Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Catholic Seminarians Boycott Graduation from Beijing Seminary
Conflict over excommunicated bishop may result in suspensions of seminary students and a loss of vocations
July 19, 2014 12:03 EST
By Anthony E. Clark, Ph.D.

China's Catholic community reeled recently as news spread that Beijing's seminarians had boycotted their graduation ceremony, scheduled for late June.

The decision was made after the seminarians discovered that the illegitimate -- and excommunicated -- rector of the seminary, Bishop Ma Yinglin, was scheduled to offer the graduation Mass. When the students voiced their objection to assisting at a Mass celebrated by a bishop who is not in communion with the Pope, the seminary officials suggested replacing Bishop Ma with Bishop John Fang Xingyao, who serves on the Seminary's board of directors.

Bishop Fang, however, also serves as the chairman of China's Catholic Patriotic Association, and since he participated in the consecrations of other illicit bishops in China, the seminarians again refused participation. These tensions follow soon after Bishop Fang had announced in an interview with the South China Morning Post that at last China "hopes China-Vatican relations will be normalized soon."

Bishop Ma was made the rector of Beijings seminary in 2010, but until now he has only issued diplomas at the seminarians annual graduation ceremonies; the seminarians were reportedly very disappointed when they were informed that an excommunicated bishop would be celebrating their graduation liturgy.

More at:
3261/catholic_seminarians_boycott_graduation_from_beijing_seminary.aspx
Jul 22nd 2014 new
May God bless these brave and faithful seminarians.

Saint John Mary Vianney
  • Memorial: August 4
  • Patron Saint of Priests
  • Praying

Saint Philomena
  • Memorial: August 11
  • Patron Saint of Priests
  • Praying

Saint Charles Borromeo
  • Memorial: November 4
  • Patron Saint of Seminarians
  • Patron Saint of Spiritual Directors
  • Praying

Saint Lawrence of Rome
  • Memorial: August 10
  • Patron Saint of Seminarians
    Praying

• Saint Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
  • Memorial: August 1
  • Patronage: for vocations
    Praying

_________
    rosary - God answers knee-mail
  • Jul 22nd 2014 new
    (quote) Jack-752986 said: May God bless these brave and faithful seminarians.

Saint John Mary Vianney
    Memorial: August 4
    Patron Saint of Priests

Saint Philomena
    Memorial: August 11
    Patron Saint of Priests

Saint Charles Borromeo
    Memorial: November 4
    Patron Saint of Seminarians
    Patron Saint of Spiritual Directors

Saint Lawrence of Rome
    Memorial: August 10Patron Saint of Seminarians

Saint Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
    Memorial: August 1
    Patronage: for vocations

_________
    - God answers knee-mail
    Prayers for them...
    Jul 25th new
    (quote) Jack-752986 said: Catholic Seminarians Boycott Graduation from Beijing SeminaryConflict over excommunicated bishop may result in suspensions of seminary students and a loss of vocationsJuly 19, 2014 12:03 ESTBy Anthony E. Clark, Ph.D.
    China's Catholic community reeled recently as news spread that Beijing's seminarians had boycotted their graduation ceremony, scheduled for late June.
    The decision was made after the seminarians discovered that the illegitimate -- and excommunicated -- rector of the seminary, Bishop Ma Yinglin, was scheduled to offer the graduation Mass. When the students voiced their objection to assisting at a Mass celebrated by a bishop who is not in communion with the Pope, the seminary officials suggested replacing Bishop Ma with Bishop John Fang Xingyao, who serves on the Seminary's board of directors.
    Bishop Fang, however, also serves as the chairman of China's Catholic Patriotic Association, and since he participated in the consecrations of other illicit bishops in China, the seminarians again refused participation. These tensions follow soon after Bishop Fang had announced in an interview with the South China Morning Post that at last China "hopes China-Vatican relations will be normalized soon."

Bishop Ma was made the rector of Beijings seminary in 2010, but until now he has only issued diplomas at the seminarians annual graduation ceremonies; the seminarians were reportedly very disappointed when they were informed that an excommunicated bishop would be celebrating their graduation liturgy.
    More at:http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Blog/3261/catholic_seminarians_boycott_graduation_from_beijing_seminary.aspx

The Catholic Church in China is not aligned with Rome. It is not run under the
    auspices of Rome either. When I was in China I found that out.

It is more of a faade of a Catholic Church. Don't know what is going on
    with the seminary though.

Jul 25th new
    (quote) Marianne-100218 said:

Yes Marianne. It has also been my understanding the visible Catholic Church there is not real.
    Jul 25th new
    (quote) Meg-920823 said: Yes Marianne. It has also been my understanding the visible Catholic Church there is not real.
    That is certainly true however the "underground" Church is still there and those souls are fighting with their very lives for their faith. Rest in peace to Father Frances and Father John two missionary priests of PIME in China approximately 50 years- I was blessed to know them in their later years when they were stationed at the United States headquarters of PIME in Detroit.
    Jul 25th new
    (quote) Kristin-926543 said: That is certainly true however the "underground" Church is still there and those souls are fighting with their very lives for their faith. Rest in peace to Father Frances and Father John two missionary priests of PIME in China approximately 50 years- I was blessed to know them in their later years when they were stationed at the United States headquarters of PIME in Detroit.
    Yes, they are very heroic. I'm confused though. This seminary is not the underground's, is it?
    Jul 25th new
    (quote) Marianne-100218 said:

The Chinese Patriotic Catholic Association is the state-run "church." It appoints its own bishops and rejects the authority of the Holy See. The CPCA was condemned by the Vatican.

According to the U.S. State Department, ( www.state.gov ) there are about 40 bishops and 12 million Catholics in China who do not belong to the CPCA. Some operate clandestinely in China, out of necessity. The state-run CPCA has about 5.3 million "Catholics" and
    70 bishops, some of whom are supposedly also recognized by the Vatican. But in general, CPCA approval is dependent on political reliability.

The communist state applies varying degrees of pressure on non-CPCA clerics and Catholics, up to and including imprisonment and martyrdom. But usually, it's low-level harassment aimed at trying to force compliance and membership in the CPCA.

I take the seminarians' rejection of the CPCA-bishop as a sign of loyalty to the pope and an understanding that a "Mass" celebrated by a CPCA-bishop without Vatican approval i
    s a fraud.

Brave men.