Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

A fellow Knight posted this on Facebook.


thosecatholicmen.com




Jul 26th new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: A fellow Knight posted this on Facebook.


http://thosecatholicmen.com/the-catholic-man-crisis/




It has always been this way. The same crisis existed when I was a boy.

Standard practice has always been more women then men active in the Church, and that is any Church, Catholic, Protestant, etc. Islam might be an exception, but that would be because they marginalize their women.


Jul 26th new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: A fellow Knight posted this on Facebook.


http://thosecatholicmen.com/the-catholic-man-crisis/




Hi Charles,

Yes, the fundamental premise is on the right track. I found the stats more positive than what I have read from other sources.

The percentages are not at all a recent snapshot. Some stats are from 27 years ago, and the most recent seem to have been gathered 6 to 8 years ago.

Jul 26th new
Most of those statistics did not compare Catholics to other groups. There are lots of nominal Christians who don't practice their professed religion in a serious way, regardless of denomination.

One Mormon mentioned to me "Jack Mormons", who say that they are Mormons, but don't meet the requirements to be a Mormon in good standing.

The Evangelicals are a little more passionate about their faith than the mainstream protestant folks.

There is a general decline of religion in American life, and certainly in Europe.

It is hard to separate out what is unique to Catholicism vs. general cultural changes that affect all religions.

One thing I did not see was the question of how much the father affects the practices of the children. Among my own family, if the father practices, then the children will practice. If the father does not practice as a Catholic, his children will not, regardless of the mom. Not sure if this is generally true, but it is what I observe.

Richard
Jul 28th new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: A fellow Knight posted this on Facebook.


http://thosecatholicmen.com/the-catholic-man-crisis/




A former pastor once lamented the number of fatherless families he saw in the congregation. I still see it today I'm afraid. We're meeting with some success in attracting younger family men into the Knights, but I don't have to tell you it's not easy.
Jul 28th new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: A former pastor once lamented the number of fatherless families he saw in the congregation. I still see it today I'm afraid. We're meeting with some success in attracting younger family men into the Knights, but I don't have to tell you it's not easy.
I think it is hard for men to ascertain how to be. Women now handle many of the traditional male roles. I find this unfortunate. We are all missing out.
Jul 28th new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: I think it is hard for men to ascertain how to be. Women now handle many of the traditional male roles. I find this unfortunate. We are all missing out.
Meg, I agree with you completely!
Jul 28th new
(quote) Peter-449116 said: A former pastor once lamented the number of fatherless families he saw in the congregation. I still see it today I'm afraid. We're meeting with some success in attracting younger family men into the Knights, but I don't have to tell you it's not easy.
Our parish has older demographics but we are having some success in getting younger men, Our council has been doing more than it ever has and we are stating to attract younger men.
Jul 28th new
(quote) Charles-976166 said: Our parish has older demographics but we are having some success in getting younger men, Our council has been doing more than it ever has and we are stating to attract younger men.
That is great. I see the same thing here in Kansas City. There are so many young ones in their twenties and thirties who are wonderful Catholics, husbands and dads. Their wives, by the way, are very much supportive of them being the leaders. smile
Jul 28th new
(quote) Meg-920823 said: That is great. I see the same thing here in Kansas City. There are so many young ones in their twenties and thirties who are wonderful Catholics, husbands and dads. Their wives, by the way, are very much supportive of them being the leaders.
Meg, I am very glad to hear that. There are many stereotypes and misconceptions about the Knights, including that the knights expects young men to ignore their families,etc.we are VERY PRO FAMILY. We are what I consider a spiritual outreach of the Church and here are some points I would like to make:

  1. Cumulative figures show that during the past decade, the Knights of Columbus has donated $1.5 billion to charity, and provided more than 673 million hours of volunteer service in support of charitable initiatives.
  2. Local fundraising by my council has provided several thousand dollars worth of food and hygiene supplies to a local agency, We support the vocations, we support the ultrasound purchases in the dioceses, and we entirely fund the largest private adult disabled living center in Oklahoma.We also have given about $1500 so far to help parishioners who were in need this year.
  3. There is no other lay organization i know of that has done more to support right for life.
  4. There is no other lay organization that has done more to support vocations.
  5. The order of the Fourth degree is the most patriotic lay organization in the Church.Btw, The pledge of allegiance did not appear until 1954 and and in part by intense lobbying by the Knights of Columbus.


Posts 1 - 10 of 12