Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

It's Assad state of affairs:

What with all that has been happening in Ukraine (and the sky above it), plus Gaza, Syria has quite disappeared from the news. We saw this earlier with Darfur where, for all I know, massacres are still taking place. Few things undermine confidence in the press so much as its fruit-fly-like attention span.

Probably I could bone up on Syria or Darfur by Googling (or maybe not?). But that doesn't get the mainstream press off the hook.

I was put in mind of this because of a remark in an article by A.N. Wilson (Telegraph, Dec. 25 2013):

"President Assad is one of the few Middle Eastern leaders to protect Christians and their ancient shrines, and since the outbreak of civil war, Christians have paid the price for being the tyrants beneficiaries".

(Wilson, as you may know, is the witty and fluent British journalist/biographer whose books before 2009 reflected his skepticism and indeed atheism. But in that year he returned to his early Christian faith. I'm reading his Paul: The Mind of the Apostle, which was written in his atheist period but is full of admiration for its subject).

Jul 25th 2014 new
(quote) Paul-1049651 said: It's Assad state of affairs:

What with all that has been happening in Ukraine (and the sky above it), plus Gaza, Syria has quite disappeared from the news. We saw this earlier with Darfur where, for all I know, massacres are still taking place. Few things undermine confidence in the press so much as its fruit-fly-like attention span.

Probably I could bone up on Syria or Darfur by Googling (or maybe not?). But that doesn't get the mainstream press off the hook.

I was put in mind of this because of a remark in an article by A.N. Wilson (Telegraph, Dec. 25 2013):

"President Assad is one of the few Middle Eastern leaders to protect Christians and their ancient shrines, and since the outbreak of civil war, Christians have paid the price for being the tyrants beneficiaries".

(Wilson, as you may know, is the witty and fluent British journalist/biographer whose books before 2009 reflected his skepticism and indeed atheism. But in that year he returned to his early Christian faith. I'm reading his Paul: The Mind of the Apostle, which was written in his atheist period but is full of admiration for its subject).

They rarely talk about Syria on the news, but I did hear about it two days ago.

It is hard to believe that mess is still going on. I personally think that the whole
area would be much safer with Assad rather than the militants who are there
now even though Assad is supposed to be so brutal.

There is not going to be much of a country left for Assad anyway.

Jul 27th 2014 new
I came across this some time ago and saved it. It's dated but relevant:

tinyurl.com

The 'Arab Spring' has proven to be more of a descent into hell.
Posts 1 - 3 of 3