Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

"What a shame for the silence of the so-called 'civilized world'" in response to the tragedy, the patriarch told CNS via email.

tinyurl.com
Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "What a shame for the silence of the so-called 'civilized world'" in response to the tragedy, the patriarch told CNS via email.

http://tinyurl.com/kqbc5lb

Psalm 109

109 The Lord said to my Lord: Sit thou at my right hand: Until I make thy enemies thy footstool.

2) The Lord will send forth the sceptre of thy power out of Sion: rule thou in the midst of thy enemies.

3) With thee is the principality in the day of thy strength: in the brightness of the saints: from the womb before the day star I begot thee.

4) The Lord hath sworn, and he will not repent: Thou art a priest for ever according to the order of Melchisedech.

5) The Lord at thy right hand hath broken kings in the day of his wrath.

6) He shall judge among nations, he shall fill ruins: he shall crush the heads in the land of the many.

7) He shall drink of the torrent in the way: therefore shall he lift up the head

Jul 23rd 2014 new

Psalm 83

O God, do not remain quiet;
Do not be silent and, O God, do not be still.
2) For behold, Your enemies make an uproar,

And those who hate You have [a]exalted themselves.

3) They make shrewd plans against Your people,

And [b]conspire together against Your [c]treasured ones.

4) They have said, Come, and let us wipe them out [d]as a nation,

That the name of Israel be remembered no more.
5) For they have [e]conspired together with one mind
Against You they make a covenant
6) The tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites,
Moab and the Hagrites;

7) Gebal and Ammon and Amalek,

Philistia with the inhabitants of Tyre;

8) Assyria also has joined with them;

They have become [f]a help to the children of Lot. [g]Selah.

9) Deal with them as with Midian,
As with Sisera and Jabin at the torrent of Kishon,
10) Who were destroyed at En-dor,
Who became as dung for the ground.
11) Make their nobles like Oreb and Zeeb
And all their princes like Zebah and Zalmunna,
12) Who said, Let us possess for ourselves
The pastures of God.

13) O my God, make them like the [h]whirling dust,
Like chaff before the wind.
14) Like fire that burns the forest
And like a flame that sets the mountains on fire,
15) So pursue them with Your tempest
And terrify them with Your storm.
16) Fill their faces with dishonor,
That they may seek Your name, O Lord.
17) Let them be ashamed and dismayed forever,
And let them be humiliated and perish,
18) That they may know that You alone, whose name is the Lord,
Are the Most High over all the earth.

Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: "What a shame for the silence of the so-called 'civilized world'" in response to the tragedy, the patriarch told CNS via email.

It's safe to say that if the United States didn't play the pre-eminent role in creating this mess, we would be much more proactive in attempting to put a stop to this. (Look at the efforts made to protect a muslim minority in Bosnia.)

Unfortunately, if the Republicans call for action, it points out the folly of the war in 2003. If the Democrats call for action, it points out the Obama administration's failure to ensure the government was on solid footing before the American troops were pulled out. Ergo, both parties would probably prefer that Iraq simply go away.
Jul 23rd 2014 new
I wonder how many Iraqi Christian refugees the US (and Canada) will take in? I'd favor that.
Jul 23rd 2014 new

One really has to search out the news stories on this, because it is surely not covered much at all in the secular media.

It does make me rather irritated/angry that Obama does not even make mention of this happening. I think that is part of the reason why he is viewed as anti-Christian. I think that it would help him in relating with the Catholic Church too if he would simply take a few moments in his schedule to acknowledge/condemn what is happening to the Catholics and other Christians in Iraq and other middle-eastern countries.

Ed

Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) ED-20630 said: One really has to search out the news stories on this, because it is surely not covered much at all in the secular media.

It does make me rather irritated/angry that Obama does not even make mention of this happening. I think that is part of the reason why he is viewed as anti-Christian. I think that it would help him in relating with the Catholic Church too if he would simply take a few moments in his schedule to acknowledge/condemn what is happening to the Catholics and other Christians in Iraq and other middle-eastern countries.

Ed

Perhaps it has less to do with his anti-Christianity than the perception that any mention of what a mess Iraq has become is somewhat of an embarrassment to the US?
Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Perhaps it has less to do with his anti-Christianity than the perception that any mention of what a mess Iraq has become is somewhat of an embarrassment to the US?
I agree. Regime change is one of those things where be careful what you wish for you just might get it.
Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: I wonder how many Iraqi Christian refugees the US (and Canada) will take in? I'd favor that.
At least in the U.S., I think that these refugees should be at the top of the list to be let into this country (if they want to come). It is hard for me to think of a more dire circumstance of persecution than what is happening in Iraq right now. This makes even any problems currently happening in Central America pale by comparison.

Ed

Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: Perhaps it has less to do with his anti-Christianity than the perception that any mention of what a mess Iraq has become is somewhat of an embarrassment to the US?
We have heard hardly a peep out of him (Obama) concerning the on-going plight of Catholics/Christians in Egypt too.

Ed
Posts 1 - 10 of 14