would be acceptable, and if it were me, at that point I'd just go back to being abstinent. I've gone 28 years without sex, I'm pretty sure I can make it a year or two here or there (or the rest of my childbearing years, as the case me be) if need be.
Jul 27th 2014 new
(quote) Aisleigh-411370 said: Or, why not give God's plan a chance. I can think of maybe two situations where NFP would be acceptable, and if it were me, at that point I'd just go back to being abstinent. I've gone 28 years without sex, I'm pretty sure I can make it a year or two here or there (or the rest of my childbearing years, as the case me be) if need be.
If you are married, you also have your spouse's continence to consider.

Overall, your point is well taken: we must be diligent not to fall into the trap of using NFP with a contraceptive mentality.

Jul 27th 2014 new
"we must be diligent not to fall into the trap of using NFP with a contraceptive mentality."
Agreed. I honestly believe that by itself, fertility awareness is fine, but the way some members of the Catholic community present NFP can be troubling. As Catholics, our default mentality as married couples should be a providential approach, rather than attempting to control God's design. My younger brother and i are not on speaking terms right now because he and his wife are using NFP without good reason. He didn't like that I called him out on it and hasn't spoken to me in over a year because of this. But as Catholics, we are called to gently correct each other, rather than turn a blind eye to sin.

Jul 27th 2014 new
(quote) Aisleigh-411370 said: My younger brother and i are not on speaking terms right now because he and his wife are using NFP without good reason. He didn't like that I called him out on it and hasn't spoken to me in over a year because of this. But as Catholics, we are called to gently correct each other, rather than turn a blind eye to sin.

Wouldn't that be like your brother calling you out on how much money you give to the church and charities for not being generous enough? If I had a brother who was a practicing Catholic and living out the church teachings by every sexual act being open to the transmission of life, I wouldn't try to judge on whether he and his wife were generous enough in the service of life. That would be for him and his wife to decide.
Jul 27th 2014 new
In fact, I don't really understand the concept of "contraceptive mentality." Where did that phrase come from? If you are practicing periodic abstinence and every sex act is open to the transmission of life, then by definition you are not practicing contraception. How do you judge someone's "mentality?" Probably we could all be a little more generous than we are, but does that mean there is a contraceptive mentality?

We honestly can't know what is going on in someone else's marriage and financial life. I think the best thing to do is to encourage people to follow the church's teachings and avoid sin and not try to judge their "mentality."

A lot of this "contraceptive mentality" criticism seems to be coming from the never married (bless them). Maybe for the sake of Christian charity you could assume that raising a family is a little harder than it looks from the outside? smile

(Note: I support all church teachings and would never advise or encourage contraception. It's judging others' "mentality" that I don't get.)
Jul 27th 2014 new
How exactly is one being "open to life" if they are deliberately avoiding sex on a woman's fertile days? as far as someone else's marriage goes, he's my little brother, I think I know him well enough to know when he's being open to God's plan and when he's being selfish. There is absolutely a such thing as the "contraceptive mentality". We're not supposed to use NFP for financial reasons, because everyone's finances are different. How much money are we supposed to have before we can "decide" that it's OK to have a child? One of my aunts doesn't have a lot of money, and she's never had a lot of money, but she and her husband make it work and their kids (all six of them) are perfectly well fed and clothed. But one of my uncles is used to having quite a good deal of money at his disposal, so if he or his wife lost their job, they'd be without the luxuries their used to, would that be a reason to use NFP? Even though they know that a lot of money isn't necessary for happy, healthy and holy children?
Also, "bless them" referring to those of us who were never married? Just because we haven't been in a tough situation doesn't mean that it's OK for those who were in that situation to chose sinful attitudes. That's like the pro-choice side saying "well you've never been pregnant and scared, so you don't know what you'd do, so you can't say anything." Actually, I know exactly what I'd do. Just because many couples use NFP periodically for legitimate reasons doesn't mean that everyone who uses it is letting God's plan into their life.
Jul 27th 2014 new
(quote) Aisleigh-411370 said: How exactly is one being "open to life" if they are deliberately avoiding sex on a woman's fertile days? 
By allowing each individual sexual act be open to the transmission of life, as the church teaches.
Jul 27th 2014 new
And deliberately avoiding the act on fertile days just because you want a fancy new car, that's in Church teaching as well? I must have missed it. Again, I know my brother. He's not open to life, he's open to life on his terms and only his terms. That's not what the Church teaches.
Posts 1 - 10 of 24