Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Well, What Do You Know?

Jul 22nd 2014 new
Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the "race riots" here in Rochester, NY. Less than 10 years ago, I was in a college History class with nearly all Freshmen straight out of high school. None of them had even heard of those riots and had a hard time believing the film footage shown in class. It made me wonder what other historic events happened around us that today's young people have no clue about. I'm talking local events more so than the biggies like wars and assassinations.
What's your experience?

Jul 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the "race riots" here in Rochester, NY. Less than 10 years ago, I was in a college History class with nearly all Freshmen straight out of high school. None of them had even heard of those riots and had a hard time believing the film footage shown in class. It made me wonder what other historic events happened around us that today's young people have no clue about. I'm talking local events more so than the biggies like wars and assassinations.
What's your experience?

Cold war drills in school, Sputnik, Cuban missile crisis, segregation, Bay of pigs, Gulf of Tonkin, The Pueblo,Watergate, to name a very few.
Jul 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Cold war drills in school, Sputnik, Cuban missile crisis, segregation, Bay of pigs, Gulf of Tonkin, The Pueblo,Watergate, to name a very few.
Of your list, Charles, the only one I remember having a direct effect on my life was the "duck ad cover" drills we did while I was in Kindergarten.
Were any of those events personal to you?

Jul 22nd 2014 new
"Duck AND Cover" Sorry
Jul 22nd 2014 new
(quote) Virginia-182942 said: Of your list, Charles, the only one I remember having a direct effect on my life was the "duck ad cover" drills we did while I was in Kindergarten.
Were any of those events personal to you?

The cuban missile crisis was personal, I thought we were heading into WWIII. Segregation was personal, Because I could not understand why people of a different race or color were treated that way.On a more local level, I remember when prohibition ended in Oklahoma, I was Nine, I remember Oral Roberts University being chartered in 1963.In 1974 I remember when karen Silkwood was killed, and in 1981 when roger wheeler was killed and Whitey Bulger was later charged. On a very local level, I remember when we first got dial telephones,(in1960) before that you picked up the phone and gave the operator a number, My Dad's business # was 108. I remember the first 4 lane from Sapulpa to Tulsa.
Jul 22nd 2014 new
Thanks, Charles. It's that personal experience factor I was curious about.
Jul 23rd 2014 new

I think all the rioting -- race-related and war-related -- of the 1960s and early '70s is a shock to young people.

I get mad when people moan that "our children live in an unsafe world". Comparatively speaking, I don't think so. We had a realistic threat of nuclear war, civil disruption in nearly every sizeable town, an explosion of illegitimate births, and rampant drug abuse (not to mention, horrendous changes in fashion).

And the fathers of the veterans we praise so highly today were spat on when they returned from Viet Nam....

Jul 23rd 2014 new

The biggest shock in my New England town is the prominence and popularity of the KKK here back in the 1920s. wide eyed

Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

And the fathers of the veterans we praise so highly today were spat on when they returned from Viet Nam....

It is sadly true. Public sentiment surrounding the Viet Nam War was divisive enough to spill over into unfair treatment of our returning men. I never personally witnessed such acts as veterans being spat upon. Perhaps, in the very conservative area in which I live, they were more honorably welcomed home.
I lived through the draft for Viet Nam. My high school graduating class was at the tail end of the draft. We were the first to be spared that obligation. Still, it was a very real factor in our plans for the future. Many of the kids I knew made desperate decisions to avoid serving.

Jul 23rd 2014 new
(quote) Marge-938695 said:

The biggest shock in my New England town is the prominence and popularity of the KKK here back in the 1920s.

But surely, Marge, you weren't around for the 1920's...
I know, I know, Quit calling you "Shirley"
Posts 1 - 10 of 26