Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

John Oliver's take on Prison

Jul 22nd 2014 new
Has anyone else watched this? I thought it was so interesting, funny, and sad at the same time. Please be warned, there is a little vulgarity here and there in the video. I have mixed feelings on prisoners myself. Sometimes I think our system is too lenient on them. Sometimes I think about how all who are able should really be put to work and prison should be a place that actually deters people from committing crimes, especially committing them again! But at other times I find myself feeling very sorry for some of them. Many of them do not deserve the terrible crimes against humanity that are allowed to go on every single day in American prisons. Not to say that anyone deserves it, I just tend to feel much worse for non-violent offenders than those who commit cold blooded murder, rape, abuse children or the elderly in any way....etc. I am disgusted and saddened by all of it. Unfortunately, it is such a huge, widespread problem by now that I dont see an end to it anytime soon. Anyone else care to share their thoughts? Lets pray for all those suffering in this broken system!
tinyurl.com

Jul 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Kirsten-1064175 said: Has anyone else watched this? I thought it was so interesting, funny, and sad at the same time. Please be warned, there is a little vulgarity here and there in the video. I have mixed feelings on prisoners myself. Sometimes I think our system is too lenient on them. Sometimes I think about how all who are able should really be put to work and prison should be a place that actually deters people from committing crimes, especially committing them again! But at other times I find myself feeling very sorry for some of them. Many of them do not deserve the terrible crimes against humanity that are allowed to go on every single day in American prisons. Not to say that anyone deserves it, I just tend to feel much worse for non-violent offenders than those who commit cold blooded murder, rape, abuse children or the elderly in any way....etc. I am disgusted and saddened by all of it. Unfortunately, it is such a huge, widespread problem by now that I dont see an end to it anytime soon. Anyone else care to share their thoughts? Lets pray for all those suffering in this broken system!
http://tinyurl.com/ml6xmy2

Several decades ago we decided to privatize many of our prisons. As indicated in your video it was a cost saving move to make them for-profit institutions which encouraged the system to increase the numbers. I read our prison population has increased 700% since the 1970's. Some call it the Prison-Industrial Complex. It costs more to imprison someone than to send them to an Ivy League College for 4 years. We should be ashamed that we allowed this to happen, but most don't see it as a problem. Very sad.
Jul 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: Several decades ago we decided to privatize many of our prisons. As indicated in your video it was a cost saving move to make them for-profit institutions which encouraged the system to increase the numbers. I read our prison population has increased 700% since the 1970's. Some call it the Prison-Industrial Complex. It costs more to imprison someone than to send them to an Ivy League College for 4 years. We should be ashamed that we allowed this to happen, but most don't see it as a problem. Very sad.
Thank you Peter for your response and thoughts. I had no idea our prisons were run as for-profit businesses until I watched this video and now I am shocked to learn what you just added. It is truly very shameful and sad, your right!
Posts 1 - 3 of 3